• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I got a new hobby

This is my 22LR rat shot.

hqdefault.jpg

Is this what you meant by rat shot? I have some of that as well but almost never use it. The pattern is far too wide but it does work well for keeping the neighbor's unwanted dogs away. :whistle:

CC0039.jpg
Yep. 22LR shot shell.
I've never used it before. Years ago my dad used 16 gauge #8 birdshot on what we used to call a wharf rat.
One had taken up residence in my parents home that I grew up in. This one would make three inch diameter rat holes in the baseboard.
I woke up 6:30 one morning to the sound of his 16 gauge shotgun going off downstairs in the living room. My dad killed one that he had cornered. I also found out that prior to him shooting it that my sister had the bright idea of throwing the family cat at it. The rat looked at the cat and the cat looked at the rat and the cat ran away in fear for it's life.
22LR shot in this case would only pissed off the rat. Just the tail on that rat measured around 10-12" long.
The good thing after the rat's demise was that my socks didn't go missing anymore.

My friend had a problem with red squirrels getting into his attic.....he used "cb cap .22 ammo"

Yep. 22LR shot shell.
I've never used it before. Years ago my dad used 16 gauge #8 birdshot on what we used to call a wharf rat.
One had taken up residence in my parents home that I grew up in. This one would make three inch diameter rat holes in the baseboard.
I woke up 6:30 one morning to the sound of his 16 gauge shotgun going off downstairs in the living room. My dad killed one that he had cornered. I also found out that prior to him shooting it that my sister had the bright idea of throwing the family cat at it. The rat looked at the cat and the cat looked at the rat and the cat ran away in fear for it's life.
22LR shot in this case would only pissed off the rat. Just the tail on that rat measured around 10-12" long.
The good thing after the rat's demise was that my socks didn't go missing anymore.

The only time I have had some rats around was after the old guy up the road moved out and the rats that gathered around his placed started to look for a new home. They soon found out they were not wanted here. I know what you mean about wharf rats and their size but a 22LR would still take them out. I have had to take out several ground hogs here. The damn things would sit on top the wood pile and look all around.Even at 40 yards they just flipped over backwards and that was it. Raccoons not a problem. When my father was a teenager he took out an adult doe deer with a .22 short LOL. He said it amazed him and then he realized the crao he was in as he took his father's gun without permission.

When my father was a teenager he took out an adult doe deer with a .22 short LOL. He said it amazed him and then he realized the crao he was in as he took his father's gun without permission.
That's one of those moments when you could undo things.

I have to agree about .22 being good enough for groundhogs etc. Used them all the time when I had the farm in Ontario.I'm thinking .17 cal now for fun out here in Alberta and 12 gauge pump as a personal defense weapon for the mountains.

I have to agree about .22 being good enough for groundhogs etc. Used them all the time when I had the farm in Ontario.I'm thinking .17 cal now for fun out here in Alberta and 12 gauge pump as a personal defense weapon for the mountains.
I thought about getting a .17hmr. That's some whooped up ammo. I watched a couple of YouTube videos of some serious rabbit pest control guys. They leave a big hole upon exit.
I also did some research on this caliber. I found one guy in austrailia that made .22 cal. Barrels that tapered down to .17 cal. The results were where a .22 caliber projectile would only disentigrate upon impact with a steel target,the .22 round squeezed down to .17 cal. Would pass through the same steel target.
But of course,why do that when you can just buy a .17 hmr.

12 ga. ? Not sure if you are in grizzly country or not but 12 gauge would not be my first weapon of choice. My luck I would have grabbed the wrong shells and it would be loaded with bird shot. Just enough to REALLY piss off a full grown grizzly. :eek:
134px-Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

I thought about getting a .17hmr. That's some whooped up ammo. I watched a couple of YouTube videos of some serious rabbit pest control guys. They leave a big hole upon exit.
I also did some research on this caliber. I found one guy in austrailia that made .22 cal. Barrels that tapered down to .17 cal. The results were where a .22 caliber projectile would only disentigrate upon impact with a steel target,the .22 round squeezed down to .17 cal. Would pass through the same steel target.

Hmmmmm......there is just something about firing a projectile that is too small for the barrel that I don't like. I can't imagine the reduction in velocity that must occur. I don't know.....I would have to see it too believe it as not everything you see on YouTube is true. Shocking I know but it's true. I saw it on YouTube one time.

I like bigger calibers myself.
Side note: I can't find the 10 meter post I did recently but 28.495 mhz USB is busy.
Some operator in Johannesburg

Last edited:
I found one guy in austrailia that made .22 cal. Barrels that tapered down to .17 cal. The results were where a .22 caliber projectile would only disentigrate upon impact with a steel target,the .22 round squeezed down to .17 cal. Would pass through the same steel target.

Being an avid reloader for many years I find this hard to swallow. Firing one caliber round into a smaller bore barrel is just plain stupid if not impossible. The minimum that would happen would be the .22 bullet getting stuck in the .17 part of the barrel. The worst that could happen would be catastrophic failure of the breech or barrel or both. There must be more to this.

On a more factual note..I learned that a 5.56 round will penetrate the 1/4 inch steel plate on my handgun caliber spinning target. I though it missed it but when I checked it there was a perfect hole through the center. The 5.56 round at 25 yards went through the steel plate like it was butter.

I'll also endorse the .17 hmr. I can shoot sub 1/2 groups with mine at 100 yards. It's an amazing little round and the ballistic nylon tipped bullets will tear up vermin at that distance.

Being an avid reloader for many years I find this hard to swallow. Firing one caliber round into a smaller bore barrel is just plain stupid if not impossible. The minimum that would happen would be the .22 bullet getting stuck in the .17 part of the barrel. The worst that could happen would be catastrophic failure of the breech or barrel or both. There must be more to this.

On a more factual note..I learned that a 5.56 round will penetrate the 1/4 inch steel plate on my handgun caliber spinning target. I though it missed it but when I checked it there was a perfect hole through the center. The 5.56 round at 25 yards went through the steel plate like it was butter.

I'll also endorse the .17 hmr. I can shoot sub 1/2 groups with mine at 100 yards. It's an amazing little round and the ballistic nylon tipped bullets will tear up vermin at that distance.

Were you using green tip armor piercing rounds ?

The .17's are bad ass! Had one a while back. They shoot fast, and accurate at long range.
Their only downfall is if brush or even tall grass is in the line of fire, the bullet will disintegrate before it hits its target.
Wish I still had mine. A good groundhog gun, and fun to bust eggs with at 300 yds(y)

Here it is!
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0111/?Page=18

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2011/01/squeeze-bore.html?m=1

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.