• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the new Stryker SSB?

you plan on using it for rtty or packet? supposed you could use it for ssb but 10 would be better choise imho

dd18

1. does the optima have any ctcss tones?
2. if it does (ctcss) does it remain active in freeband settings?
3. does tx/rx shift still function on freeband settings?

Yeah thats right carl it was that other radio he said went to 12 meters10 is more active when its open anyways. I was just thinking best bang for buck.

AT-5555

I heard today that thousands of these radios have been ordered for Europe.
I guess they will soon be everywhere.
I wonder why ranger would want to sue for selling this radio in the USA but not in Europe?
I guess it is true.."The US has the best legal system that money can buy" ha ha ha

I heard today that thousands of these radios have been ordered for Europe.
I guess they will soon be everywhere.
I wonder why ranger would want to sue for selling this radio in the USA but not in Europe?
I guess it is true.."The US has the best legal system that money can buy" ha ha ha

There ain't much you can't buy in any so called western democracy,including the government or legal systems.These countries were built on corruption.And if you can't buy it you can always bomb their financial centres like the IRA did and that will equally effectively get you power.

As for naming the new radio,hmmm,cobra 148 gtl dx turbo would sell like hotcakes in the uk,the 148 gtl dx is legendary here beyond comprehension,with people paying ridiculous amounts for hacked up or modded ones,yet the modest ss360fm never ever reached that height of mania,despite it being exactly the same radio,albeit without a snake.

Nostalgia often overtakes reality in radio sales,as the cobra 200 gtl dx owners found out to their disappointment.What a pile of shit,the biggest let down ever,it promised so much,but delivered nothing.

The lack of the mic gain is what really surprises me - I'd rather have mic gain than echo. Hope they change that around for when it comes to the U.S.

I say $h1+can the echoe and put a speach processor in variable perhaps.
As far as mic gain once a person sets it then its set unless your on an older hf rig ofcourse then it has to be reset for AM and SSB.

I say $h1+can the echoe and put a speach processor in variable perhaps.
As far as mic gain once a person sets it then its set unless your on an older hf rig ofcourse then it has to be reset for AM and SSB.

Have to agree with Tony,if the radio is set up properly internally,mike gain is just a wasted control,more like mike reduce gain,although to be fair echo is a wasted control used only by the nugget fraternity.

A variable processor would have been a way better use for those controls.

Have to agree with Tony,if the radio is set up properly internally,mike gain is just a wasted control,more like mike reduce gain

The problem with that is the manufacturer doesn't know what type of mic the end-user will want to actually use. I would rather not have to crack open the radio every time I switch mics to adjust the mic level if the mic doesn't have the control to do so itself.

I agree with Moleculo - it definitely is something nice when trying different microphones or even in some cases I prefer to run gain lower for local and higher when shooting DX.

Opening the case every time isn't fun. RF gain to me is the same type of thing - I run it at 3/4 most of the time but sometimes I like to be able to open it up further or back it down.

Either way I think the echo is something you add at the end if you have room after allowing for all the true radio functions.

The Voyage 9000 comes to mind as a radio that lacked microphone gain and was annoying to operate (in addition to many other reasons).

It will definitely be interesting to compare this new radio against its competitors.

The problem with that is the manufacturer doesn't know what type of mic the end-user will want to actually use. I would rather not have to crack open the radio every time I switch mics to adjust the mic level if the mic doesn't have the control to do so itself.

Most after purchase add on mikes come with variable gain and sometimes tone too,if the radio is set up well internally just about any mike will work well on it,if the internal mike gain is set too high then some after purchase mikes will over drive the radio.

realistically there isn't that many add on mikes that will actually improve your audio,most just add background noise or other undesireable traits.The one mike that did seem worthwhile the astatic 575-m6 has been discontinued.

every time i hear bad audio,no matter what mike is used its because the owner decided that amc or fm deviation needed reset or increased to ludicrous levels or defeated completely and not because their external mike gain was too high.

The only ways i can see mike gain having any worthwhile value is reducing ssb drive or if your the type of person who likes hacking out limiters,which in itself is self destructive to good audio.Mike gain in itself is misnamed anyway,its a mike attenuator,not a gain control,the max gain is set internally,so its basically just a knob for knob twiddlers to play with,it has no real useful purpose if the radio is adjusted properly internally.

as for echo,in 32 years of using radios,mostly on ssb,i've never heard a single echo that improved audio,it is a completely worthless accessory for people who have seriously deformed hearing,a processor is the exact opposite,while it does detract from audio quality the trade off and extra oomph that a small amount of processing gives in poor conditions,can be the difference in making or breaking a contact.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.