• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the new Stryker SSB?

I agree with Moleculo - it definitely is something nice when trying different microphones or even in some cases I prefer to run gain lower for local and higher when shooting DX.

Opening the case every time isn't fun. RF gain to me is the same type of thing - I run it at 3/4 most of the time but sometimes I like to be able to open it up further or back it down.

Either way I think the echo is something you add at the end if you have room after allowing for all the true radio functions.

The Voyage 9000 comes to mind as a radio that lacked microphone gain and was annoying to operate (in addition to many other reasons).

It will definitely be interesting to compare this new radio against its competitors.

i'm finding it hard to understand why you'd want to reduce mike gain for local and run it full for dx,seeing as you don't benefit either way it seems pointless.unless of course you sit listening to your own audio via talkback.good audio is good audio regardless of distance.

the same applies for rf gain,why would you want to run at reduced sensitivity,unless you are being desensitised by front end overload from strong local stations.i find your reasoning very hard to understand.

Speaking of misnaming something.... mike is a persons name, either man or woman... MIC is the correct nickname for microphone. Sorry Jazz, I had to do it!:D

Speaking of misnaming something.... mike is a persons name, either man or woman... MIC is the correct nickname for microphone. Sorry Jazz, I had to do it!:D

can't all be perfect all of the time:D but while we're on the subject i suppose you realise pack rat is two seperate words,lol.

Not according to the oxford dictionary,the most trusted dictionary in the world,but then you guys never did master spelling in the english language,:love:

definition of pack rat from Oxford Dictionaries Online

:D:D:D:love::love::love:

Is youall reeferin to the Queens Anglish thar Brit boy?

Wel let me speak sum anglish you kin unerstand, dont make me come over yonder an whup you good an prper like we did way back yonder in thu sebeteehunerds. :D

On a side note, I absolutely love to listen to my friends from across the pond speaking. Some of the words you use over there that actually mean the same thing as ours do over here just crack me up.
I love the BritComs, especially Are You Being Served.

OK. Carry on with the real discussion on proper English.

Is youall reeferin to the Queens Anglish thar Brit boy?

Wel let me speak sum anglish you kin unerstand, dont make me come over yonder an whup you good an prper like we did way back yonder in thu sebeteehunerds. :D

On a side note, I absolutely love to listen to my friends from across the pond speaking. Some of the words you use over there that actually mean the same thing as ours do over here just crack me up.
I love the BritComs, especially Are You Being Served.

OK. Carry on with the real discussion on proper English.

being as i'm from glasgow in scotland the queens english is as alien to me as spelling english words is to you guys over the pond.as for whipping our ass in the 1700's,that is something you may well have done to the english,but no-one whips scottish ass.

incidentally the queen is a german,not english,the real name of the house of windsor is the house of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or to give it its proper german pronounciation Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha,george the v changed it in 1917 after the german airforce bombed london with a plane called the Gotha G.IV ,ironically no doubt from the area the royals come from.they also wanted to shed the image of the english/german saxon roots in denmark.

the royal family is as british as a big mac.the only true brits are the celtic people.

UP THE REBELLION AND THE SOON TO BE SOCIALST PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SCOTLAND,ALBA GU BRATH.Death to the infidels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thig ar Latha,Saor Alba

during world war one the Germans nicknamed our regiments "devils in skirts" or "ladies from hell" because we kick ASS.

In every war Britain has fought Scottish or Irish troops are the front line along with our friends from Nepal the gurkhas.the English are generally about 10 miles behind us drinkjing tea and talking pish,thats their strongpoint.the vast majority of the SAS (Scottish Ass Savers) will be Scottish or Irish too.

our country and my city in particular is one of the hardest places on this planet,it shapes our views and our opinions,but we are also some of the warmest most hospitable people to outsiders.

i'm finding it hard to understand why you'd want to reduce mike gain for local and run it full for dx,seeing as you don't benefit either way it seems pointless.unless of course you sit listening to your own audio via talkback.good audio is good audio regardless of distance.

the same applies for rf gain,why would you want to run at reduced sensitivity,unless you are being desensitised by front end overload from strong local stations.i find your reasoning very hard to understand.

As you stated in your prior post - specifically to reduce SSB output on radios not equipped with variable ouput. While variable output is becoming almost commonplace on most radios these days - in many cases the variable output control itself does not work well in all modes.

In reference to RF gain - occasionally I like to be able to fade out certain distant troublemakers when having conversations with stronger local stations. Also as you stated in your post the other nice use is to prevent overloading as the majority of people run radios in the mobile.

Mole I was looking at it as once you have a mic that sounds good you set it and your done well most people are but theres that other group that once you tell them they sound great or perfect they instantly pull the mic off screw with all the settings and mess around night after night trying to get a mic sounding good that sounds like hes talking through a peice of cellophane more and more with every tweek he does. Then he gets pi$$ed off and snotty because people tell him its just not right like the other mic that was at one time perfect. You dont need to fix what isnt broke ;)

As you stated in your prior post - specifically to reduce SSB output on radios not equipped with variable ouput. While variable output is becoming almost commonplace on most radios these days - in many cases the variable output control itself does not work well in all modes.

In reference to RF gain - occasionally I like to be able to fade out certain distant troublemakers when having conversations with stronger local stations. Also as you stated in your post the other nice use is to prevent overloading as the majority of people run radios in the mobile.

Fair points,

but this radio has rf gain and squelch so idiot removal/front end overload shouldn't be a problem.the var power only works on AM/FM,but it may be possible to rewire it for ssb too depending on the circuit design and your own competance/possibly utilising the useless echo controls.the power level seems sensible for local and dx use so might not pose the problems you envisage.most add on mic's have variable gain so that shouldn't be a problem if the internal mic level is set properly.

the maker has posted on tm1 in the uk that they are looking for dealers and are flexible how the radio is set up,so mic gain possiby processing instead of echo too could be added as standard depending on who imports them.

tony has a valid point above,the people who tend to play with mic gain will never be happy and are just knob twiddlers for the sake of it.in my experience they are the same type of people who whack the covers off nightly trying to improve on everything without test gear or knowledge and inevitably f@ck the radio up and it ends up on e bay for some poor unsuspecting buyer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.