• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the new Stryker SSB?

Also the SSB handheld from dragon is being re - released. I heard Magnum may have the rights for the US...Sam may already be looking at them...pretty much the same as before with a few new parts but no new features.
There you go.....

I heard that was looming about a year back,think it might prove popular as there is a huge market for second hand ones that draw unbelievable prices taking into account they weren't that great performance wise,like most handheld units.

Not a Ranger, but has copied some things they cannot sell here, so if it is sold there is going to be a lawsuit, for sure.

if not ranger then who? giant electronics hk or maxon korea or someone else?

would the threat of a lawsuit apply in the uk or other european countries where i'm certain they will appear?

i'm still curious with your love of lawsuits why there is no trace of one against ranger rci for ripping off the pb010 uniden chassis when making the ept3600 series,i still think ranger rci and uniden have common interests or have had certain factories under their wing been bought over and incorporated into rci but there's no trace of that either,come on shioda,satisfy my curiosity,please.feel free to pm me if you don't want to say openly.

law suit

Nobody is going to sue anybody for anything in CB radio these days. All the designs are in the public domain. Using competitor names and brands probably yes....But for this board or any other....I don't think so. Just how many really different boards are there out there today anyway? Two? Five? Not many!

Nobody is going to sue anybody for anything in CB radio these days. All the designs are in the public domain. Using competitor names and brands probably yes....But for this board or any other....I don't think so. Just how many really different boards are there out there today anyway? Two? Five? Not many!

i think shiodas threat of lawsuits would be aimed at stateside retailers more than manufacturers,trying to get lawsuits in china,hong kong or korea could prove somewhat difficult i would imagine,especially for a US company.

i'm sure he could clarify that for us too Dave.

How many different boards,thats a good question,very few i'd envisage,nearly all are based in one way or another on the original uniden pb010ab chassis be they leaded mount devices or smt devices with the odd modification here or there.There has been little new in export design in 30 years outwith the use of cpu's instead of pll chips,but basically the rf circuits are still the same.

Hi guys, I have them and can sell them into the US but the freight will be high.
I think I can land them on your door step courier paid for US$285 ea. 5 to a carton or singles.
it is a strange radio...I wasn't too impressed but you can buy a programming cable and upload what ever frequencies you want between 25.5 and 30mhz into the 6 bands of 60ch.
Anyway check my blog for more photos and details of the program. Needs a PC and the cable. (US$8.00) Cable fits into a slot in the mother board. This thing will take you places you have never been before with a CB./10m rig. Dual IRf520 mosfets but set for 21w PEP so runs clean and cool. No bloody mic gain which is a bummer in my book. General design is similar to the norm but all SMD so fiddly. Very neat board. New front panels are blank. Will be going on sale in the EU for about 200 euros. Not sure if anyone has picked them up in the USA yet.
Also the SSB handheld from dragon is being re - released. I heard Magnum may have the rights for the US...Sam may already be looking at them...pretty much the same as before with a few new parts but no new features.
There you go.....

Well Dave's pricing seems spot on the money,as they are being advertised in europe as the comtex cs 1000dx at 199 euro (traditionally any radio with com in the title hails from maxon korea,god i hope not),which is about 166 uk pounds,with postage would bring you to roughly the same price as dave is quoting delivered from New Zealand.

At that price they are only slightly dearer than european ss3900 radios from crt and slightly less expensive than most magnum radios here,this radio may well cause some upsets at that price,which in my opinion for what it offers is very competitive,all reports coming from europe suggest they are very reliable and pretty stable frequency wise,although i'd like to see that personally.

21w pep seems sensible for those transistors too.

Absolutely love the pc programmable bandplan,might stop assholes fitting uk40 eproms with their blowtorches and destroying quality ssb export radios.Now anyone can have uk40 1-40 readout and not a hacked radio in sight,that can only be good.

Questions

Could you imagine the very honorable Mr Peng going out of his way to go to court in the US or anywhere else?
Ranger have been sourcing boards from various manufacturers for years when demand overcomes supply.
Most of the new stuff for 10-11m is out of china these days. Dragon are still going strong in the Philipines. No idea where president are getting their stuff made. They keep it hidden and the prices high.
Who came up with the design criteria for this Radio which I will call a AT-5555 is anybody's guess. But somebody did spend a lot of time redesigning the board and getting all that software together to make it work. I think they could have done a whole lot more and reduced the price by incorporating a lot more into the software and doing away with some of the knobs and switches. Everything could have been done in software just keeping a volume, Squelch, rf gain , mic gain on the outside. And the clarifier - it has almost become a function control. And no memories? Admittedly: you could program it with 360 memory channels but it would be nice to have a few memories off the front panel like the 257. Makes life easy when you are driving to check out the band. A band switch on a radio like this..clunky..just push a button and cycle through them. They have gone so far and stopped way short of what I feel they could have achieved when it comes to the operation of this radio. Like everything these days was it designed by a committee? They just had to have something for everyone....
Why 60 channels per band? They can probably reprogram it for 100 or more if they wanted. I think they could have had 24-29 off the band switch with a software option for 5 or 10khz channel spacing. Trust me, as it stands working the zeros on this radio sux until you reprogram it. 10m with 5khz steps is fine especially with the 1khz mode of the clarifier to get around.
10m FM repeaters is a breeze too..just program them all in; pick a band; you have 6 of them! The audio is clear but lacks grunt. Nothing that can't be improved and that is the point here...just where will they go with this radio next. We may have only just seen Ver 1. There could be a really neat 10m ham rig hiding in that case. I wonder what other software they can bring out for this radio in the future....As it stands it won't kick the 257 or optima out of my car...but it is a tidy little package and very pleasing to the eye ( despite the bright green channel LEDS) And it is not a bad radio to boot!

Very interesting to say the least. To bad RCI is now the only company giving us export radios we can actually get into the 12 meter band with :( I thought forsure this radio would be capable of 10 11 12 meters which gives me more use for the money.

Now I also imagine that these will also need clarifier modifications or is there a shift key??

Clarifier

Trust me. This radio does not need any clarifier modifications!
The clarifier has 4 modes RX only, tx only, and rx/tx together. I forgotton the 4th..something daft. it can shift the radio in 10hz, 100hz, 1khz and 10khz but it can only operate over a +/-10khz span. then you have to move the channel selector.

Very cool I was just reading the review it it at first seemed scary but then pretty basic as far as programming it. Is there a warranty on these of any sort?? The only thing scaring me is if the radio falls on its face I am guessing I would have to ship it out of the country again. :eek:

10-12m radios

We have one radio out already that tunes from 24.5 to 29.999 mhz.
It is the Optima. Looks like a magnum 257 with a white screen.
Works like a Magnum 257 too with a few differences:
It is one band from 24.5 to 29.999 No gaps. Shift adjustable to +/-999khz
Memory scan. (try that on a m257!) Memories never disappear, radio plugged in or not until changed. The standard 5 memories and input method. The step function has been altered slightly...you can scroll up or down the band from one end to the other in any of the steps, 1khz, 10khz, 100khz. Press button 2 to go up 1mhz. No more spinning around in 10khz circles.
And..the default step is 5khz.
Power is 45-50w from 2ea IRF520 mosfets and the heatsink has its own fan.

Internally using the 4 jumpers you have 4 options.
One is the NZ 40 ch CB in 10khz steps
two is the US 40 ch CB in 10khz steps
Three is 10m and 12m only (Street legal, almost)
Four is the freeband mode described above.

Yup ...a bit more expensive than a 257...but well worth the money and cheaper than a 2950 for those who want some good SSB audio and less white noise on receive. If you are into AM then you should probably look elsewhere.
I am sure we could replace the NZ 40ch CB option with the UK FM but we have not got round to switching the operating modes from outside the radio yet.

just out of curiosity Dave,i had a look at the programming software shots on your blog,can it be made to read out ch3A ch7A,or would the five alphas per band need to be added as 41-45 to avoid messing up the other ch's sequence on each band?

Have not definitely heard from Ranger that it is or is not their radio and Ranger does have a programmable radio designed for Europe, but this radio does not look like the pictures I have seen of that radio. As said, from what I see in the pictures there are some things on that radio which are protected IP of Ranger. If not a Ranger, and I believe it is not, and sold here, someone is getting sued.

We have one radio out already that tunes from 24.5 to 29.999 mhz.

It is the Optima.

A month or so ago I read the Optima was to have a selectable IF filter and a fan on the PA, can you confirm this? Also what about CTCSS on the Optima and AT-5555/Comtex CS-1000 DX and whatever other label they will have.

logo.gif
R.I.P.

Have not definitely heard from Ranger that it is or is not their radio and Ranger does have a programmable radio designed for Europe, but this radio does not look like the pictures I have seen of that radio. As said, from what I see in the pictures there are some things on that radio which are protected IP of Ranger. If not a Ranger, and I believe it is not, and sold here, someone is getting sued.

The plot thickens! another programmable radio destined for europe,that wouldn't be the comtex cs1000 would it? ,which looks exactly the same and is already in europe.

i'm assuming its for crt france if ranger made,any pics?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.