• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257hp Garbage

I had purchased one of the recent Magnum 257HP for a friend and it recently failed. He sent it in for repair and it came back working great and then crapped out again yesterday.

Based on the feedback here and my friends experience I think I'll have to update my review with some info regarding this current run of Mag257HP's. Although I personally never had any problems I also did my testing many months ago before a lot of the current complaints have come up regarding the recent production models.

I'm going to email Sam Lewis and see if he'd like to comment on this and see if they are aware of the problem and if it is being resolved.

I'm sure he's aware of the problem, last time I called one of his comments was "oh my another", so take that with a grain of salt, was the meaning another 257HP or was the comment about my radio having a problem again, not sure but no doubt there is an issue with this last batch of 257HP radios.

re

ups is picking it up Monday or Tuesday not sure
were it is going. i think he did say Tennessee

re

mine is on its way to precision audio in DE.
ive never heard of that shop. but that's were sam has it going for the 4th time
it better come back fixed this time.

Sam had me send one of my 257's there when I tired to wire an adapter, touched the center pin with the voltage and blew out that capaciator so I had no audio. It was about a week and a little turn around so you should be ok

ups is picking it up Monday or Tuesday not sure
were it is going. i think he did say Tennessee

is the name of the company Mountain View Electronics in TENN. i've heard really good things about that shop. i need a place to send my radios for repair no one on the Wash DC area is very good.

cool

Sam had me send one of my 257's there when I tired to wire an adapter, touched the center pin with the voltage and blew out that capaciator so I had no audio. It was about a week and a little turn around so you should be ok

cool thanks

I have had very good experiences with Mountain View Electronics, nice guys and know a lot about Magnums, my regular repair guy sent me to them saying he thought they were very good with Magnums also;)

257hp

Hi, just went to order 2x 257hps from gi joes sent the card details .payment received . then I get an email, 1 radio in stock and 1 on backorder. I cancelled the order. the extra freight to Aust would have been a killer. Sounds like I just avoided a bullet. What radio should i get and who is good to deal with ?( not happy that gi's accepted payment then backordered me) I'm an old ex full call just getting back into it and plan to run 10 and 11 meters.

Had trouble with GI JOES would never buy from them ever try Sparkys at least he's honest and can fix radios Sparky checks them before they leave too

having them do a check first is nice but may not reveal the potential problems with these radios.

my first radio lost the alc for ssb with the hour of usage.

second radio had no audio ( speaker wire not soldered).

this second radio is back in the shop and awaiting it's return.

FOLKS - don't forget, rf limited will refund shipping costs for thier radios if it's still under warranty. something i didn't know the first time i sent the 257Hp back for repairs.

:)Yes Sam Lewis is very helpful and a great business owner, he will do just anything to make a customer happy including sending you a check for shipping that you might have spent to get a radio repaired

Thinking of buying a Yeti Optima or a ranger 2950 instead. Shame I could have bought 2x 257 for the price of a Optima!

Being in AUS, your Tech Support would be much closer for the Yeti.....

RCI 2950 DX second version is a smoking machine. Have one bone stock and aligned, and most folks think I'm running a base in my truck. Also mated to a Wislon 1K w/Cobra 350XL. Even more enjoyable is talking with your neighbors from Washington State. ;)

Cheers!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.