• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 5001z. What is it?

I had a day head start <shrug>
Did they send you a tracking email or anything before you received it?

My order was on the 12th and currently says -

Processing (ships from the factory)

Tracking Not Available
1650010_114x114.jpg

This Item Is No Longer Available Online
Midland 40-Channel CB Radio — Model# 5001Z
Item# 1650010
$15.98 (2 at $7.99)
Product Manual (pdf)

Reactions: cralt
OK I let the little midland warm up and it seems to do what it says on the box.
Audio is not bad.
Dead key 3.42 watts.
-130hz off freq
midlanddk.jpg
Clean TX audio at 90% mod (1K tone)
midlandmod.jpg
RX sensitivity is -107.5 dBm @12db sinad (30% mod)
S9 happens at -63
I can hear adjacent channel at -60ish.

The PA doesn't play the channel audio out the PA jack like other radios. It is just a PA but you can adjust the output with the volume knob. There is some "thinking" going on inside here. When you 1st turn it on it boots up with 88 on the display then goes to the channel. There is a delay when you key it which i guess it must be checking the SWR?. If there is high SWR it unkeys.. I think it considers "high" around 2.25 because thats what my work bench antenna is on the bottom of the band.

Worth 8 bux I think (y). And if someone wanted a dead simple CB and didn't care about modding it this would work fine even at 79 or 99 bux. That is what the C25 goes for and this feels slightly less cost reduced then the current year Cobra's.

EDIT: It seems to match the schematic posted on Page 1 of this thread. (y) If you zoom in you can see the channel up/down connections on the board. They replaced the buttons with a rotary encoder.And it is a thinking machine. EM78P447N is a little 8bit micro controller driving the PLL and display. Hopefully the channel expansion code is still in there. I am going to wire that to the Ch9 switch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review cralt. Keep us updated on the channel expansion!

This radio would work great with an Elkin four tube that does not need much drive. Can the dead key be raised to 4 watts?

Pretty sure my order got canceled because it disappeared from my order list today. It was on my order list last night. No email or refund yet.

Pretty sure my order got canceled because it disappeared from my order list today. It was on my order list last night. No email or refund yet.

I can still see mine when I search in their order status window. Still "Processing". I'm expecting it to be canceled though :)

I have had an account with Northern Tool since 2015, and I can still see orders that I placed in 2015. And no Northern Tool does not spam me with emails like some other retailers do.

They canceled mine without any sort of notification. Called them up and they acted like I must have canceled it. Radio isn't showing as available on the website anymore. No mention of the price goof :) Oh well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.