1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Mobile antenna choice

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by 530, Aug 18, 2019.

?

Out of the two which one would you choose?

1. 5ft Skipshooter

44.4%
  2. Predator 10K Single Coil 17in Shaft

55.6%
  1. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Thanks Marconi , I always wondered , I did it because I had the whip & it looked cool w/ that Red whip on top !:LOL: Did it make a difference ? Back then I wasn't involved in the antenna research like you & others on here have done . Like you said probably didn't make any difference . Mine was a 2 piece . Only good thing I must say is they & A-99 & I-max do stand up to New England Wx . 73 & God Bless ,Leo

Capt Crunch and 530 like this.

2. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

Move the stinger of each antenna out 1/2 inch, and whichever antenna has the worst match at that point will be the more efficient antenna once you drop the stinger back to where it was, assuming both were resonant to begin with.
    My money will be on the Skipshooter.

3. Highway Man

Highway Man Well-Known Member

I've seen antennas advertise how many channels it will be resonant on with a particular tune even though it's advertised 26-30Mhz

Capt Crunch and 530 like this.
  4. Highway Man

I ordered one, should be in tomorrow. It looks to me like it will light up from the picture on Stryker website.
    I got a seemingly good deal on it. $91 to the door on fleabay.
    I bought it blindly on your recommendation.

530 and 357magnum like this.
  5. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Highway , IMO , You won't regret your purchase ( I hope for my sake :LOL: ) I've had mine over 2 years & it's performed flawless ! Think I paid $99 off Fleabay so Good Deal ! One I got mine a Friend saw mine on My Explorer , He liked it & bought one . He has one of those Colossal Ba$e antenna's , So $ was no object to him .:D He loves his also . Good Luck & maybe " Yours will light up Blue on transmit .:whistle:;)

530 likes this.
  6. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

That's because the matching coil will provide a match over that frequency depending on the length of the whip but the bandwidth it'll cover won't be sufficient to cover the whole lot and to be honest I'd avoid any antenna that claimed it could cover that much in one go as it'll be quite lossy.

530, rabbiporkchop and Highway Man like this.
  7. Highway Man

if that thing lights up I may run over it. Seriously.
    I don't want any antenna that lights up.
    None of the product information says that

530 and 357magnum like this.
  8. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

As said before , mine does not . However , I've seen some newer models light up Blue when keyed though the clear plastic panels on the base of the coil .:eek:

530 likes this.
  9. 530

530 Well-Known Member

I kind of like the quietness in the receive as long as it's quiet because it should be not because of the antenna type and being covered with whatever plastic the Skipshooter wire is covered with. With that being said on my tests the transmit was the same for both but the test station was local and as far as skip shooting with these antennas really not easy to test but both do get out there. My thing is from what I read that the top loaded coil should actually be better than Center load and my kind of confusion is, is the Predator a better antenna to use because of all the metal or is the skip shoulder better to use because being top-loaded but also keeping in mind that is covered in plastic. Again I like the quietness of the skip shooter witch isn't really that much but noticeable but is it because of it being less efficient because of being wrapped in plastic.

357magnum likes this.
  10. 530

530 Well-Known Member

The skipshooter changed more than the Predator.

WECSOG, rabbiporkchop and 357magnum like this.
  11. 530

530 Well-Known Member

I have a 102 inch with a 12 inch riser when I tested it locally my Predator with the 27 inch shaft actually beat the 102 by a hair on the needle in transmit. Receive of that local station was the same on the meter but on the whip the receive sounded a little quieter.

Shadetree Mechanic and 357magnum like this.
  12. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Active Member

I liked the Predator 10K myself, I had the single coil, 27" shaft, and mounted it on the back side of a toolbox in the back of the truck I had, and the coil was 8" above the top of the cab, worked alot of DX on that antenna, those Predator antennas, are hard to beat..

530 likes this.
  13. 530

530 Well-Known Member

With my Predator with the 27 inch shaft on my anytone at-6666 highest and lowest Channel goes to 2.3 from 1.0. on 1, 40, and 20.

357magnum likes this.
  14. 530

530 Well-Known Member

If you're talkin about that Stryker antenna I do believe the newer ones light up blue and people are already warning about checking state and local laws on getting stopped and ticketed because you have a blue flashing light on the top of your vehicle.

#59 530, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  15. 530

530 Well-Known Member

My main antenna has been with Predator 27 inch shaft although I do use some of the other shafts when I needed a little bit shorter length and i have also read the 17in is the one to use because of the shaft length and above coil shaft length so i use that driving around. My next best antenna would be the skip Shooter 7 foot and I use different lengths to that as well. I have tried all the other over many years and besides the stainless steel whip to me these other two antennas are the best, bar none. Granted others will work but facts are basically, shorter is less, covered is less, lower coil is less, from what i have learned and tested over many years.

#60 530, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019