• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Little Shack in Progress

Sadly and a disappointment, no, I don’t mess with tube stuff. Just not experienced enough to do so but I wish I was.

Building or not, you have a nice setup and it looks like it’s growing nicely. I think every one of us here would be happy if we all had an entire house full of radio equipment and an acre of towers wouldn’t be enough. But we don’t have room or funds for such, or I don’t.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I got some 10ft jumpers from jefatech.com

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jefa-tech-coax-cable-assemblies

I was going to use 240 flex but the 400 flex was a few dollars more so I said what the heck. I figure it would go good with the regular 400 going to the antenna. So I got two for each amp, and then two with a so-239 on one end. One of them to wind a choke at the antenna and the other as a leader into the shack. Now my SWR stays lower and doesn't jump as much on modulation. Now it is 1.2 on dead key and 1.4 modulating.

View attachment 24078
I went from the LMR 400 times microwave jumpers to the LMR 240. The reason for the change was the 240 is already very flexible inherently, and are good for jumpers as opposed to the non ultraflex lmr 400. I was using the lmr400 non ultraflex jumpers and they were just too rigid. I actually would have had to add a couple of those L-shaped so-239 connectors in order for the jumpers not to bend (where the connector meets the cable) while my portable desk was pushed against the wall (while covered, and not being used.) I eventually found out through trial and error that the 240 LMR at least for me wasn't as good of a jumper as the lmr400. So I did what you did, and purchased the 400 LMR ultraflex. I haven't received them yet, but I'm sure that will solve the problem of having to add the L-shaped so-239 fittings to the back of the amp and the radio, so that the coax jumpers don't bend at the and eventually break at the connector. Since I'm using the lmr400 from the antenna to the transceiver I thought using the same 400 jumpers would make sense. And through a little test I did I found out at least for me that the 400 jumpers are better. My SWR actually went down a bit when switching from the 240 lmr to the 400 jumpers. Granted the 400 jumpers I have are not the ultraflex and as I mentioned to rigid for jumpers. If one is using them, and the desk that contains your equipment is not up against the wall they'll probably work fine. Otherwise the lmr400 ultraflex is the way to go when purchasing jumpers. 73. PS since the beginning I purchased all my LMR * 400 microwave cables from saigemaden. A US based company run and owned by women. They're knowledgeable, and did the right thing on several occasions. I've purchased all my jumpers, and the cables from them. They show their appreciation by giving me a very good discount on my last purchase. I would recommend checking out there eBay store When shopping for any type of cable come and or connectors. They have it all. And it's all made in the US. It's made with the highest quality, and gets a 4.5, or five on eham reviews. It really is a terrific high quality, made in the US Cable. There's lots of knock-offs out there, and one needs to be very careful. 73

Last edited:
Everything looks great. It's certainly coming along very nicely. Finally got the sonar, and 2 other smaller items packed, and sent out. I sent it out (yesterday,) 2 day ground. He should get them on Monday or Tuesday. I'd like to get the sonar back before Thanksgiving. I will wait to get it back before sending him the Madison, and a few more smalls. It's a bitch getting the washing packed so I was hoping that we'd be able to get together on a day before Thanksgiving (or shortly after) to get the telescopic mast, and new IMAX 2000 up in the air. I found a few other goodies. I will give you a choice of a Turner +3 or exspander 500. They're both wiered for the Washington, and will work on your Madison also. I don't think I need to suggest that you take the plus 3 over the expander 500. Some people actually like the expander 500. Maybe about 2 (people. Lol) There's a few other smalls I'm going to give you also. I will never use them, and having to pack then ship them after selling them is just to much of a hassle. Believe me 808 the mast and antenna install will take no longer than as a 11/2 hours. I bought the lmr 400 ultra flex jumpers. I'm not happy mixing the 400 that goes from the shack to antenna with the lmr 240 jumpers I'm currently using. I don't think it makes a difference, but in my mind. And for me a clear head is priceless.. I wanna make sure when you leave here everything is the best I could've put together. I don't think you have my phone number but will pm it to you shortly. I really appreciate your help 808. I'm looking forward to finally having the 2000 as high up in the air as it could possibly be for my situation. I hope to hear from the tech by Friday (11/4.) Since the mast and antenna isn't going on the roof, and is staying in the backyard on the ground where it currently is should make it possible to get it up there ever if it's a bit on the cold side. If needed I think my next door neighbor owns a propane heater/blower. The type used in auto garages during the winter time. I don't think will even need that. I'm sure the temps won't be any lower than 50 degrees, but if the heaters needed it is available to me. When I mentioned above that it would take about an hour and a half I actually overrated the time that it hould take. When I initially put the IMAX up on two five foot masts it.took about 45 minutes. I hope that you'll be able to get this together for me. Otherwise I will have to stay off the air until spring time. I am still using the current set up, but I am not happy with it at all. I truly think the antenna is damaged. Even though I've only been using it the setup about once a month every time I turn it on and initially key the microphone I'm tense, and the worried that something's going to go wrong. Finally getting the imax 200 approximately 30 ft off the ground as opposed to its current eight feet is an exciting prospect. Please don't think that I am holding those items I promised you hostage. Hostage until you come over and put the antenna up. Believe me 808 that is not the case. It's just that I haven't even boxed up the Madison along with two or three Smalls that are going in the same box not to mention the Phantom which also needs to be boxed up. On top of that it will be nice to finally meet. If the job goes quickly a late lunch is on me. There's a great Italian restaurant that me and the XYL eat at at least twice a month, and I believe it's on the same route that brings you home. I'm all in 808. I really hope that you could get this done for me. Have a great Halloween my friend, and we will talk soon my friend, and figure out if this is doable. I'm totally confident. 73. PS. I didn't fire up the Madison for approximately a month and a half. About five or six days ago I got the urge to get on the air, and the two days that I spent an hour or so on each of those days skip was rolling in. I enjoyed myself immensely, and thought about how terrific it's going to finally be to have an antenna close to its proper wavelength. Since getting back on the air three years ago after my 25-plus year sabbatical my antenna hasn't been no more than 10 ft off the ground. I am really stoked about having an antenna 30 ft in the air. That might not sound like height to you, and most other operators, but for me 30 ft is like having it 100 feet up in the air for most other operators. Thanks again 808. I appreciate you offering to get this done for me.

Hey Sonar,
My work schedule has changed and now I have every weekend off so finding a good weekend will be a lot easier. I will give you a call this weekend so we can make arrangements. I replied to your PM too.
Chris

I got that same little power thingie on my old school Apple IIe that i've refurb'd here in the shop. You should just do what I did, I got tired of having my stuff in the house too and being confined to a "spot". I bought a 14x20 building with lofts, house door and full size windows. It's now my shop and part time man cave. Only thing I'd do different if I had to do it all over, I'd get a bigger building for sure and I'd put it much farther from the house. For reasons and stuff, you know... so I don't disturb the people in the house and stuff like that... yeah...
Oh man, I would love to have a 14x20 for a shop. I have a single car garage made out of cinderblock and the moisture is a real problem. The garage stays colder than the air and with the humidity of a warm day, everything gets condensation on it. I open up the drawers of my tool boxes and just spray everything with WD-40 it is that bad. I have fans running 24/7 to keep the air moving so the mold doesn't grow. I have a station set up there with a Starduster and a Stryker 440 so I can keep in touch when I am working in the yard. And now that the idea is in my head, I know exactly where I would put a 14x20. Hmmm...

Reactions: Sonar
Oh man, I would love to have a 14x20 for a shop. I have a single car garage made out of cinderblock and the moisture is a real problem. The garage stays colder than the air and with the humidity of a warm day, everything gets condensation on it. I open up the drawers of my tool boxes and just spray everything with WD-40 it is that bad. I have fans running 24/7 to keep the air moving so the mold doesn't grow. I have a station set up there with a Starduster and a Stryker 440 so I can keep in touch when I am working in the yard. And now that the idea is in my head, I know exactly where I would put a 14x20. Hmmm...
The pictures that you added of your inside station looks like it's coming along very nicely. If I were you I would suggest that you download the free operating manual for the Autek QF-1A. It's a bit confusing to me, but being that your technical understanding of radio equipment is way above mine I would imagine you getting the Autek doing exactly what it's supposed to, and doing it well at that. It will definitely help you on SSB. and even though it would make a nice addition to any transceiver it will certainly do an excellent job with your Madison. Before hooking it up to my Madison I read the eham reviews on the Q f - A1, and for an analog noise filter it got a 5-star rating. It's actually painted the same color as the wm1, and we'll look nice sitting next to that meter. Ttys. 73

Go big or go home. I have an 18x24 shop with a second level upstairs for storage and it is still not big enough. I don't use it as an electronics shop but as a general hobby shop for woodworking or general tinkering and it is still not big enough.

I agree with Kilowatt, if I could go back and do it again, I'd go bigger. I got this as a fish room though cause my aquarium thing and it just ended up being a radio shop. I'd definitely go bigger, bigger is better, it's easier to say you have too much room than not have enough and try to make it bigger. Plus the payments or original cost won't be much different...

I had a hell of a time in here with moisture too with 18+ tanks running. A dehumidifier is a must and I just lost interest in trying to keep up with all those tanks, a lot of work. So I'm in a transitional period, between finishing moving tanks out and getting rid of some other stuff that just doesn't fit in.

I agree with Kilowatt, if I could go back and do it again, I'd go bigger. I got this as a fish room though cause my aquarium thing and it just ended up being a radio shop. I'd definitely go bigger, bigger is better, it's easier to say you have too much room than not have enough and try to make it bigger. Plus the payments or original cost won't be much different...

I had a hell of a time in here with moisture too with 18+ tanks running. A dehumidifier is a must and I just lost interest in trying to keep up with all those tanks, a lot of work. So I'm in a transitional period, between finishing moving tanks out and getting rid of some other stuff that just doesn't fit in.
just like a garage build it 3 ft wider n 5 ft longer than you want.you wont be sorry

Just digging up some old threads of mine so they will be in one place. Here is the Hammerlund HQ-180 that belonged to my grandfather. He went silent key back in the early 70s and I have fond memories of when we would visit them. The Hammerlund had been sitting in my parents basement for decades so it was time to give it a proper home.

Here is the thread of the power up:
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/my-grandfathers-hammarlund-hq-180-power-up.222618/#post-608698

WIN_20171115_183220.JPG

I bought the Robyn 240D a while back and realized that there was no place to put it. I ended up setting it on the filing cabinet in the corner because I don't like stacking radios and I am sure that my grandfather would be disappointed about the Madison sitting on his Hammerlund. Now finally the Robyn will get the home it deserves in the station. Stop by and check it out.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/my-little-shack-new-shelf.238004/

IMG_20180906_135142810.jpg

The neat thing about this desk is that a desk top and keyboard surface pull out. Here is my grandfather's Hammerlund next to my new Sonar CB with a D104. Special thanks to our member Sonar for giving me a great deal!

View attachment 22626
I bought the Robyn 240D a while back and realized that there was no place to put it. I ended up setting it on the filing cabinet in the corner because I don't like stacking radios and I am sure that my grandfather would be disappointed about the Madison sitting on his Hammerlund. Now finally the Robyn will get the home it deserves in the station. Stop by and check it out.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/my-little-shack-new-shelf.238004/

View attachment 27442

Hey we all got to stack sometimes lol I don't even have towels between my mobiles ;( but I just saw this from the beginning Shadetree its a pretty sweet setup ! I bet you have more square footage there than on my 5x4 2' deep "L" shaped bench ! I only saw the last post with the Robyn but I like the whole cabinet !

73's Brian
016.JPG
019.JPG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated