1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Identifying Plugs On An ANTENNA ROTOR

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by Ez2cDave, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

I need help identifying the plugs on an antenna rotor.

The unit is a WILSON WR-500 and I need to make a cable for the Control Box to the Rotor.

I have pics of the plugs & socket . . . I do not have the plugs shown in the last pic.

The plug on the rotor has a threaded collar to lock the cable in place after the plug is inserted.

Who were / are these plugs made by and are there any current items that will work ?

Thanks, in advance !

Attached Files:

2. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

The control unit uses a standard octal tube socket so you are looking for an octal plug to mate with it. Lots of old gear had those as accessory plugs and jacks. The first one looks like a modern Yaesu connector but not 100% sure on that.

3. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

Thanks for the tip on the "Octal" plug . . .

I suspect the one on the rotor will be a "bear" to locate, if it's not the Yaesu plug.

This rotor is from the mid-1970's, I think.

4. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

I found some specs for Octal plugs . . . Looks like the "Pattern 88" is the one, provided I can match the diameter.

Attached Files:

#4 Ez2cDave, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

try BuxComm

6. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

There are industrial control relays that use the octal base connection. Might be able to get a relay and cut the relay part off leaving the part with the pins.

Tallman likes this.
  7. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The plug that fits the control box was originally known as "86CP-8" when they were made by Amphenol. Same one that a Browning CB transmitter has on it, and plugs into the rear of a Browning receiver. The metal shell has a separate part number, just can't remember it right now.

There used to be a guy on qrz.com who sold the one that looks like a mike plug with a gland condition. Never did learn the original manufacturer of that one, or what they called it.

Seems to me this rotator was made be "Emoto" in Japan. It's the brand that Yaesu bought and rebranded a few years later. Odds are that anyone who has it will refer to that plug as a "Yaesu" and not by the older names.

8. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Active Member

I think it is called a Jones Plug but I did not see a picture?

SIX-SHOOTER

9. nomadradio

Nope. A "Jones" plug refers to connectors designed and sold by the Cinch-Jones company back in the 1930s. They remained popular for decades, and are still being sold.

A Jones plug will have flat blades, in linear rows, not round pins.

Like this nasty, messed up specimen here.

[​IMG]

10. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was out of state for my Mother In Law's 80th birthday and just got in the door about an hour ago .

I will definitely use the info that has been provided to aid my search for the correct plugs !

11. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

Looks like the plug that mates to the rotor may be an 8 pin mike plug??? Hard to tell how big in diameter from the picture.

73's
    David

12. nomadradio

The rotator plug looks just like the 8-pin version of the familar CB mike plug.

One big difference. Size.

Pretty sure the end of that plug is 20 mm in diameter. A lot fatter than the mike plugs, but laid out in the same way.

Dmans likes this.
  13. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

The rotor plug is definitely NOT a microphone plug . . . It is MUCH Larger.

I took some photo's with a ruler to give some scale to it

WILSON WR-500 ROTOR PLUG -01 - CROP.jpg

WILSON WR-500 ROTOR PLUG -03 - CROP.jpg WILSON WR-500 ROTOR PLUG -06 - CROP.jpg WILSON WR-500 ROTOR PLUG -08 - CROP.jpg

Dmans likes this.
  14. Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave Member

I did manage to locate a PDF of the WILSON WR-500 Manual . . . Attached.

Attached Files:

15. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

Ez2cDave,
    That does put it in perspective.
    Is it a possible smoother journey to replace that "socket" with something more readily available? Surely the rotor will have to be disassembled but considering the manufacturing date of this unit, might be at least due some fresh grease!

Good luck!

73's
    David