• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable power and radio kit - home build?

Littlears

Aug 16, 2020
Has anyone built a home brew radio/ battery / solar charge / dc power supply case?

I’m thinking of building a radio in ammo can type setup but could use some help with products / design “gotchas” to get started

any lessons learned you all have would be good to hear!

Reactions: 357magnum

Welcome to the Forum Little ! (y) I used & old Plano Box Rack that held 4 box's ( trays ) , w/ box's removed , I installed my Old Cobra 140GTL , 250 King Bee Amp , Meter , Hand held Scanner ( slid on the side ) Old RS Spkr mounted on top , plus room to keep a Stock Mic in case I need it . I like it , it has a handle , easy to carry in/out w/ Anderson Connectors . But just recently had to reinforce it to make up for the cutting I did on it . Just a thought , worked for me . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Welcome to the Forum Little ! (y) I used & old Plano Box Rack that held 4 box's ( trays ) , w/ box's removed , I installed my Old Cobra 140GTL , 250 King Bee Amp , Meter , Hand held Scanner ( slid on the side ) Old RS Spkr mounted on top , plus room to keep a Stock Mic in case I need it . I like it , it has a handle , easy to carry in/out w/ Anderson Connectors . But just recently had to reinforce it to make up for the cutting I did on it . Just a thought , worked for me . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

thanks! Would you mind sharing some pictures?

Reactions: 357magnum
Simple MC4 panel mounts (for solar panel). 20ah battery inside, 10amp solar controller, and I used a 3 pin aviation plug setup to prevent polarity error. Here it's shown with simple 110v 190w inverter you run a small fan when power went out. Again never used a panel with it yet but a 50w-75w would be overkill to charge the 20ah battery.

I was wrong earlier. Just a plain poly 50 cal can (not FAT50)

DE1A0519-157A-4363-9BCB-A789C4376A7A.jpeg

I run all portable for HF. Normally with LiPo batteries, some 3 cell, some 4 cell. in mainly a KX2 radio and a 50 watt amp. Due to trying to eliminate weight I don't use a box deal, but pouches.
For radio only I use a 4 cell LiPo 2600 mah battery with a voltage reducer in a small utility pouch, this combo giver me about 4 activations of use. About 1 - 2 hours each activation, for 3 years of use with no problems so far.
For the amp / radio, same voltage reducer and a 5500 mah 4 cell LiPo in a larger case. Running about 50 watts gives me about the same duration. This is of course year round. Below -20C the battery goes into a pocket when using.

Simple MC4 panel mounts (for solar panel). 20ah battery inside, 10amp solar controller, and I used a 3 pin aviation plug setup to prevent polarity error. Here it's shown with simple 110v 190w inverter you run a small fan when power went out. Again never used a panel with it yet but a 50w-75w would be overkill to charge the 20ah battery.

I was wrong earlier. Just a plain poly 50 cal can (not FAT50)

View attachment 40137

what solar controller & panel setup are you using?

have you had any success with portable antennas for cb / gmrs / ham etc? (Not car mounted , but truly “portable” )

If you could post some pictures of your new setup, that would be great. I am going to put a can together to take on beach trips. I have a Midland GMRS mobile and an Anytone Smart that I plan to stick in it. Might make a good command center for the golf cart too. Haha!

im kinda thinking of doing the same. What antenna would you use for such a portable system?

If you could post some pictures of your new setup, that would be great. I am going to put a can together to take on beach trips. I have a Midland GMRS mobile and an Anytone Smart that I plan to stick in it. Might make a good command center for the golf cart too. Haha!

I'll try to get a couple photos this evening... here is one I have available...

IMG_20200728_201230278.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated