• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Post Pics of tube amps here

MY SCP old tube amp

Gee I would love to find any info on this amp? it works great, but the pre amp makes the recieve have a hum? makes people sound electronic, but it works

06222009_0011.jpg

062220091.jpg

As you can see it is well protected (y)

Here are two of the smallest from my collection. 1st is my Heathkit SB220 the work horse in my shack. 2nd is my B bias (12) 2sc2879 Xforce Mud Duck Stomper.... Notice it is heavily filtered. Both are hell in DX land when dumped into my BEAM.

685 in MD just got down!!!

Attachments

• Linear Amplifiers 003.jpg
    Linear Amplifiers 003.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 407
  • Linear Amplifiers 001.jpg
    Linear Amplifiers 001.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 453
Palomar 321

That is Palomar 321 that someone put a SCP sticker on. Electrically they are a Skipper 300, one (1) driving three (3) and most likely running 6LF6 or 8950 tubes.

Gee I would love to find any info on this amp? it works great, but the pre amp makes the recieve have a hum? makes people sound electronic, but it works

06222009_0011.jpg

062220091.jpg

As you can see it is well protected (y)

Yes, there can be high circulating current between the anode connection and the Pi-net especially on higher bands like 11 meters. A high current connection should be used to maximize boid whats.

The thing that isn't cool (as I said before) is the apparent lack of a safety choke. This could lead to some mudduck getting killed.

Yes, there can be high circulating current between the anode connection and the Pi-net especially on higher bands like 11 meters. A high current connection should be used to maximize boid whats.

The thing that isn't cool (as I said before) is the apparent lack of a safety choke. This could lead to some mudduck getting killed.
COPY ON DEATH BY HIGH VOLTAGE

My Big Box.
drifter-albums-radio-stuff-picture1156-wizard-built-3cx3000-rf-deck.jpg

drifter-albums-radio-stuff-picture1157-wizard-built-3cx3000-shack.jpg

No DC blocking choke. One inch nickel plated standoff used on tank coil. No low inductance strap to tube anode. No attempt to shield filament primary or secondary from tank circuit. No Teflon coax connector. No vacuum relay. No plate or grid current meters. Poor air circulation through holes in RF deck. No glitch resistor in B+ line. No shielding on plate voltage meter. Wrong 3-500Z style parasitic suppressor. All that and I haven't even seen the bottom or the power supply. It doesn't take a wizard to figure out that there are only about 13 parts on the top of this RF deck and about as many mistakes.

Last edited:
This is an example of a bowl box built over 15 years ago with quality in mind. It makes use of a protection board based on opto couplers to provide adjustable plate and grid current overload protection. The filament supply is voltage regulated and current limited. Timer circuits are used to prevent B+ application before the tube is warm. Safety interlocks are all over the cabinet. An outboard 25 KVA pole pig and a 650 CFM dual blower are installed!

shockwave-albums-amp-pics-picture1271-3cx6000a7.html

shockwave-albums-amp-pics-picture1272-complete-6000.html

No DC blocking choke. One inch nickel plated standoff used on tank coil. No low inductance strap to tube anode. No attempt to shield filament primary or secondary from tank circuit. No Teflon coax connector. No vacuum relay. No plate or grid current meters. Poor air circulation through holes in RF deck. No glitch resistor in B+ line. No shielding on plate voltage meter. Wrong 3-500Z style parasitic suppressor. All that and I haven't even seen the bottom or the power supply. It doesn't take a wizard to figure out that there are only about 13 parts on the top of this RF deck and about as many mistakes.
Hey I am packing it up as we speak. I am shipping it to you so you can fix the errors and make it 10-8. But seriously It's a bowl box and it is working as is, and my pockets are but so deep, but I have a Tokyo HP in mY sights for my HF station(y)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.