• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Prefer list

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was thinking of making a list that I could go to the market and Buy in a moment’s notice during or before an emergency virus outbreak etc. to feed a family of four for 4 to 6 weeks. Anybody have a list? And stuff that won’t go bad fast. Who wants to spend a ton of money on mre of eat out of a five gallon bucket of beans. I have a generator stove heater etc grill. Was thinking of buying cases of canned food corn, string beans., mixed veggie. Also Tuna, spam, corned beef hash, I have a freezer I could buy meat and freeze and keep a supply also. Some company’s Twitter is. Working from home now. Things may get worse before things get better.

Well.....went to Aldi's other day, their canned vegetables are about $0.40 ea. Got a bunch. Then to the HEB grocery, picked up more canned meats....chicken, tuna, and Treet (Spam but cheap). Already have 4 cases of MRE I got from National Guard after Harvey hit. Checked my freezer, check full....Lord only knows what's in there, because I forgot.....mostly meat. Plenty of propane, two generators, and welding machine. Need to get more gasoline, have diesel. Need to find some cooking wood for grill/ smoker. Basics.

I've learned these basics from dealing with Hurricane season and gone through many aftermath of destruction living on Gulf Coast.

Remember live catch traps. Can catch and have ready edibles. Squirrels, coon, snakes, rats, and cats. Yes.....rats and cats. Cats are 41% protien, and have many strays around here trying to get my chickens.

Water storage and access is paramount.

Remember skills are better than gold and silver. Weapons and ammo, SHTF and bartering some 22's will be better than cash.

I posted some links to pages awhile back here. Check those out.

I like dry beans and rice. Dehydrated potatoes are good too. I love Treet, and the wife found White Albacore Tuna nice and cheap. A nice canned ham can get you several good meals and you can add the ham to the beans for flavor. Dehydrated biscuit mix, just add water type is nice to have.
Pasta of all types add variety for your carbohydrates. Bread mixes for baking loaves of bread can be bartered.

All of the above are great suggestions ! (y) I'm lucky enough to have access to over 5k ac behind me for hunting / fishing , 2 wells , one I dug for the farm critters but I can use a bucket to get it out or a pitcher pump if needed , the other needs AC . I have a 12' x 12 storage room behind my radio shack w/ metal shelves already loaded w/ non perishables ( even powdered milk :eek: ) I reload many different calibers of ammo , example over 1000 rds of 38 spl & 3000 of 22 cal stored in a locker . Raise my own chickens , horse & buggy if needed for travel & my neighbor has about 185 rabbits . :LOL: This Swamp Yankee been planning for a while . :D 73 & God Bless , Leo

a couple pallets of this too
104559070-GettyImages-802688740-constellation-brands.jpg

All of the above are great suggestions ! (y) I'm lucky enough to have access to over 5k ac behind me for hunting / fishing , 2 wells , one I dug for the farm critters but I can use a bucket to get it out or a pitcher pump if needed , the other needs AC . I have a 12' x 12 storage room behind my radio shack w/ metal shelves already loaded w/ non perishables ( even powdered milk :eek: ) I reload many different calibers of ammo , example over 1000 rds of 38 spl & 3000 of 22 cal stored in a locker . Raise my own chickens , horse & buggy if needed for travel & my neighbor has about 185 rabbits . :LOL: This Swamp Yankee been planning for a while . :D 73 & God Bless , Leo
When I bought my .40 cal pistol I was looking for a small carbine in .40 cal and I was going to stock up on the .40 cal reloading supplies. High Point made both of these but the carbine was to expensive.

Also I'm loaded w/ Black Powder supply's , loose powder & pellets . I love my T/C Black Diamond , don't shoot it as often as I should but I call it my BP 30.06 . :LOL: I have no idea why I have 3 muzzle loaders ? I just hate to sell stuff . Also in a pinch my Barnett Spit Fire .177 cal is good for small game . Least not forget my " Silent Killer " my cross bow . I never want it to " Hit The Fan " but I'm ready . Also getting ready to install a Generac whole house system , won't do me much good if I can't get LP Gas tho .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.