• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln 2 plus

How about a ranger 198 turner 56 or astatic 636?
All good noise cancellers if you need that. Stock mic still better but not noise cancelling. Used the stock mic out on the road for about 3 years, I'm sure there was some background noise but never received any complaints. Tried a 636 (very good mic) for a while but sounded a little muddy compared to the stock. IMO. YMMV

All good noise cancellers if you need that. Stock mic still better but not noise cancelling. Used the stock mic out on the road for about 3 years, I'm sure there was some background noise but never received any complaints. Tried a 636 (very good mic) for a while but sounded a little muddy compared to the stock. IMO. YMMV

Ok thanks surprised about the 636. The stock mic is loud , seems bassy to my ear

Reactions: Slowmover
1 thing I notice that I don’t like about the stock mic is that it’s picks up the pffffts and pops and crap

You have to talk across it.

Out of the box, and if you mod it yourself for 11 meter, don't use a 636. The 636 has a dynamic element, and the stock mic is electret. Modulation will be very weak. I did have a local tech try to match the 636 and Lincoln. Modulation did come up, but it was still no where near the stock microphone.

If President would have put an option in the menu like they do in their other radios to switch between electret and dynamic, mic choices would be a lot easier. McKinley and Ronald have the mic element switching option.

Snippits is dead on. I don't pay much attention to them, are there any noise cancellers available out there using an electret cartridge? Palomar SL41's are hard to get your hands on.

BTW, use caution connecting aftermarket mics to President stuff, Pin 6 has +13vDC on it for channel changing. You could let the smoke out of mic and/or radio.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Sky Thumper?

For giggles I Googled the Sky Thumper. Couldn't find any real specs on it but it can't be an electret element if it's plug and play 4-pin Cobra. Electret element needs a supply voltage from somewhere to power the FET that amplifies the condenser element. Just looks like a reverse engineered RK56.

For giggles I Googled the Sky Thumper. Couldn't find any real specs on it but it can't be an electret element if it's plug and play 4-pin Cobra. Electret element needs a supply voltage from somewhere to power the FET that amplifies the condenser element. Just looks like a reverse engineered RK56.

So unfortunately the stock mic is best ?

Actually it’s not bad. You can add a small hole in front of the element. Brings it out a little more. I found like others said to speak across it. I am using at the moment a modded cobra pwr mic. It too has an electret element. I like it better but the President mic had the channel up/down.

Don't know Ziploc, all I can tell you is what works/sounds best for me and my setup. I just know that the stock mike sounds pretty damn good on my radio and I don't think there is any magic CB mic out there that will sound lots better. I definitely believe that electret elements matchup the best with these radios, which is why I rebuilt a D104 to better matchup with my radio.

The only noise cancelling electret mic that I am aware of (there could be more) was the Palomar SL41, but they were only manufactured for a short time and are difficult to find. Most folks who have them don't want to let go of them cause they're very good. But you might be able to find one. Maybe start a new thread here and get some opinions or post a WTB thread in the swap forums.

You will probably need to trial and error your way to finding what works best for you and your setup. Lots of folks out there take old stock mics and rebuild them with different components, experiment. That's a large part of the enjoyment in this hobby for some folks. Good luck and enjoy your radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.