• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about amp??

put a switch to turn the amp off on the 98 and amp choices are numerous. but the 98 isn't the best choice for running boxes.

But to get real gain going from 250/300 watts you need to make a huge jump in out put power.
A 4 pill ain't gonna do squat.
Really.
A 8 pill will get you some, but if you want to see a big difference on a s meter, and to get any of that warm fuzzy feel good you need 16.
And almost anything that big is a class C comp box so your screwed on SSB unless you know a builder that can put a GOOD bias setup in it.
I have seen lots of CB guys do this.
Buy a 350
Not happy.
Buy a 500
Not happy.
Buy a 8 pill
Meh
Wish they had something bigger.
If you got in the corner, mauling or bawling fever, should have bought the 16 in the first place and saved a lot of money/time.

Cutting the internal amp off to run a amp is just a waste IMHO.

Jeff

200-300w swing will be great ballpark for a 16p but what about carrier( 50-60w) with the 98? turn that down and loose top end or make the radio sound horrible. Are you saying pad the box?

I wouldn't use an export radio with an amplifier that's worth very much money. No hotrod hack job mods either. Exports and a r&r comp cobra 29 gave me issues with a 2x16. The stock cobra 29 with a variable deadkey made the same pep out the back end, more average than an export and none of the rfi issues or singing output transformers.

put a switch to turn the amp off on the 98

Yeah, when a customer asks for that mod we ask "You want the suicide switch?"

Naturally if that's what he wants, that's what he gets.

And the first time that switch is in the wrong position, we're less likely to get blamed for the damage. We did ask if you wanted the suicide switch.

This customer asked for a "high side" indicator on the front of the radio. Didn't use headphones, so that's where it went. Haven't seen him back here with blown-up equipment yet.

R5pY9d.jpg

Enough RF to draw corona arcs over a foot long but not enough power to stay more than 10 feet away from the energized antennas?

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated