• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reclaim LSB 16

Of course it's all about conditions. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of us trying 16, at least not at the same time and if we're not on at the same time, we'll.. do the math. It's not that difficult.
When we did this last, I had good conditions to the east and west at the same time. Many of us were able to make a lot of contacts in the first few hours because there were a lot of us on at the time and conditions were pretty good. Take either one of those out of the equation and you've got very little to work with.
Yes, we can just wait until conditions are good and then give it hell. And if I'm not busy with family, work, or a multitude of other things in my life, I'll be right in there with you fellas. So either way... :) :)

Reactions: Rwb
My prediction is that the attractiveness of using LSB 16 will pick up as increasing skip activity brings out-of-control pile-ups to LSB 38. Additionally, there's a small but active community of folks who still operate old 23 channel rigs. Those with old SSB capable radios have expressed an interest in what we're doing, and it ain't hard to figure out why.

That doesn't mean I'd write off other DX options. The World Radio group is active on LSB 39. I'm also aware of other SSB nets operating on channels 35-40 set up by local groups: "Southern Great Lakes Group" in NW Indiana on LSB 38; "Central Maine SSB" on LSB 37; "NH Sideband Club" on LSB 36; "Whiskey Net" out of Butler, PA on LSB 32. If you're aware of other groups, I'd say share that information. That information will just open up the universe of contact opportunities for all of us.

Last edited:
SLIGHT REVISION: ADD TOMORROW, 10/23

The skip was phenomenal today, 10/22. If this propagation holds, tomorrow, 10/23, should be another good day. We're still on for next week-end, but many of us are going to give LSB 16 a try tomorrow. I'm going to start hailing folks around 11:00A.M. eastern and I'll stick to the protocol of aiming for every hour on the hour. Of course, nothing stops folks from trying more often if they want to.

Let's hope Mother Nature stays in her generous mood.

Of course it's all about conditions. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of us trying 16, at least not at the same time and if we're not on at the same time, we'll.. do the math. It's not that difficult.
When we did this last, I had good conditions to the east and west at the same time. Many of us were able to make a lot of contacts in the first few hours because there were a lot of us on at the time and conditions were pretty good. Take either one of those out of the equation and you've got very little to work with.
Yes, we can just wait until conditions are good and then give it hell. And if I'm not busy with family, work, or a multitude of other things in my life, I'll be right in there with you fellas. So either way... :) :)
Hey we just made a contact on 16 LSB! 762 Florida here.

226 and I have been able to connect pretty consistently both yesterday and today. That's about 1290 miles as the crow flies.

I could hear Sun Bulls right at my noise floor when he and 226 were chatting, but I couldn't make out most of his transmission. We're about 250 miles away, so that's not too shabby. 762 is about 130 miles north of where I'm at. I could not pick him up at all.

Great to see some life on LSB 16. The absence of the infamous sandpile is making it possible to carry on QSOs once contact is made. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother DXer
1 pm central time- I made contact with @Shadetree Mechanic again on LSB 16. He was booming out of Delaware and I seem to be making the trip as well. Didn't hear anyone out of Florida this go round.
Great talking to you again Shadetree Mechanic!!

73's
Great talking to you too, Brother DXer! It seems like we are starting to get a little network going here. There is also talk about getting a fall contest together, our success on 16lsb makes a contest look really promising. I will be listening on and off throughout the day.

I had good luck carrying QSOs with 226 twice - at noon eastern and again at 1:00P.M. There was a Mexican dispatcher on AM 16 starting a little after 3:00P.M. , but that fortunately did not last too long before fading out. 099 in Isabela, Puerto Rico was dominating AM 16 for about 20 minutes around 4:00P.M.

I did hear someone calling DX at 4:00P.M. but they weren't strong enough for me to get their numbers. At 5:00P.M. eastern, I heard 828 fine but he couldn't hear me. At 6:00P.M. I heard someone from Maine hailing but I don't think he heard my efforts.

There was a fair amount of skip across 11 meters today. I heard stations from England, Wales and other overseas locations on LSB 38 and LSB 36. I also managed to make a few contacts on LSB 36, 37 and 38.

Two take-aways: (1) the skip is rolling and (2) LSB 16 is a nice alternative to LSB 38 when we get the numbers behind it.

Last edited:
Looks like you and your daughter had a great time today!! You definitely have it right.. Family first! :)
Did you ride the camel??? Hahaha...

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.