• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Sampler, recommendations...

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Hi all,
Got a question on the best, but most affordable RF sampler to use.

I've been using the below RF Sampler for quite some time now.

It's made in Russia, and below is a description of it:

"
DESCRIPTION:

An RF sampling port, based on a toroid transformer design, designed to provide a safe sampling voltage of applied RF, so you can 'see' your modulation live on an oscilloscope connected to the sampled BNC port.

RF energy is sensed by the toroid secondary and provides a 30db reduction of the original signal up to 50 MHz at the BNC sampling port. The sampler can also be used at VHF and UHF frequencies, with a reduced sampled output.

Correctly terminated at 50 Ohms, so you don't need to provide external termination.

Two SO-239 pass-thru sockets provide a SWR neutral (1:1) path for your RF, the sampled energy is available at the BNC.

Insertion loss measured at 14.200 MHz was determined at -0.12db (in other words, no insertion loss).
At 100% duty cycle the sampler can handle 1000 Watts of continuous power, with a peak output max. of 1500 Watts, not to exceed 5 minutes duration with 15 minute gaps at this power level."

The question I have is,
Is there a better Sampler out there that will produce a cleaner signal on my Agilent 4411B spectrum analyzer and Oscope?

Reason I ask, is because I always have artifacts present in the signals and waveforms. I normally just adjust the RF stage until the artifacts get as low as I can get them, and leave it alone.

I have my spectrum analyzer set for 0dbm attenuation and a reference level of -10dbm, sweep set at 200ms, VBM and RBW set to automatic. The spectrum analyzer has a 50ohm input C-connector, which I use a C-connector to BNC adapter hooked to it which I then connect 6ft of 50hm coax with bnc connectors to.

The spectrum always has shorter signals on:
NOTE:
Short means 53dbm lower than the fundamental.
Tall means 48dbm lower than the fundamental.
Shorter means 54dbm lower than the fundamental.

Example radio Fundamental is: 27.205mhz @ 1.54dbm.

Approximate, not dead on the money on the below numbers:

32.55mhz (short)
33.055mhz (tall)
36.955mhz (shorter)
38.905mhz (shorter)
22.330mhz (short)
21.355mhz (tall)
17.530mhz (shorter)
15.500mhz (shorter)

My digital scope has a 1m ohm bnc connector on it, which I hook my 6ft 50 ohm coax with bnc to.

The waveform has short copies of artifacts of the large waveform in between each rise and fall of the waveform.

Could the Sampler I'm using be causing these artifacts? I do tune as much as I can to remove all other spikes while maintaining the fundamental spike, but I'm always left with just these, on about every radio I do.

I've had a few radios I did that cleaned up with no spikes at all, just the fundamental, with a flat noise floor throughout the rest of the frequency span.

Could cheap Chinese filtering caps (DC input 1000uf 25v) and regulator cap (1000uf 25v) be presenting these artifacts? I normally swap out those caps, but not on every radio. Only if it's an older radio. What could I do to remove those spikes? Certain electrolytic cap replacements recommended?

Included is a pic of what I mean. This pic is at a span of 30mhz. Sorry for it being inverted, but my rear camera on my phone doesn't work, so I have to turn phone around to take photos.

Attachments

• 0705230002.jpg
    0705230002.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

I have a preference for rectifying the RF signal, and feeding the audio+DC envelope to the 'scope. Years ago, this allowed using a cheaper 'scope that didn't have enough vertical-channel bandwidth to display the RF signal directly.

The bonus is that the 'scope is now free to trigger on the audio waveform alone. A fast 'scope may try to trigger on the 27 MHz RF waveform, and not the modulated audio envelope.

This diagram is an adaptation of what's in the Heathkit Cantenna dummy load. Never did quite turn into a product.

tepsm.jpg

Hard part is finding the 100k 2 Watt carbon-comp resistor.

That RF Sampler is a PASSIVE device, it does not create harmonics or trash by a mixing scheme. What you are seeing is your actual transmitted signal. Wrap some wire around your coax and feed it to the scope, You'll see the same thing.
Collins Radio used that same -30db design years ago.

Whats the best way to clean that signal up some more on the analyzer?
How would you guys clean that up?

L43 is the only one in the RF chain that is topped out flush with the top of the can. Would placing a 10pf, 20pf, 33pf cap on the outer 2 pins on the bottom of that L43 correct this, or come close?

I know mismatched mosfets will produce signals such as this, I've learned factories don't take the time to match mosfets.

Would a poor quality passthrough produce this type of signal? It has the 827 passthrough from the factory.

I've seen the typical swing mods (diode on r238, r264) cause this result, but there are no swing mods in this radio. The limiter(s) are still in place and no clips or snips no where. All parts are in their place and of the factory values.

Would replacing a few filter caps help clean up this signal?

I know increasing the reference level on the spectrum from -10dbm up to 10dbm would show less of those spikes, but to me that's just hiding those signals, they're still there, just being hidden.

What's you all's recommendations?
Kinda hate letting it go out the door like this. It was way worse before I tuned it out through the RF stage, but this is the cleanest it will get.

Hi all,
Got a question on the best, but most affordable RF sampler to use.

I've been using the below RF Sampler for quite some time now.

It's made in Russia, and below is a description of it:

"
DESCRIPTION:

An RF sampling port, based on a toroid transformer design, designed to provide a safe sampling voltage of applied RF, so you can 'see' your modulation live on an oscilloscope connected to the sampled BNC port.

RF energy is sensed by the toroid secondary and provides a 30db reduction of the original signal up to 50 MHz at the BNC sampling port. The sampler can also be used at VHF and UHF frequencies, with a reduced sampled output.

Correctly terminated at 50 Ohms, so you don't need to provide external termination.

Two SO-239 pass-thru sockets provide a SWR neutral (1:1) path for your RF, the sampled energy is available at the BNC.

Insertion loss measured at 14.200 MHz was determined at -0.12db (in other words, no insertion loss).
At 100% duty cycle the sampler can handle 1000 Watts of continuous power, with a peak output max. of 1500 Watts, not to exceed 5 minutes duration with 15 minute gaps at this power level."

The question I have is,
Is there a better Sampler out there that will produce a cleaner signal on my Agilent 4411B spectrum analyzer and Oscope?

Reason I ask, is because I always have artifacts present in the signals and waveforms. I normally just adjust the RF stage until the artifacts get as low as I can get them, and leave it alone.

I have my spectrum analyzer set for 0dbm attenuation and a reference level of -10dbm, sweep set at 200ms, VBM and RBW set to automatic. The spectrum analyzer has a 50ohm input C-connector, which I use a C-connector to BNC adapter hooked to it which I then connect 6ft of 50hm coax with bnc connectors to.

The spectrum always has shorter signals on:
NOTE:
Short means 53dbm lower than the fundamental.
Tall means 48dbm lower than the fundamental.
Shorter means 54dbm lower than the fundamental.

Example radio Fundamental is: 27.205mhz @ 1.54dbm.

Approximate, not dead on the money on the below numbers:

32.55mhz (short)
33.055mhz (tall)
36.955mhz (shorter)
38.905mhz (shorter)
22.330mhz (short)
21.355mhz (tall)
17.530mhz (shorter)
15.500mhz (shorter)

My digital scope has a 1m ohm bnc connector on it, which I hook my 6ft 50 ohm coax with bnc to.

The waveform has short copies of artifacts of the large waveform in between each rise and fall of the waveform.

Could the Sampler I'm using be causing these artifacts? I do tune as much as I can to remove all other spikes while maintaining the fundamental spike, but I'm always left with just these, on about every radio I do.

I've had a few radios I did that cleaned up with no spikes at all, just the fundamental, with a flat noise floor throughout the rest of the frequency span.

Could cheap Chinese filtering caps (DC input 1000uf 25v) and regulator cap (1000uf 25v) be presenting these artifacts? I normally swap out those caps, but not on every radio. Only if it's an older radio. What could I do to remove those spikes? Certain electrolytic cap replacements recommended?

Included is a pic of what I mean. This pic is at a span of 30mhz. Sorry for it being inverted, but my rear camera on my phone doesn't work, so I have to turn phone around to take photos.
there is no "best", only ones that work great or not. For high quality commercially built units i recommend Bird, Coaxial dynamics and clean rf. Rf samplers from clean rf also have other features if desired. i have used all of these and they are solid performers. i use bird

Reactions: Hawkeye351
@Smokinone I built 2 of the samplers you linked to in your 1st post in this thread by Don Jackson. They are solid performers and cheap to build.
I ran the SB220 through it that I rebuilt for a friend a couple years ago into my SA with no worries. It is indeed a -53dbm sample of the output as Don mentions in the text (I measured it to be certain!)
Seems I added pictures of this sampler to the forum but my memory is fading.

David

I use an inexpensive Celwave dummy load (I think I picked it up for around $30 on Ebay a few years ago) that is rated for 250w and has a -50dB sample port on it. Pretty simple design; the sample port is just a loop of wire inside the dummy load if memory serves me, but it's been a few years since I opened it up.

Reactions: Hawkeye351
Figured out it was the radio producing that nasty signal. Noticed the last mosfet in the chain had a flange that looked like it had heat gone through it, the other 2 mosfets looked new on the flange. Replaced both final mosfets, reset the bias for those new fets and the signal cleaned up a lot.

I then put a cobra 29 LTD Classic w/ RFX95HD on the spectrum analyzer and it has a beautiful signal. Noise floor stays flat when keyed and modulated. Only the fundamental signal showed on the spectrum, no spurries at all.

Guess the Sampler I'm using is pretty good.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, this was a great conversation thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.