• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rocket Box 1000XL

I say buy one. Buy it and try it. If you don’t like it I can promise you that you can sell it to someone else with little effort.

They’re affordable. They’re nicely built. You couldn’t ask for anyone better to deal with if you have an issue with one. You won’t have any issue if you don’t abuse it and use it as recommended.

You can’t knock something you’ve not tried, can you? I mean I guess you could if it was some certain thing that someone was making complete false claims about out in the middle of the sand but come on... RocketBox hasn’t made any such claim.

The man told me what power it would put out, done. He also told me the exact amps it would draw, done. A warranty was discussed, no need for one if it’s not abused in my opinion.

Audioshockwav: As you are just starting this project be aware that there is a lot of RF knowledge here on the forum. Shockwave and others here have extensive background in design

Me: Actually, we should mention that shockwave got a healthy amount of criticism about his own amplifier plans

Audioshockwav: One can easily build a Amp for the CB band and throw it out for sale with no testing and allow the end user to test it.

It is quite different to design and build a multi band amp with very good safety and protection features that will be submitted for FCC approval.

Me:is there someone who has done this and is equipped to respond?

Audioshockwav:I don't know

Nice quotes. What's the point?

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I just don’t understand why we’d offer help on the forum of one dude(by name) that’s been totally lambasted for his design (which has been called “impossible”) and hasn’t mentioned the sale of a single amp... or why that may be of help to someone who is already selling multiple amps.

One dude that’s been working on the same design for years without a single sale is somehow going to “help” a company that’s already decent making sales?

What the hell do I know?

Indeed.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Just because you removed a post before you thought anyone could see it don't mean that I did not see it.
I can go back and quote your posts if you like but I did not want to open that can of worms on you.
As Admins we can see everything that is posted on the forum, even if you go back and try to remove it.
You have spouted off and then removed several posts after you thought better of them.
The words were YOURS , I simply replied to your post before you hid it from view.
If you don't like my post, that is fine, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
But don't try to play dumb when you get called out on something.
I stand by what I posted.
Lets get back on topic now and give it a rest.

Jeff
Just to make it easier for some people to understand........Jeff is basically saying that you can run but you can't hide. :ROFLMAO::D Even when someone deletes their post admins can see and actually restore to view those posts. (y)

I say buy one. Buy it and try it. If you don’t like it I can promise you that you can sell it to someone else with little effort.

They’re affordable. They’re nicely built. You couldn’t ask for anyone better to deal with if you have an issue with one. You won’t have any issue if you don’t abuse it and use it as recommended.

You can’t knock something you’ve not tried, can you? I mean I guess you could if it was some certain thing that someone was making complete false claims about out in the middle of the sand but come on... RocketBox hasn’t made any such claim.

The man told me what power it would put out, done. He also told me the exact amps it would draw, done. A warranty was discussed, no need for one if it’s not abused in my opinion.

I have no problems with that.
And in no way was any of my posts dogging the gentleman.
I also understand the target market of the subject.
This is a mono band CB Amp.
Lets allow him to build and test this model of amp and report back with his results.
It is a open discussion about a new CB amp, so people may chime in with observations and or suggestions.
That's kind of how it works.

Jeff

I just don’t understand why we’d offer help on the forum of one dude(by name) that’s been totally lambasted for his design (which has been called “impossible”) and hasn’t mentioned the sale of a single amp... or why that may be of help to someone who is already selling multiple amps.

One dude that’s been working on the same design for years without a single sale is somehow going to “help” a company that’s already decent making sales?

What the hell do I know?
FYI, three have been out in the field with "test pilots" for some time now. If I was just trying to please the CB crowd, this would have been done a year ago. The truth is, one was able to be placed in a situation where it did oscillate and my test pilots are well versed in spotting this type of defect.

You may not understand what a time consuming process it is to go from "making watts" to "100% stability under all conditions". Transistor amplifiers can be very challenging to design with this goal in mind. The fix in my case was adding two resistors in key places. I can assure you, without any modification to the board, I can place that Rocket Box in a situation where it will oscillate. Mass producing a final PC board with these flaws present, would be a fatal mistake that I will avoid at all cost.

Last edited:
FYI, three have been out in the field with "test pilots" for some time now. If I was just trying to please the CB crowd, this would have been done a year ago. The truth is, one was able to be placed in a situation where it did oscillate and my test pilots are well versed in spotting this type of defect.

You may not understand what a time consuming process it is to go from "making watts" to "100% stability under all conditions". Transistor amplifiers can be very challenging to design with this goal in mind. The fix in my case was adding two resistors in key places. I can assure you, without any modification to the board, I can place that Rocket Box in a situation where it will oscillate. Mass producing a final PC board with these flaws present, would be a fatal mistake that I will avoid at all cost.

Actually, Shockwave, to any extent that I sounded anything less than appreciative of your efforts, I didn’t get my point across clearly, or properly. I can admit that you are very helpful to a lot of folks, myself among them.

And for that matter, I know I was wrong in dealing with Jeff, also, and that’s the reason I deleted the post.

I think what’s lost in much of the dealings with rocketbox, and where I should have focused my comments, is that he caters to a much different audience than the folks that have had some very negative comments about his product.

To a very large extent, it seems to me at least, that we want to compare his apples to oranges.

Most of the negative comments are centered around the poor quality output transistor being used. Nothing the builder can do will compensate for this so the criticism is not directed towards the build as much as it is the active component being used. The fact that you cannot find ANY equipment manufacturer that will use this part, other than the 11 meter market, speaks volumes....

If the ERF9530 was the slightest bit acceptable in terms of IMD or reliability, all mobile HF rig manufacturers would be running towards this part rather than steering completely clear of it.

Most of the negative comments are centered around the poor quality output transistor being used. Nothing the builder can do will compensate for this so the criticism is not directed towards the build as much as it is the active component being used. The fact that you cannot find ANY equipment manufacturer that will use this part, other than the 11 meter market, speaks volumes....

If the ERF9530 was the slightest bit acceptable in terms of IMD or reliability, all mobile HF rig manufacturers would be running towards this part rather than steering completely clear of it.

Useful insight. Thanks.

For sure I will as I like to collect these "cb" amplifiers.. wish I kept mt Palomar FET 450HD
as it worked great in my truck with my Quarter/Dime, just had to keep it cool.

Reactions: Tokin

I run a low pass filter in my station as I transmit only on 11m. This should take care of any IMD from the amp, correct?

Reactions: WINKDOGG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated