1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Roger beep

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Robalo, Jul 7, 2020.

1. jkp1

jkp1 Active Member

While I personally think Roger beeps are stupid, or maybe I mean those who use them, I could tolerate them a lot more if they weren't significantly louder than the voice of the guy using the roger beep. I've listened to beeps that still were obnoxiously loud even when the speakers voice was no longer audible.

S&W357, 357magnum, Slowmover and 2 others like this.

2. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

Because hams complain about everything. Lol

Slowmover and 144inBama like this.
  3. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

Yeah it's hard talking distance with those kind....Turn the volume up to hear "them" and the damn RB makes your eyes water and ears start bleeding.

NZ8N, S&W357 and Slowmover like this.
  4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

GMRS radios have a Roger beep.........

357magnum and Slowmover like this.
  5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Only at the assholes on the air.

NZ8N, Tokin, 357magnum and 4 others like this.
  6. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Waja Bip!!

Tokin likes this.
  7. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

Well some of us "assholes" like to have fun and aren't stuff shirts like most hams. I think a lot of hams need to get a big blunt, stuff with weed, get some wild Turkey, and a hooker and chill tf out!

8. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

The "assholes" I was referring too are the idiots that operate like idiots inside the ham bands. I don't give a flying F*%# what someone does outside the amateur bands just keep the childish noise toys, overmodulated radios, and class C amps off of them. If someone wants to act like an idiot then by all means fire up between 26 and 28 MHz and go for it. I spent far too many years in that part of the spectrum to feel otherwise. I grew up and moved on to greener pastures.

NZ8N and 357magnum like this.
  9. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Some people are so funny, they get absolutely livid from hearing a roger beep. Hahaha, it cracks me up, really. Ridiculous

r carl and Tokin like this.
  10. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Quieter...No Heterodyne .. No Noise toys .. No Music .. No Pings-Beeps etc. etc.(y)

Captain Kilowatt and 357magnum like this.
  11. Tokin

Tokin 42Zero Tampa

r carl, Slowmover and tecnicoloco like this.
  12. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I wonder if there is a way to use the roger beep as a key up beep also?

r carl and Tokin like this.
  13. NZ8N

NZ8N Well-Known Member

Yes, it has been a while (over 20 years?), but I set up a "beep" to fire on keydown and key release. You have to remove the diode that "shorts" the beep oscillator and replace it with a timer circuit that delays the beep mute on keydown like the diode did, then fires again when you release the key.

I also used to make Digital Voice Recorders that records off the air, then self keys the radio when you press the Play back button, firing what it had recorded back at them. I had one I set up to be an "end fire recorder", that would fire when you unkeyed, like to copy someone's so called custom roger beep.

We had a local "back yard technician" in another nearby town that was constantly badmouthing our shop, who had a Sadelta echo mike with double beep and an extended duration Galaxy or Ranger internal beep, so 3 beeps that sounded like Pee-der-Beeeeeeep. He made the claim that nobody could copy his roger beep, Challenge Accepted. I rolled through "his" town one night, caught his beep just right, then when I rolled through his town on my way home for the next month or so, keyed my end fire after everyone elses unkey. Or on my quick snide comments. It pissed him off to no end.

#43 NZ8N, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  14. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Just own a Cobra 19 DX early version, their cruddy PLL's slow response to the VCO's "Ramp up" causes a "chirp" to be heard in both Key-Up and Un-Key

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  15. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

I think a key up chirp or ping would help identify who is about to talk.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.