• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

Okay , I liked the above post despite it's unsubstantiated, incompletely documented information. (sry kaos...)

This has become a tiresome "find the next thing wrong with Snake Radios" thread.
Some or most of the examples are valid and obvious. Various instances are well documented. Other examples are more opinion along the lines of "can you top this" .

I really don't see the point in discussing this further. We are here to further the technology, modification, experimentation, operation within, and enjoyment of the radio frequency spectrum. Continuously bashing any specific tech or service does little to further any of these goals.

To show that “Snake” isn’t the only hack artist out there, I opened this radio this morning...

So, why smear liquid electrical tape over this? It’s not like most everybody doesn’t know what’s going on here.

But wait, there’s more... check out what appears to be anti-seize being used for thermal paste. I had to see if that’s what it was and it sure seems like that’s exactly what it is.

If you’re a vlogger on YouTube and you get so many subscribers and views, all that crap, you get that silver or gold play button. I wonder how big the golden screwdriver plaque is hanging on the dudes wall that did this mess?

AEBFA63C-C752-472B-800E-9BFEE1B6119B.jpeg 656D1F9F-8B02-4907-9EE7-9671B9D339CA.jpeg

Yeah, talk about fly-by-nights. It’s amazing what people pay for and don’t have any idea what is being done to their stuff (radio). I see stuff like this and it makes me mad, some a-hole just hacking and ripping someone off.

Reminds me of the guy doing all the hot glue in radios trying to hide his work, not Lester.

I guess ole boy figured he had invented the wheel or something and wanted to protect his “invention”.

Reactions: Rwb
I noticed that wax mess, they removed several turns off of that Output Tank coil which is not OEM.

it usually has a "dual wind" WYE-output coil.

Like this...
Dual-Wind-WYE.jpg

So yeah, considerable amount or rework - older Bipolar versus MOSFET like above, but they did the WYE coil design starting in the 2006-2007 board years - had a Galaxy 979 from that time using the WYE instead of the slug.

I recognized the era of the board by noting the "print style" on the 150pF (151) disc cap - that posts the age of the board to be later 2000's - like 2009 onto current - WOW.

Reactions: LeapFrog and Rwb
Yea, wow. You’re pretty smart. And/or very experienced, I’ll pick and.

It has a running condition. Won’t lock on frequency. Pin 8 I believe of the PLL should show 8v but it shows about 7.9-7.95 but fluctuates all over the place. Pin 7 should be 1-4v I believe and that seems good, now. I changed the PLL because I got 8v on pin 7 and .20 on pin 8. After the change I still get the running voltage and frequency.

So it’s being a PITA today, nothing like first thing in the morning PITA.

Did you check the slugs in the coil cores?

I've had radios that won't tune well and stay stable, only to find out that as I back out the slug, it was reversed and reinserted because the owner "cracked" the slugs' slot - and so they did this trick to try and cover their tracks.

That would be fine and could work, only if they'd saved more of the slug in the first place - at least they'd have more tuning range that a tiny little bit of threaded slug left to turn in that coil...

Well, you key the radio and you get no carrier. Hold the button keyed and it will slowly start to climb in carrier. It may stop at the correct setting, say 1w on low but it bounces around like you’re trying to modulate it when you’re not. When you do, sometimes the power is low and sometimes it’s like it breaks loose and goes wide open like it should.

Weird.

And it’s very scratchy. Static. I’ve checked and even replaced the mosfets, pulled almost every capacitor and checked them, all good. The modulation transistor on the chassis and associated parts, checked and/or replaced. Same thing. Looked all over for bad solder joints, I’ve even mostly redone almost every joint in the board.

It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

But, I will back those out cause that hadn’t crossed my mind because it’s a fairly new radio or appears to be. I’ve seen similar antics myself before so thanks for bringing that up. It could be anything though cause upon opening it, you can clearly see a jockey has been in here. A few extra high level engineer spec super modifications added for who knows what reason. All were removed by me and the radio put back to standard and a full alignment done. Problem persists.

Tha
But, I will back those out cause that hadn’t crossed my mind because it’s a fairly new radio or appears to be. I’ve seen similar antics myself before so thanks for bringing that up. It could be anything though cause upon opening it, you can clearly see a jockey has been in here. A few extra high level engineer spec super modifications added for who knows what reason. All were removed by me and the radio put back to standard and a full alignment done. Problem persists.
t radio looks like a mouse got in it n deficated a couple times

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.