• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

No it’s actually a new radio that’s just went out of warranty. It’s surprisingly clean except all the golden modifications that were done to it, now undone.

IT just kills me, that they haven't even put the radio thru it's paces and they've handed it to a guy that could care less about what they may use it for, once it leaves their shop.

Incredible...

I've gotten several Doorstops to become workable pieces of equipment again, when others have given up.

Wow I don't particularly care for seeing this kind of work. Especially knowing that when there are parts that sit on their desk and laying in their trash can - I need to put back into the radio - to get it's heart beating again. Only, I have to reconstruct it. It seems a waste of time - but this is how I've learned to repair radios.

To show that “Snake” isn’t the only hack artist out there, I opened this radio this morning...

So, why smear liquid electrical tape over this? It’s not like most everybody doesn’t know what’s going on here.

View attachment 26489
The liquid tape may likely be for protection against vibration, through-hole parts are bodged onto an SMT board, this won't make for a durable or rigid mod; not something you want for the radio in your mobile.. maybe for a stationary radio, okay.. but yeah the "hack" will work, but not in any rigid sense.

View attachment 26490
But wait, there’s more... check out what appears to be anti-seize being used for thermal paste. I had to see if that’s what it was and it sure seems like that’s exactly what it is.
Thermal pad on a heatsink
{from "arctic.ac"}
Avoid Common Mistakes
When using thermal pads or thermal paste, there are some mistakes that are often made. So, here are some ideas to avoid those:
Never use thermal compounds and thermal pads together. Just because you use both, the effect won’t increase. The reverse is true. Adding thermal grease on top of a thermal pad actually reduces the ability of heat to flow to the heatsink.
Also, never stack several pads on top of each other. Two or three pads on top of each other between the CPU and a heatsink might kill the CPU.
The thermal compound here is actually not needed (it works against you), it looks like someone used silicon thermal transfer pads and paste together, that's a #$@ mistake.

Last edited:
Well the “hack” is part of an incomplete NPC mod. As short as the leads were and closely soldered, nothing else was needed. They did that to attempt to hide what they did, seen this from “Trucks” also. I don’t know why, why hide it, so people like it and some don’t. There’s arguments for and against it.

It’s not there now, I removed the mod and the crud trying to hide it. Now once I get this holy terror working again then I’ll put it back because that’s what the owner wants. I’m not in the business of trying to convince people one way or another, so no time shall be wasted on that. His radio, not mine.

Yes, there’s a CF going on in the back of that radio for sure. That crap will be all cleaned up and fixed like factory when I’m done with it. I don’t know WTF somebody was thinking but it looks more like they weren’t at all.

Reactions: LeapFrog
TRPC,
isn't there an 8 volt regulator on the same wall as the audio chip that could cause your issues?

you might try measuring the output on the collector and see if you find a flaky 8 volts there.
LC

IT just kills me, that they haven't even put the radio thru it's paces and they've handed it to a guy that could care less about what they may use it for, once it leaves their shop.

Incredible...

I've gotten several Doorstops to become workable pieces of equipment again, when others have given up.

Wow I don't particularly care for seeing this kind of work. Especially knowing that when there are parts that sit on their desk and laying in their trash can - I need to put back into the radio - to get it's heart beating again. Only, I have to reconstruct it. It seems a waste of time - but this is how I've learned to repair radios.

I have restored 100's of door stops that others put on the parts rack. In the case of Snake I have not involved myself but after watching his videos I will say this, He is nothing more than a REPLICATOR he clearly has learned how to do what he does and whatever that is it's not anything more than assembly line techniques and he little or no knowledge of what he is doing or why it may or may not work, and whenever he runs into a radio that actually has a component level issue and requires troubleshooting skills that can only be applied if you know your way around the circuits and how they work in a radio or anything for that matter he is clearly at a loss and it is evident by the fact he can't fix the simplest problems or issues and has to sell the radio to someone that knows someone that can fix it. That is just my opinion but I have been teaching and repairing for nearly 50 years so I'm pretty sure that is all that is going on with the Snake. Please feel free and explain why I may be wrong.

My bad, I'm talking about 2 different radios at the same time here. The one I pictured is not the new out of warranty radio, that's an entirely different radio...my bad.

This one is about 50 years old and had more golden screwdrivers poked at it than, well, I guess you couldn't touch it if they were all poking out right now. How about that?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That is just my opinion but I have been teaching and repairing for nearly 50 years so I'm pretty sure that is all that is going on with the Snake. Please feel free and explain why I may be wrong.

It's been mentioned in this video that he was on his live stream having a problem with a radio and watching Mikes Radio Repair to get the answer.
I agree with you :)

There are more hacky guys out there than Snake.
Take a look at Joker Man. That's truly ignorance on fire running down the street.

It's been mentioned in this video that he was on his live stream having a problem with a radio and watching Mikes Radio Repair to get the answer.
I agree with you :)

There are more hacky guys out there than Snake.
Take a look at Joker Man. That's truly ignorance on fire running down the street.

You made me spit coffee all over my monitor... you gonna come help me clean this mess up? I didn't think so.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Which part made you do that? :p

Now, my coffee is most decidedly still in my cup so I have that one on you :)

Please feel free and explain why I may be wrong.

No reason too, just wanted to add that I learn a lot from other peoples' mistakes (Read: Snake) - it's knowing how they do it, that helps me UNDO it.

So - if you were ever to wander away or disappear - you would be sorely missed.

Thanks OT03.

I will admit as I'm no technician I do watch YouTube videos on how to but, Mr snake pumped out more than 800 cobra 2000s he should know the in and outs of the circuit boards by now .

I have heard him say thousands of Cobra 2000s.

The oldest search results I can find for him around around 2010/2011 when he seemed to come into existence.

Just some basic math... "thousands" of Cobra 2000s that he spends a day or more - as in 24+ hours of work, so each radio may be equivalent to two actual days..
1,000 would be 5.4 years. if he came into existence in 2010 that means we should see a lot more Snake Cobra 2000s on fleabay than we see.

Being generous, if it was 800 Cobra 2000s - that's 4.3 years.

No way. A hundred? Maybe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.