• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio mobile ntennas

Got my performer 5000 today. it was shipped Saturday from California priority mail, that was fast.

The specs say it weighs 1.433 lbs. However, it feels much heavier. The product description states it comes with 4m cable RG58 C/U for hole installation, but none was present. I emailed Frank at DNJ Radio and he said they came from factory without the cable, but he's contacting the factory to inquire. I'll report his reply later.

Here's screenshot of description concerning supplied cable:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/m42duster/2screenshot.jpg

My intentions were to simply unscrew my Wilson 1000 from it's roof mount on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and replace it with the performer. I don't think I will be able to use it unless I beef up the underside of my existing roof mount. The weight of the Sirio causes some hefty flexing of the roof panel around the mount. The minimal weight of the Wilson caused barely noticeable flexing at all. The flexing is probably enough to cause linear cracks in my roof paint, which I don't want. I would have to remove my hood liner to add additional metal to reinforce this area, major PITA and ain't gonna happen.

The supplied rubber/vinyl/PVC seal is kinda stiff and would probably benefit from some silicone grease to keep it pliable and help seal out moisture. The mating surface between the top and bottom which allows a 90 degree tilt is chrome plated brass. This are will need some sort of lubricant along with the angle screw that tightens the joint to keep from seizing. Instructions do not mention it, but it will be required.

I didn't take a meter to test SWR, as I was lazy. I did use my 2950DX's built-in SWR meter though. It seems to have the wide bandwidth as claimed. I finally registered 2 bars up around 28.500 mHz. Everything below that did not register on my built-in meter, even way down below channel 1.

It seems like a nice antenna, but if you are using a roof mount it will need to be beefed up if you care about your surrounding paint.

I am going to continue using my Wilson and save this antenna for another project or deal it off. I wish I would have ordered the Sirio High Power 4000 instead. It is lighter and has wider bandwidth and better user reviews.

When weather clears up i will shoot some video to show what I am experiencing.

Reactions: 1 person
wow, sounds like some pretty thin sheet metal there. there probably wasen't any reinforcement added when the mount was first installed. it all depends how you ordered it as to what you would get with it. i see that the dnj site is listing it as "standardly supplied with 4 m cable rg58c/u for hole installation" . the sirio site has it listed as "PL version: not supplied", and the H&Y site dosent list it as comming with any type of mount. i would contact dnj radio and ask them why they listed it this way? and from what i can see they added that wording to the listing. it dosent make any sense for them to have to contact the company to find out about something that the second party added.

thats ashame that you can not use it, you would have been happy with it, i find that it performs way better than any of the wilsons that i have had. i was thinking the same with adding some lube to the joint for added wear protection, which no dought would add to corrosion problems from using the fold down feature over time. however, i do not use the fold down feature.

i have been using my turbo 5000 for about a week and i havent had any issues with it as of yet.

Last edited:
Well...

I am going to sell the Sirio 5000 Performer and get this one. Should have done it in the first place.

1. Lighter (much)
2. Longer Whip
3. Tad More bandwidth
4. Cheaper
5. Beey "O" ring seal in bottom
6. UHF Mountable

Sirio High Power 4000 PL 10m & CB Mobile Antenna, DNJ Radio

there you go...still a good antenna. however, you would be limited as to how much power you could run if you decided to run an amplifier later on. i see it is listed as being able to handle 600 watts continous. i would be a little weary of that. i see that it is lighter, with a longer whip. im not so sure it would hold up to repeated encounters with low lying objects.

let me know how you make out.

I will only ever run 200-300 watts, if ever.

I am likely to just mount the Optima and settle for it's stock power. The extra bandwidth has me intrigued.

I have read some European chatter and they seem to like this one over the 5000 series. This model comes in two whip lengths, so be careful ordering.

1.1600mm
2.2000mm

The 5000 series antennas have whip lengths about 2" shorter if I am not mistaken.

I will only ever run 200-300 watts, if ever.

I am likely to just mount the Optima and settle for it's stock power. The extra bandwidth has me intrigued.

I have read some European chatter and they seem to like this one over the 5000 series. This model comes in two whip lengths, so be careful ordering.

1.1600mm
2.2000mm

The 5000 series antennas have whip lengths about 2" shorter if I am not mistaken.

well it could be. for me i always like a heavier duty antenna. in my opinion it holds up better over the long haul. it should still be a good antenna. so what have you been hearing exactly? i can't see it being over just the weight of it. and only having a slightly wider bandwidth, it is hardly worth writing home about. let me know what your findings are....

Hmm, I'm still thinking about ordering 1 next week. I guess the 4000 might be alittle light for a dx500. My install would be on a 2005 Sierra. I have a leaky Wilson 5000 now. It hits stuff around here so I'm not sure which way to go.

The 5000 is a fine antenna, but to heavy for me. It feels solid, though i think the wimpy seal could be improved. The 4000 has a nice big recessed O-ring.

I'll try and find the pic.

Hmm, I'm still thinking about ordering 1 next week. I guess the 4000 might be alittle light for a dx500. My install would be on a 2005 Sierra. I have a leaky Wilson 5000 now. It hits stuff around here so I'm not sure which way to go.

it is all about personal taste. i think the majority of the sirio mobile antennas look like quality ones. the turbo, performer 5000, and the hp, mw 4000's seem to be where the majority is going with. i feel your pain with that wilson 5000. the one i got was bad right out of the box, and my wilson 1000's coil finally crapped out.

from everything i have seen so far, if you don't have many low lying objects and run less than 300 watts i would go with either the mw,or hp 4000

if you run a little more power like i do( i also run a dx500) and have alot of unavoidable low lying objects like tree branches i would go with either the turbo, or performer 5000. let us know what you decide to go with.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned