• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio mobile ntennas

The 5000 is a fine antenna, but to heavy for me. It feels solid, though i think the wimpy seal could be improved. The 4000 has a nice big recessed O-ring.

I'll try and find the pic.

m42duster, i have been thinking about that bottom seal ever since you mentioned it the first time. i looked over my turbo real good yesterday and seen what you were talking about. i did end up finding a little water in it, but didnt find that untill i blew out the base with a little compressed air. hardly worth writing home about.

it appears to be seeping through the top of the outer plastic shell and the metal part of the base of the antenna and not from the base seal. i used some of that liquid electric tape with a small regular head screwdriver and dabbed a small "ring" around that tiny gap. and since it is a rubber compound it sealed quite well as i see after the last heavy rain that we had here, and sure enough it was bone dry. i think i will shoot sirio a email about that issue and perhaps they can redesign that plastic outer shell to accept some type of "O" ring before it is press fitted into place.

i guess that nothing is perfect, and if that is all the issues i can find with this new antenna, then i have really nothing to complain about.

This is the Base of the Sirio Performer 5000 PL.

I do not like the flimsy seal. I would use silicone grease on both sides of the seal. I would also use plenty of dielectric grease.

photobucket-6238-1337400769142.jpg

photobucket-3877-1337400771460.jpg

photobucket-1569-1337400769888.jpg

photobucket-2163-1337400772233.jpg

photobucket-7344-1337400773007.jpg

photobucket-1768-1337400774569.jpg

photobucket-7344-1337400773007.jpg

photobucket-1599-1337400773800.jpg

photobucket-3286-1337400767612.jpg

Sirio 4000

The Sirio 4000 is UHF mountable and has a nice burly O ring recessed in bottom of coil. Unlikely to leak. The flimsy seal for the 5000 series sucks and is of poor quality, IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
The real difference is having the ability to angle it down so you can drive thru the local hamburger joint. That's a plus . . .

I doubt very much angling the antenna down is much of a priority for Booty when he's approaching a burger joint, his gravitational pull is working flat out to get those staff to give him free supersizing on his bronto-burgers (you'll notice that's plural).:drool::drool:

Z
images

Booty on a 10-33 ,lol.
Z

Reactions: 1 person
I will be ordering my mag-145pl this coming Thursday. I still feel that my Wilson 1000 Mag-Mount won't hold the P-5000 JMO.

i seen this that at h%y this is a mag mount right? does it come with coax?
im fed up with wilson mag mounts .i the replacement mag mount from coppers
in 09 and it qit in me in 2011.2 years really

i seen this that at h%y this is a mag mount right? does it come with coax?
im fed up with wilson mag mounts .i the replacement mag mount from coppers
in 09 and it qit in me in 2011.2 years really

yes it is a mag mount, and it comes prewired with rg58c/u coax at 12'. it is ok for general short term use, but i would recommend changing it out to something like LMR 240 ultraflex.

i can understand your frustration about the wilson mag mounts. i rebuilt mine about four times in seven years.

the sirio mag is better quality. it is sealed against the elements with rubber gaskets and "O" rings. it is also about 1.5" bigger than the wilson.

yes it is a mag mount, and it comes prewired with rg58c/u coax at 12'. it is ok for general short term use, but i would recommend changing it out to something like LMR 240 ultraflex.

i can understand your frustration about the wilson mag mounts. i rebuilt mine about four times in seven years.

the sirio mag is better quality. it is sealed against the elements with rubber gaskets and "O" rings. it is also about 1.5" bigger than the wilson.

i have ran a sirio z180 up until my wilson mount crapped out on me. it is
around 6-8 inches longer whip and stiffer aswell. the wilson mount held it on good
no tip over issues.

bump. just checed out h&y and seen theres a few different sirio mobile antennas
p-5000
turbo-5000
hp4000
anyone have the whip lenths on all these ,and how it would compare to a z-180

the differences would be powerlevels and bandwidth. the turbo is a higher power verson of the performer 5000, and the hp4000 is lower power, but a slightly wider bandwidth..

the whip length of the p 5000 and the turbo is 78.5" and the hp 4000 is slightly longer. don't have one in front of me to give an exact measurement......i never owned a z-180, perhaps someone could chime in on that one. hope this helps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.