1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

STORY TIME!!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by 2NC995, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Cads

Our high school church group was out at Lake Dallas one fine Sunday for waterskiing. The adult church member with the tow boat had a heavy Vee-Hull and big V8 engine. He was easy enough on the girls, but on us, ha!

Most of us had plenty of experience with the various ways of getting dragged around by a boat, and some were VERY good in all of those. A lot of fun.

Well, at one point those of us back on shore waiting next turn (lamenting the lack of beer; we were legal and the church didn’t proscribe it, but the outing did) noticed a guy about 40-something backing a nice new open-bow 21’ down the ramp with an equally-new triple-black Fleetwood Cadillac.

Cadillacs were in an amazing abundance in Dallas in that era. Plenty of our fathers had them. Mercedes and all barely existed. That longer wheelbase model was nearest the top.

And we were (all of that group) MORE than familiar with launching boats. Bigger than what this guy had sometimes. Our Dad’s threw us the keys in those years and said to get it done. Take the rig for service. Get that boat off one lake and launch it at another lake, the rest of us will be there later. Get camp set up. Etc.

Boat trailers. Travel trailers. Stock trailers. A pretty good range of types. The lessons on each are still clearly etched.

Well, this Caddy Man was having trouble. We sort of watched from our football field distance without staring. His wife and kids weren’t help, they were hindrance. How far into the water was his problem.

It became too much. We put on our shirts and went over to offer to do the job for him. He ought to toss his wife & critters into that sampan and clamber in after them. We’d do the rest. (Any of us could do it blindfolded). Then park Black Beauty with trailer in the shade and wave them off to fun.

Hey (elbow jostle) we might even get a beer out of it.

And it won’t hurt we’ve got a few bikini lovelies tagging along.

I’ve rarely seen a guy act as offended as this guy. We were NOT expecting that reaction. Maybe a gradation of help on offer. (Nope. No, sir).

We went on back, the sun lower in the afternoon sky.

Y’all will just never guess
    to the second how long
    AND
    to the yard how far
    a Cadillac Fleetwood will float.

Clue: The hood ornament will stay dry.

So, we swam out to the boat now drifting into the current, started it (three of us otherwise swimming it back) then took it around to the public dock so kin & kindred would hush up.

You know, I still can’t believe the way we even once took those bikinied girls for granted.

Had known some lifelong. Beauty, they possessed, and the sophistication to tailor — to a fine point — manners for any event. Hair all done up, or loosened and shaken free.

On our return those waiting gazes performed the thanks stoic duty doesn’t require. To say we’d have died in unquestioned defense of any of them doesn’t quite capture the tone of the teasing they gave us. Knowing it.

We’d only done as was expected of us.

Reassured that the (non) boating family was okay — and with faces averted from what was now past — the walk back became those little barbs aimed at us in light quiet laughter.

5F3E6B71-2B3D-4070-8743-95F91365782F.jpeg

You already know the passengers I'd feel honored to chauffeur to church one fine Sunday morning. A beautiful spring day like today. Top down, and towards our promised future.

My best to you and yours this holiday.

May Laughter be the Light.
    And the Quiet, as Music.

#61 Slowmover, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020

2. G GOLLY WAlly

G GOLLY WAlly WDX 719 / Waldo on AM

Slowmover, I had a buddy in high school and his dad bought him an 80 or 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville, triple black, wire spoke rims, dual climate control I thought it was the coolest car a 16 year old kid could have. I remember cruising Broadway, jamming out to RATT and thinking we're bigtime! Or at least I thought we were, he got his dad to trade it for an 81 Formula Firebird T-top about a month later. When he showed up with the Firebird I asked what happened to the Caddy? He said it wasn't sporty enough, I told him he should've put some Craiger rims on the Cadillac and kept it. O well, it was fun while it lasted. :(

Slowmover and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  3. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Stock appearance. Right down to whitewall tires.

Shoulda dropped in a hotted .030-over 500-cid with 1971 heads & cam. Quiet dual exhaust and the 3.21 gears from the limousines. Trans shift kit. Police suspension upgrades from the F-41 Impala.

300HP to the ground E-Z.
    Well above 500 Lbs/Ft torque.

All Torque All The Time

Those Firebirds were dogs.

Had (have) a friend took this route. Different brand. No burnouts. No dumb doggy stunts. Blinding shine to the paint. Looked like it came off the showroom floor a few months ago.

Just quietly made all his gasoline money (and a fair amount of beer money) by making fun of poseurs in jacked-up Camaro's.

This boat, he told them (a grandmothers car) would wax the road with theirs.

Worked.

#63 Slowmover, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    G GOLLY WAlly likes this.
  4. G GOLLY WAlly

I bet that sucker would fly, cause I thought that Cadillac my buddy had moved on down the road and it was 100% stock.

Slowmover likes this.
  5. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

The 425 was de-balled.

The 472/500 didn’t weigh a whole lot more than a Chevy 350. Also didn’t rev past about 4600-rpm. With a plan to best utilize those, it would be FUN!

Bob Norwood shoehorned one into a black/silver 76 Seville (with the police Chev Nova 9C1 mods).

By reports, it was awesome.

G GOLLY WAlly likes this.
  6. G GOLLY WAlly

On the way home from West Virginia, I had been on the road way to long and driving way to fast. So I was scooting along pretty fast, when I realized to late that one of the vehicles I was passing was a Missouri Highway patrol in an SUV. Well I knew I was busted so I just continued on, he whips in behind me, hits the party lights and I pulled over as soon as I had a chance. He walks up to my truck and says how you doing today? And I replied pretty good how you? He said fine, can I see your drivers license. So I hand him my license, and he asked what's the rush? I said I'd been working in West Virginia and was just trying to get home. He said you do realize that you were speeding don't you. And I said o yeah I was definitely speeding, he said you think it was a good idea to pass me going 90 miles an hour? I said no sir, it was a horrible idea, but by the time I spotted you I was fully committed to pass the whole group of those cars and figured it's to late to stop now, and If I'd a slowed down that would have just made me look even more guilty. He just kinda shook his head and asked if I had any tickets on my record, and I said no, he ran my license and came back a little later and said I'm gonna give you an early Christmas present, just keep it around 75 and be careful. I thanked him a wished him a Merry Christmas, and headed on to Oklahoma. I think when you're just honest with the police, sometimes they cut you a break. That's not the first time that happened.:whistle:

7. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

• “Too long
    Too fast”

Takes but once, brother

1,000-miles is two long days on the road with no problems. 500-miles/day is enough.

I make it happen by planning all stops in advance. Then execute each leg separately.

Early start to the day, and an early stop.
    12-hr day, overall. 0400 to 1600 is how I do it.

Getting there (has meaning).
    “How fast”, doesn’t.

IOW, the really bad drivers (95%) have no situational awareness. Believe they’re traveling a particular speed VERSUS the reality of traffic volume (weather), etc.
    (Zombies).

Being a football field away is too close. (Adapt)

Find the space between the packs.
    Back down 10 to get them gone.
    Otherwise they’ll form around you.
    Absorb you into the hive mind.

The goal is to arrive fresh and ready to fight.

“Whom shall I send?
    Whom shall go for us?”
    “Send me, Lord”.

If you’re tired when you arrive home, you didn’t do it well. (When others were depending on you).

The beauty of our country means that each day is fresh. It is not yesterday nor is it tomorrow. “See” it with both eyes open. Exclusive focus on the concrete is poor judgment and skill. (See it all. “Know” the geography of place. Leave the big road with preparedness).

Don’t let the soul-less suck you in.
    Frantic, unprepared, stupefied.
    Terminally too fast for conditions.
    Incapable of mindfulness.
    (Don’t use their excuses).

My little family depends on me.
    As does yours.

(You’ve got luck, homes. Spend it wisely.
    IMO, you just spent $1,600 for $85 of value).

As always, a great story told in an inimitable style!!

#67 Slowmover, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  8. G GOLLY WAlly

Well Slow, I was guilty of lot, on the road to long, driving to fast, and tired. But the one thing that really surprised me, was how close that trooper was to the semi he was behind. I mean I couldn't have squeezed my little Nissan Frontier in between them, if that truck would have hit the brakes, he was a dead duck. But that still doesn't justify anything I was doing, I should have stop and slept a little while, I'd been driving about 12 and half hours when he stopped me.

9. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

There are no good drivers left.
    That includes them.

Borg-absorption.

Get a good antenna install into that trucklet. You’ll hear your brothers when it matters. I know I do.