• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR 500 AND POWER SUPPLY

Is this a fair price for the 667v with the fan kit/base stand installed? $700 shipped.
This Ebay seller has lots of goodies, and excellent feedback.
I always check a seller's feedback as its a very important part choosing who I will purchase something from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124184024485

I would caution you very loudly on the perils of Ebay. I don't care HOW good the feedback and seller/buyer rating is, they are capable of screwing you at any given time. I've been a 100% feedback Ebayer since 1996. I just sold an amp to another long time 100% ebayer. I listed the amp as NOT WORKING-FOR PARTS ONLY, because of potential parts swappers. The amp was in perfect working order when I shipped it. The guy put in a dispute with Ebay and claimed "not as advertised". Ebay gave him back his money and charged me for the return shipping. I now owe them $536.00, so they say. Upon receiving the amp back, I made an unboxing video. Yup, screws missing from the lid, rear input level switch broken and........... NO TUBES!!!! I tried to close my account and they won't let me, stating I owe them $536.00. It is now going into collections. BEWARE!!!

This is where I got my 500V: DELTA ELECTRONICS

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What did you drive those 500v's with as far as dead keys and pep?
And what was the dead key and pep of the 500v with what you were driving it with?

Using a low drive transceiver (DX 959), I would set the radio am dead key at up to 4 watts and the radio will output 16~22 watts PEP ....amp output at up to 500 watts plus.
I personally have two setups in my trucks where I use a Stryker SR955HP radio.
I still set the am dead key at 4 watts on the radio. The 955's will output UP TO 70~75 watts PEP into the 500V's .....Been using them like this for several years and the 500V amps perform great.
Now I am not suggesting anyone else run their amps this way. But I do with no issues.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Is this a fair price for the 667v with the fan kit/base stand installed? $700 shipped.
This Ebay seller has lots of goodies, and excellent feedback.
I always check a seller's feedback as its a very important part in choosing who I will purchase something from. Thanks my friends.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124184024485
View attachment 39200View attachment 39201

I had messaged them before. I think they "convert them" prior to shipping. You can always message them first. It's fan base is nice. One and done. :)

Reactions: Sonar
Greg . yes the transistors ts is calling Toshiba's are in fact fakes. The 6J code is a well known fake but some say it's a good fake and better built than dei or hg.
With that said blow one transistor and you'll wind up replacing all 4 since the fakes are unreliable. I don't see how they get away with selling amps like this.

Reactions: Greg T and Sonar
Greg . yes the transistors ts is calling Toshiba's are in fact fakes. The 6J code is a well known fake but some say it's a good fake and better built than dei or hg.
With that said blow one transistor and you'll wind up replacing all 4 since the fakes are unreliable. I don't see how they get away with selling amps like this.
I appreciate your reply.
Do you know how long TS has been using these fakes?
I ask because Texas Star amps are obviously the most popular amps sold, and they've been selling them for some time (since 76.)
If there was an issue with these pills I'd think operators would've been complaining in droves. I haven't noticed an out pouring of dislike for the TS amps using the fakes. Even you state the fakes being used by TS are better than the most popular replacement transistors.
I've read the HG'S aren't as bad as some say they are and from online postings and YouTube views it seems as if HG'S are the go to replacement transistors. They're cheap and as far as I read are fairly reliable.
If the fakes TS are using are better than the HG's than I'd have no problem purchasing a TS (with the fakes.)
At the output and price point there's not much of a choice.
I'd never consider an X Force, Dave made (newer) etc etc. I operate SSB and eventhough I could have a class C amp biased for AB (or whatever) Texas Star amps are ready for SSB.
I am seriously thinking about having 808 reconfigure my amp and transceiver situation so that I can switch between the sonar and Madison using antenna switches in order to use a single amplifier (Palomar 350Z.) Thanks for sharing your knowledge.73

Reactions: Tokin
Dear Chris 808. Please do me a favor. Check out exactly how many antenna switches are needed, and the correct configuration it takes in order to switch the sonar and the Madison over to a single amplifier.
I'd like to use the 350Z for both transceivers.
I can't see spending close to $1,000, and not exactly knowing what type of output, and whether or not both my transceivers are going to drive the mobile amplifier properly?
The 350Z is an excellent working amplifier.
Both the sonar and the Madison Drive the 350Z to 125 dead key and 500 pep.
I also get excellent audio reports with either rig on the 350z.
Why take the chance? Why spend the money when it's possible to use one amplifier on two transceivers (with the aid of antenna switches?)
Thanks brother.
Hope to see you soon. We will definitely talk within the next month.
PS thanks to all who replied. Even if I decided not to go with the Texas Star I have learned quite a bit about mobile amps and how they are to be driven. 73

I appreciate your reply.
Do you know how long TS has been using these fakes?
I ask because Texas Star amps are obviously the most popular amps sold, and they've been selling them for some time (since 76.)
If there was an issue with these pills I'd think operators would've been complaining in droves. I haven't noticed an out pouring of dislike for the TS amps using the fakes. Even you state the fakes being used by TS are better than the most popular replacement transistors.
I've read the HG'S aren't as bad as some say they are and from online postings and YouTube views it seems as if HG'S are the go to replacement transistors. They're cheap and as far as I read are fairly reliable.
If the fakes TS are using are better than the HG's than I'd have no problem purchasing a TS (with the fakes.)
At the output and price point there's not much of a choice.
I'd never consider an X Force, Dave made (newer) etc etc. I operate SSB and eventhough I could have a class C amp biased for AB (or whatever) Texas Star amps are ready for SSB.
I am seriously thinking about having 808 reconfigure my amp and transceiver situation so that I can switch between the sonar and Madison using antenna switches in order to use a single amplifier (Palomar 350Z.) Thanks for sharing your knowledge.73
I dont know how long but I believe they started using the 6J after the bunk dei supply dried up. I've heard more complaints about the pp100 and dei than these fakes.
The least they could do is take the Toshiba name off the fakes. Folks will now have to troll Alibaba and other China knockoff supply outlets and take notes of the "lot" codes and hope they don't match any real Toshiba lot codes from the past.
So let's go down the list.
The pp100 is no longer
Del is gone and unavailable
Texas Star is using fake China Toshiba knockoffs and
Unfortunately HG is our only real source at this time.
Anyone have anything to add?

Reactions: Ranch55
Dear Chris 808. Please do me a favor. Check out exactly how many antenna switches are needed, and the correct configuration it takes in order to switch the sonar and the Madison over to a single amplifier.
I'd like to use the 350Z for both transceivers.
I can't see spending close to $1,000, and not exactly knowing what type of output, and whether or not both my transceivers are going to drive the mobile amplifier properly?
The 350Z is an excellent working amplifier.
Both the sonar and the Madison Drive the 350Z to 125 dead key and 500 pep.
I also get excellent audio reports with either rig on the 350z.
Why take the chance? Why spend the money when it's possible to use one amplifier on two transceivers (with the aid of antenna switches?)
Thanks brother.
Hope to see you soon. We will definitely talk within the next month.
PS thanks to all who replied. Even if I decided not to go with the Texas Star I have learned quite a bit about mobile amps and how they are to be driven. 73
Sonar check this out.
https://www.gigaparts.com/mfj-1700c...C8A9JMZsiNiASYYJ1JXQ0eAw71wNmy4AaAjxBEALw_wcB

Reactions: Sonar
That's exactly what the doctor ordered. Thanks big time.
I just read the eham reviews for the 1700c.
3.8 out of 4. Any complaints were the usual about mfj. Some loose so-239 nuts rattling around inside the case, and some cold solder joints. Many reviewers complained about the Manuel, and it's lack of explanation . Oh boy! A call to mfj might B a must when hooking up the 1700c. That wasn't the norm in the 20-something reviews. The positive reviews we're very positive for the product. It looks like I'm going to go with the 1700c in order to run a single amp one antenna and two transceivers. I'd like to get one of those Serio dipoles. I'll see what 808 thinks about it when I speak to him. The switch will make it possible to run both amps along with everything else I mentioned above. Some reviewers actually had every so239 covered. Antenna Farms! Thanks again for the link. 73

Last edited:
One is all you would need to switch two radios. Just make sure the switch is in the right position and you will be good. I can bring my labeler and we can mark the coax on each end and the switch positions.
Chris. I'm assuming this switch needs to be more than two positions?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated