• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trains causing carriers and heterodynes all over the CB band.

I don't think that is a law, but I have been wrong before.
I see at least 3 separate FCC violations.

1) The fundamental frequency is spot on 27.115, not 27.120 so it's not RC or ISM.

2) There is no justification to generate a high powered, filthy signal with spurs every 40 KHz.

3) High powered ISM, induction heaters and RF generators are not allowed to radiate an interfering signal more than a mile away.

When I was at Perkin Elmer, there was a room with six RF generators that ran at 1.5 KW on 27.120 MHz. When you pulled into the parking lot you could just start to hear them if you turned the clarifier to one side, 5 KHz. off frequency with no interference at all on channel 13 or 14. It was a clean sine wave signal and even had harmonic filters between stages of the generator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb
I read the entire thing... thats not the system on American trains. Nothing on an American train transmits except on the 220 MHz band.

Good Luck
I apologize for having to put it this way but you are 100% incorrect. Every train on the Metro North system is continuously generating this signal as it moves and it's just a matter of time before ATP is implemented nation wide. The only time the 27 MHz. signal ever goes off is when the train stops at a station.

Last edited:
I see at least 3 separate FCC violations.

1) The fundamental frequency is spot on 27.115, not 27.120 so it's not RC or ISM.

2) There is no justification to generate a high powered, filthy signal with spurs every 40 KHz.

3) High powered ISM, induction heaters and RF generators are not allowed to radiate an interfering signal more than a mile away.

When I was at Perkin Elmer, there was a room with six RF generators that ran at 1.5 KW on 27.120 MHz. When you pulled into the parking lot you could just start to hear them if you turned the clarifier to one side, 5 KHz. off frequency with no interference at all on channel 13 or 14. It was a clean sine wave signal and even had harmonic filters between stages of the generator.
I wasn't disputing the violation of the rules. If they were breaking a law then we could sue them. Since the fcc doesn't pass laws, it is just a rule and they can break it if they want too. It may seem petty to some, but there is a major difference.

You would need to hold the antenna directly over the transponder in the track and then you might trick the system into thinking a train was present. It does not send any data so there is nothing to interfere with. It only supplies remote power to the transponder and that lets the system know where a train is. Since it is "magnetically coupled", the pickup must take place in the near field or right on top of it, otherwise power will not be transferred.

I would strongly suggest no one try and interfere with this system. Think about the harm you could cause if you make an oncoming train stop short on the track, thinking another is in front of it, while more are behind it. While some tricks are fun, it's safety first here.

BNSF or Union Pacific may look like private corporations. but the Federal Government has serious police power of jurisdiction. And immediate military call-up. Martial law.

Law regarding rail is a world to itself. As with Admiralty law. Direct threats to sovereignty.

Anyone wondering about the idea of serious domestic terrorism knows it’s BS. Until rail bridges over the Mississippi are dropped, it’s crap. (As the materials needed are cheap. Just not availability). Memphis & St Louis are the break points.

DoD classifies more than 50,000-miles of rail ROW as critical. Were there an “energy shortage” we’d have built enough atomic plants to electrify every bit of that from 1974 forward.

Same with airports (more so than air lines); specifically ATC infrastructure. ATL & DFW together would wreak havoc.

In both cases there’s only so much re-routing that can be done. Only so much backup exists.

No one with room temp IQ screws with them.

Why the One Belt, One Road Initiative is already fun to war game.

Last edited:
So what you all are saying is its ok to break rules.
If thats the case i should be able to operate a ham radio with no license.
After all you all say its just rules.
Humm think i should just buy a multi band ham radio,get my friends to get 1 and we can broadcast to each other.
Im now thinkin about the responses this will muster up

If what the FCC passes is just rules and not laws, how do they get enforced and collect fines?

I just scanned this but isn’t FCC rules the same as laws? And aren’t you supposed to follow the law? Most of us break the FCC rules with nothing more than the radio we use, not to mention the fact that some of us run amps on 11 meters.

Reactions: W4KVW and Rwb
Yep i agree with you The Real Porkchop.we all break fcc rules somehow,and yes the holier than thou ham operators who snuffed me when i asked them about gettin my ham license prolly were biggest fish in the barrel at rule breaking,mars cap mods more power etc etc

Reactions: Slowmover
Think of it this way. Has there been a law passed that says you must clean your room? No, but your dad is still going to whoop your butt is you don't.

The fcc makes and enforces their rules as they choose. There is no vote, no judge, no jury. Do you think the fcc would make a judgement that would find themselves guilty?

So what you all are saying is its ok to break rules.
If thats the case i should be able to operate a ham radio with no license.
After all you all say its just rules.
Humm think i should just buy a multi band ham radio,get my friends to get 1 and we can broadcast to each other.
Im now thinkin about the responses this will muster up

99% of people operating on the 11 meter band are breaking the rules with modified radios & illegal amplifiers & the FCC does little to nothing about it? You actually think the FCC or the government cares about what goes on with the 11 meter band? LOL You may as well either get use to it or find another hobby because Big Brother is NOT coming to the rescue for anything dealing with the 11 meter band in our lifetime or anyone else's.Even if anyone cared the FCC is a Toothless Lion with very small chance of any damage being done even if they bite.

SIX-SHOOTER

99% of people operating on the 11 meter band are breaking the rules with modified radios & illegal amplifiers & the FCC does little to nothing about it? You actually think the FCC or the government cares about what goes on with the 11 meter band? LOL You may as well either get use to it or find another hobby because Big Brother is NOT coming to the rescue for anything dealing with the 11 meter band in our lifetime or anyone else's.Even if anyone cared the FCC is a Toothless Lion with very small chance of any damage being done even if they bite.

SIX-SHOOTER

Well in that case, im now building me a 2x4x8x32x64x128 running off 1.21 jiggawatts and I’ll feed it with my 98vhp hooked all up with my trusty RG58 coax that’s 25 years old and been laying behind my shed.

Haha. Watch out FCC, daddy’s home...

yes the holier than thou ham operators who snuffed me when i asked them about gettin my ham license prolly were biggest fish in the barrel at rule breaking,mars cap mods more power etc etc

Rwb: Not sure where the snubbing happened, but sorry to hear that.
I certainly don't remember you asking here about getting your ticket. I certainly hope you have not let that one experience stop your desire to continue.
There have been many, many here who have started their Amatuer Radio carrier right here, and continue to upgrade and move forward with their interest in radio.
Many here to help with that pursuit, and I personally would welcome the chance to be of any help.

Now not to derail the thread any further. You must remember that the Railroads are almost a government department. Though individually owned, the government standards they adhere to are very tightly monitored and controlled. So if the citation is occurring, I would venture to say it is sanctioned or approved.
The FCC is the enforcement agency but ultimately Congress and other agencies(committees') make(pass) the rules. They(FCC) has control of the spectrum, so to speak. However any rulemaking ultimately must be passed and registered into the Congressional Record to become law.
I believe that to be the correct procedure. Others may correct me, but that is my understanding of the procedure.
This new system may very well be the direct result of the present administration to "Stream Line" regulation's and remove obstructions to new business systems and allow testing or implementation of given system in the interest of cost savings or public safety. (Again just speculation on my part) Without extensive study of all the FCC regulations (not just part 97 governing 11 meter/CB spectrum usage) It could be legal under other sections of the FCC codes.
MHO and penny's worth.
All the Best
Gary

PS: You won't find 1 radio sitting on my bench that has the "MARS" mod.

Rwb: Not sure where the snubbing happened, but sorry to hear that.
I certainly don't remember you asking here about getting your ticket. I certainly hope you have not let that one experience stop your desire to continue.
There have been many, many here who have started their Amatuer Radio carrier right here, and continue to upgrade and move forward with their interest in radio.
Many here to help with that pursuit, and I personally would welcome the chance to be of any help.

Now not to derail the thread any further. You must remember that the Railroads are almost a government department. Though individually owned, the government standards they adhere to are very tightly monitored and controlled. So if the citation is occurring, I would venture to say it is sanctioned or approved.
The FCC is the enforcement agency but ultimately Congress and other agencies(committees') make(pass) the rules. They(FCC) has control of the spectrum, so to speak. However any rulemaking ultimately must be passed and registered into the Congressional Record to become law.
I believe that to be the correct procedure. Others may correct me, but that is my understanding of the procedure.
This new system may very well be the direct result of the present administration to "Stream Line" regulation's and remove obstructions to new business systems and allow testing or implementation of given system in the interest of cost savings or public safety. (Again just speculation on my part) Without extensive study of all the FCC regulations (not just part 97 governing 11 meter/CB spectrum usage) It could be legal under other sections of the FCC codes.
MHO and penny's worth.
All the Best
Gary

PS: You won't find 1 radio sitting on my bench that has the "MARS" mod.
its a local thing in my area.wife and i attended a local hamfest.the president of the local chapter was saying ask him n he would gladly show and explane in detail the test and all.i waited till he wasnt busy.walked up introduced my wife n i ,then said im interested in taking the test.he said im busy dont bother me. He then walked over n started bsing with a few of his friends..
Looked around n a man that WAS a club member said hi to him he snubbed him too. I talked to the snubbed guy n he said his membership expires n its the end of it for that reason.
My wife n i been through some bad stuff,she said no way your gonna be around people like this.kinda got off the ham idea after that. Im ok with my cb radios. I sold my like new kenwood 271 ihad n said its over

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.