• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201 40yr/100 Mile Restoration Done Right

Excellent work! I would also replace R307, 100k 1W with a 2 Watt part, and R322 a 100k 2W part with a 5 Watt. This radio suggests low mileage, so the original two resistors may still have some years left in them. The yellow band on both is still bright and shiny. We replace all the resistors on our list pretty much regardless of apparent mileage.

I give all you guys that are capable of working on these old radios and amplifiers BIG BIG PROPS!! The pictures in this thread look like a pile of coat hangers, I wouldn't know where to start and be scared to death to try. I can do a swing mod or put in a simple echo board or lower the dead key in a cobra 29 or 25 but that's shakey at best. That's why I'm very grateful to all of you that can bring these old amps and radios back to life better than ever. And I have no problem paying good money to anyone that can do this work that I'm not capable of. I love the old equipment and I'm so glad there's people on this forum that can revive these old gems because I know I can't. To all of you capable of this type of work, I'm thankful and I salute you all.

Reactions: bucketofguts
Excellent work! I would also replace R307, 100k 1W with a 2 Watt part, and R322 a 100k 2W part with a 5 Watt. This radio suggests low mileage, so the original two resistors may still have some years left in them. The yellow band on both is still bright and shiny. We replace all the resistors on our list pretty much regardless of apparent mileage.

I think I have 3 100k both 3 watt I think. Kind words.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I give all you guys that are capable of working on these old radios and amplifiers BIG BIG PROPS!! The pictures in this thread look like a pile of coat hangers, I wouldn't know where to start and be scared to death to try. I can do a swing mod or put in a simple echo board or lower the dead key in a cobra 29 or 25 but that's shakey at best. That's why I'm very grateful to all of you that can bring these old amps and radios back to life better than ever. And I have no problem paying good money to anyone that can do this work that I'm not capable of. I love the old equipment and I'm so glad there's people on this forum that can revive these old gems because I know I can't. To all of you capable of this type of work, I'm thankful and I salute y

G- I have pushed/ puled so many parts it will be a miracle if everything works. It will still have to take a trip to an expert to have it tuned and aligned. Tubes are new, all but the finial which needs yet more voodoo. I am very grateful for the online help and your salute. Not hard to replace all high high watt resistors, and the electrolytic capacitors. Paint by numbers and lots of patience. The original parts in a hand wired tram if you could epoxy the tubes could fly into space i reckon. In 1976 you could buy this radio new for $750.00 USD.

If I don't kill myself with DC, this is my NOS antenna that my Tram 201 will be waving a hand your way. Miles to go.....................

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpeg
    IMG_4470.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 11
Checked usinflationcalculator.com, says that translates to $3943.37 in post-modern microdollars.

That's crazy, the Royce base station that was gifted to me has the add from I'm assuming a news paper, and it sold in the 6 to 7 hundred dollar range. When I saw that my jaw dropped, I was just a kid back then ( 1975/76 ) but I know that was a hunk of money back then, heck I still consider that a hunk of money now.

Reactions: bucketofguts
I had seen the glow lamps at Barkett. The process of sucking solder has become second nature to me in my tram journey. If you say PITN it will be a RPITA for me. Anything to check inside the radio that I might have caused to have the bulb for LSB/USB yellow not to light. It was buggy from the beginning now it will not light when mode switch is turned now. I will do some reading on neon the "NE-2"

Oh boy. So waiting on a few resistors. Put power to the unit. All tubes lit. Hum you could hear across the room s now all but gone. Tubes lit, dial lights work. Meter does not work, where to test and for what voltage to get an idea where I am.

Still going. Little over 1/2 lbs of parts including debris have been taken out thus far. Anybody watch the movie "Cold Mountain" Well I feel like Nicole Kidman and need Renee Zellweger to pull that roosters head off and put him in a pot.

Attachments

• IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    899.6 KB · Views: 11

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated