• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 and RM KL203

My kw with c 16 produces noise,lots more when accelerating.nobody knows why.tried ferroite n other things.very low swr drounds everywhere ,wired direct to battery pos n neg now what or like why?

Reactions: Slowmover
What we won’t do for our boys in the service!!

Time to reconnect my rig here in the Pete. Grab a loaded trailer and head for Mississippi.

Uniden 980 + KL203P + West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker

One needs that last piece!

Then ferrite install becomes obvious for a mobile.

ClearSpeech is The BOMB.

SIX-SHOOTER

My kw with c 16 produces noise,lots more when accelerating.nobody knows why.tried ferroite n other things.very low swr drounds everywhere ,wired direct to battery pos n neg now what or like why?

I’d look at routing of cables. USB and phone chargers. Etc. Yank any LED lights (first non-DOT, then DOT).

1). Try NEG ground to frame close to BATT NEG ground. (Fuse POS only)

2). Ferrites on each power line; both ends (how I’m set)

3). Ferrites at everything enters radio just behind radio (both ends of anything).

4). CMC/RF Choke at each antenna feedpoint. Outside if possible. Toroid wrapped by coax 5-6 turns.

5). Refrigerator power has huge toroid in it as compressor was killing me.

I don’t have #4 as above (yet). But am running with
A) Squelch off.
B) RF Gain on Max.
C) ANL only in urban areas.

Past that is RF Bonds on chassis. Both door hinges. Both mirror arms. Back of sleeper across shock. Hood (especially) if a large car. Cab from four corners. Horizontal surfaces get priority

Braided copper weave with tinned lugs crimped. (Some I made recently below with oversized lugs). Hydraulic crimper was $42 at Amazon. SELTERM tinned lugs for 4-awg as that fits the 3/4” wide braid I bought.

Haven’t done the big truck yet.

BD3BA286-5F49-4EB2-9128-6613408AA142.jpeg

K-whopper & Catturd motor.
Them days is past.
(Joke. JOKE!!)

I’m in a company Peterbilt, and well, ummm, how do I say this . . choose Texas-built over Ohio.

A course you could also raise the seat off the floor and lose the ceiling-grazing shifter tower. Get a windshield visor doesn’t cut vision to lower 6” of glass.

See, ALL KINDS OF useful and pragmatic suggestions from the TA parking lot peanut gallery!!

Last edited:
I’d look at routing of cables. USB and phone chargers. Etc. Yank any LED lights (first non-DOT, then DOT).

1). Try NEG ground to frame close to BATT NEG ground. (Fuse POS only)

2). Ferrites on each power line; both ends (how I’m set)

3). Ferrites at everything enters radio just behind radio (both ends of anything).

4). CMC/RF Choke at each antenna feedpoint. Outside if possible. Toroid wrapped by coax 5-6 turns.

5). Refrigerator power has huge toroid in it as compressor was killing me.

I don’t have #4 as above (yet). But am running with
A) Squelch off.
B) RF Gain on Max.
C) ANL only in urban areas.

Past that is RF Bonds on chassis. Both door hinges. Both mirror arms. Back of sleeper across shock. Hood (especially) if a large car. Cab from four corners. Horizontal surfaces get priority

Braided copper weave with tinned lugs crimped. (Some I made recently below with oversized lugs). Hydraulic crimper was $42 at Amazon. SELTERM tinned lugs for 4-awg as that fits the 3/4” wide braid I bought.

Haven’t done the big truck yet.

View attachment 35529

K-whopper & Catturd motor.
Them days is past.
(Joke. JOKE!!)

I’m in a company Peterbilt, and well, ummm, how do I say this . . choose Texas-built over Ohio.

A course you could also raise the seat off the floor and lose the ceiling-grazing shifter tower. Get a windshield visor doesn’t cut vision to lower 6” of glass.

See, ALL KINDS OF useful and pragmatic suggestions from the TA parking lot peanut gallery!!

i got grounds everywhere filters,ferrite on both ends.
I dont drive with seat in floor n my gearshift is factory 26 inches tall. Only thing left is dam elog gizmo. Im elog exhempt but truck came with it.was told i unhook whats left going to ecm,it shuts ecm down to idle only. I suppose a way to prevent driver tampering. Gonna cost to reprogram ecm.several shops said same thing.prolly why it has that box in side box on passenger side.

I was kidding with you about low rider. (Unless you got bullhorn antennas! Arriba!, Andale!). Same with brand. Ford or Chebby.

ECM I know nada.

Have you tried an RF detector? Bought, or home-made?

Chasing noise in one of these trucks gets old, quick.

www.K0bg.com

RF Bonding the other (DC grounds ain’t RF bonds). You already know this,,forget I said it.

Reactions: Rwb
I was kidding with you about low rider. (Unless you got bullhorn antennas! Arriba!, Andale!). Same with brand. Ford or Chebby.

ECM I know nada.

Have you tried an RF detector? Bought, or home-made?

Chasing noise in one of these trucks gets old, quick.
Im thinkin its that elog hooked to ecm,without the keyboard or sattilite reciever on truck id say its producing nasty rf
www.K0bg.com

RF Bonding the other (DC grounds ain’t RF bonds). You already know this,,forget I said it.

You guys need to get the wireless mic. This thing is awesome! I made a small bonfire Sunday and was drinking beer, playing with the fire, and talking to the guys. We are on 3/4 acre and the house is in one corner of the property, and the fire was in the opposite corner. No problems at all staying connected to the 980 with the 203. Hands down the most versital rig I have ever had. No BBQ would be complete without one. I clipped it to the front of my coat and could just hit the key and talk when needed. Try one for yourself, you will see.

IMG_20200322_162258790.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.