• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do the members think about.......

Should we just disallow future threads about Snake Radios and Fine Tune CB Shop?

• Yes both of them always end in a pissing contest.

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • Just ban threads about Snake Radios. Fine Tune is OK.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just ban threads about Fine Tune. Snake Radios is OK.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just ban Rabbiporkchops the next time he makes wild claims and posts videos about Fine Tune.

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
OK I have just about had it with the BS and bickering as well as some insane unsubstantiated claims made by some certain radio shops so therefore I put to the members the following question: Should we just disallow any more threads about Snake Radios and Fine Tune Radios? I picked those two because they seem to be the most debated and always end up in a pissing contest and new posters come out of the woodwork very opinionated usually for said radio shop while everyone else is against it. This is just a crazy idea I had this morning while waiting for my coffee to brew.

Coffee for you too?

Perhaps make the "playing field" more equal.

I don't mind the discussions, just the methods used to sidetrack, re-direct or defer or even derail a thread for it's original purpose - the "Hi-Jack" thing that occurs - plenty of examples showing this...but instead of the degrading, berating - deprecations towards others because of the theories and boastings they should be screened, as in allowed to post only after they have taken the time to adjust to the forums environment.

An example would be - a kinda feedback system that involves the poster "verifying" that this is what I want to post and if they mess up - they are given a extra chance to make amends - but not without moderation.

This may place more work on you for the process may be that you to use a "dashboard" and console that you have to go thru all the newbie posts and manually allow the post (like screening - not censorship - more of conduct - you have a website that has Terms Of Service with it's provider - you make violations against the "host" for the domain - you can find yourself with issues of even them willing to provide hosting services).Taking the TOS approach may offer a better level of conduct, or tier of safety for others

But in effort to provide the best level of service - you just can't let the forum try to run itself - I wish this was possible but as we have seen in the past - even the Constitution Of The United States has seen itself interpreted in many different ways - we are supposed to be able to self-govern ourselves and hold those that abuse the system - held accountable - but it's hard to enforce a rule when you can't even fault them for even missing a punctuation mark - so context as well as content needs to have boundaries set before this could even be installed.

One of the many sad things about all this are those "hit-and-runs" you see so prevalent these days - someone logs in as a new person - verified thru Email and wham off to post a series of messages as they try to generate damage or act as if they are damage control.

The above is just an example of why you are needed Captain, for the purpose of screening out those that want to harm the site due to some content they want by coercion or exercise perdition on the site to discredit others. Anonymity works well for many that want to do just that. You run a site that has Call-signs that are traceable - while they mingle with others that never even had their names ever checked for validity - as in identity theft They should prove whom they say they are for those that already have proven themselves, worked hard to validate and verify that they are whom they say they are - not to everyone - just to those the are responsible for the content of this site and the safety and security of it's members.

We are not talking certifications or college degrees, just prove that you are dealing with a real person - make it manageable for yourselves - what that person does is by their own hand afterwards is their own fault. So if they incite a riot and use this sites abilities to create it - you have to put out the fire but you also have more information about the users profile and "Methodi Operandi" (M.O.) You step in when the TOS you abide to and make others abide by for this site - has to be upheld to protect the members and keep the integrity of the forum intact. Protecting your assets - I guess...

I'll leave the rest for now, but when I used to "modem" while I ran a local BBS back when, I was held to a standard that if you violated it (your contract - TOS) or the trust of others on the network - you can find yourself in a very big mess and no one around that wants to talk to you or deal with your BBS - BS...

:+> Andy <+:

Reactions: 357magnum and w9cll
Coffee for you too?

Perhaps make the "playing field" more equal.

I don't mind the discussions, just the methods used to sidetrack, re-direct or defer or even derail a thread for it's original purpose - the "Hi-Jack" thing that occurs - plenty of examples showing this...but instead of the degrading, berating - deprecations towards others because of the theories and boastings they should be screened, as in allowed to post only after they have taken the time to adjust to the forums environment.

An example would be - a kinda feedback system that involves the poster "verifying" that this is what I want to post and if they mess up - they are given a extra chance to make amends - but not without moderation.

This may place more work on you for the process may be that you to use a "dashboard" and console that you have to go thru all the newbie posts and manually allow the post (like screening - not censorship - more of conduct - you have a website that has Terms Of Service with it's provider - you make violations against the "host" for the domain - you can find yourself with issues of even them willing to provide hosting services).Taking the TOS approach may offer a better level of conduct, or tier of safety for others

But in effort to provide the best level of service - you just can't let the forum try to run itself - I wish this was possible but as we have seen in the past - even the Constitution Of The United States has seen itself interpreted in many different ways - we are supposed to be able to self-govern ourselves and hold those that abuse the system - held accountable - but it's hard to enforce a rule when you can't even fault them for even missing a punctuation mark - so context as well as content needs to have boundaries set before this could even be installed.

One of the many sad things about all this are those "hit-and-runs" you see so prevalent these days - someone logs in as a new person - verified thru Email and wham off to post a series of messages as they try to generate damage or act as if they are damage control.

The above is just an example of why you are needed Captain, for the purpose of screening out those that want to harm the site due to some content they want by coercion or exercise perdition on the site to discredit others. Anonymity works well for many that want to do just that. You run a site that has Call-signs that are traceable - while they mingle with others that never even had their names ever checked for validity - as in identity theft They should prove whom they say they are for those that already have proven themselves, worked hard to validate and verify that they are whom they say they are - not to everyone - just to those the are responsible for the content of this site and the safety and security of it's members.

We are not talking certifications or college degrees, just prove that you are dealing with a real person - make it manageable for yourselves - what that person does is by their own hand afterwards is their own fault. So if they incite a riot and use this sites abilities to create it - you have to put out the fire but you also have more information about the users profile and "Methodi Operandi" (M.O.) You step in when the TOS you abide to and make others abide by for this site - has to be upheld to protect the members and keep the integrity of the forum intact. Protecting your assets - I guess...

I'll leave the rest for now, but when I used to "modem" while I ran a local BBS back when, I was held to a standard that if you violated it (your contract - TOS) or the trust of others on the network - you can find yourself in a very big mess and no one around that wants to talk to you or deal with your BBS - BS...

I have a day job that consists of 12 hour shifts. I need to lighten the load here and not add too it. What you suggest has merit but also has several pitfalls as well in both work load as well as general appeal to newcomers who object to the idea even if they are on the straight and narrow.

I'll leave it at that and PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE AND NOT JUST VOICE AN OPINION!!

How about limiting the length of some of the post? I have developed "Narcolepsy" reading some of the journals posted on here. One social media limits you to 140 characters.
I feel Captain Kilowatt does an excellent job with the limited resources he has. Keep the sails unfurled and the anchor up Captain!

Last edited:
I did vote but really needed another option.

Discussion is fine .
Opinion is okay.
What is right is far more important than who is right.
"I don't fucking know" is a correct answer.
Rabid Pork Chop needs to be kept around as an example arrogant hubris or "when in doubt , shut the fuck up".

To Scott ,
If you put the time and work in to know all you think you know you wouldn't be nearly as annoying. You wouldn't be quite as high maintenance. You wouldn't appear as a fool .
And ...
There is a certain humility that comes with knowing what you don't know even after putting in all the hard work and time to learn what little you do know.

To others,

I need to lighten the load here and not add too it.

When posting just keep that simple statement in mind. I can't believe the number of otherwise intelligent people that rise to the bait time and time again. It's an observation and a compliment. If not for the experience, intelligence and humor I wouldn't be here.

So even though I voted to put Rabid Pork Chop in the cross hairs there has to be another option.

Sad to see a single member singled out and put on a ballot of this nature.
This is just not right in my opinon.

Also, disallowing future threads about Snake Radios and Fine Tune doesn't serve much purpose unless the current ones are closed as well.

Again, just my humble opinion. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: Tallman
I most likely won't get a lot of kudos on this but aside from not tolerating obvious ignorant nasty language, it's really easy to just not pay any attention to the post which in many cases I just don't bother responding. I have responded to the Snake post with the guy claiming to be from Austrailia but only to point out what seemed to me to be a "Plant" of sorts sent here by possibly the Snake himself and just to be clear I don't know that to be fact I was just posting my opinion based on what it looked like, It's up to the individual to decide if it's important enough to even respond or as they use to say just TURN THE CHANNEL KNOB! or IGNORE THEM AND THEY WILL GO AWAY!

What should be said in the voting booth, is to "Ban those that continue to violate our policy of open forum - this includes all whom attack individuals whom have any opinion - good or bad - about a service they have received from a radio shop.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but be ready to defend your stance!" - that has not worked well before - it's why we are in this mess now...

That way, even myself would be included as a "Ban-able" person - and perhaps I should just step down right now.

If I cause Narcolepsy or otherwise become an irritant - then there is no purpose for my posts as a means to provide any kind of help I have wasted their time as well as all those whom may have needed information contained in it.

"How To Fix A Radio In 5 Words Or Less" - Doesn't mean "Throw It In The Trash" is an acceptable answer - but it is an answer - but not always a workable solution (But it fits the 5 words or less so it satisfies that criteria).

Again an opinion - but is it what one would deem - "ok I'm fine with that..."
But another may consider it an Attack based upon the questions they are asking...

I do not envy your job...

Banning threads on certain shops could put you on the edge of a very slippery slope.

A forum is a community, and like all communities they are going to have assholes. I know this isn't an answer that lightens the load for moderators but I see no way to totally eliminate problems of this nature without taking a moderation approach that resembles a totalitarian regime.

As members we can't control what other members do, however we can control our reactions. Maybe if we just ask ourselves if the "Report" button may be a better choice instead of "Post Reply" we can help out the Captain just a bit.

PS: I'm taking the "humour selection" not because of any issues with the Rabbi but because none of the others fit my opinion.

I have not voted yet, but i will.

CK, you are in a tough position, and im sure you know that there will never be one answer that will satisfy everyone.

This forum is unique among internet radio forums because we have been able to navigate the sometimes tenuous relationship between ham radio enthusiasts, CB radio enthusiasts, and those who enjoy both facets of the hobby.

We didn't do it by banning people we disagree with, but we also don't just sit by and let the trolls run amok. I believe that it is precisely this balance that keeps this forum going while so many others have gone away or become graveyards.

I think that it is very important to understand the reasons behind the failures of other radio forums if we are to continue what we have here.

Banning people on other forums has created more problems than it has fixed because the person is now motivated against the forum that banned them.

These threads in question are like car accidents and while you know you aren't going to see anything good, you can't help but look at them. I know i've been caught up in the debates before, but i never wished that the person i was arguing with would just get banned so i could "win".

We actually do have a way to "ban" someone without actually kicking them off the forum, and that is called the Ignore Function. I can ban anyone i want from my forum experience, and i can tell you that my experience is better for it.

If others aren't using this option with people they don't want around, then they are making a conscious choice to allow that person into their experience here.

After typing this up, i am clear on my vote, but it is not one of the options. My vote is to not ban any threads or members unless there is a clear violation of the rules already set forth.

I will say however that these types of threads do not need to be allowed to go on as long as they usually do. If the thread is just a "check out this youtube video! this guy is an idiot!" type of thread (im guilty of posting these too) then it can be locked to avoid the "pissing contest" but people can still see it and watch the video if they choose.

If someone actually has a question involved in their initial post, the thread can be locked once a legitimate answer has been given, or as soon as it becomes clear that no one is interested in actually answering it.

If people didn't want these thread around, there wouldn't be any responses to them.

I will end with a favorite quote of mine, relayed to me by an old truck driver after hearing me argue with someone on the radio:

"there's no point wrestling with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".
LC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.