• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is backswing?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Can someone be kind enough to explain what backswing means in relation to CB radios please?

I've googled it, but thus far folks talk about it but dont say how it came about.

I found this :

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/back-swing.25903/

This hasnt anything to do with deadkey right? When I deadkey on lowest rf power , the watt meter swings back a little during measuring I think.

Last edited:

The finals don't have enough headroom when the carrier is fully modulated so the power reading swings backwards on an average reading meter like a bird 43. Can be caused buy an under rated power supply, bad tuning or just running the carrier too high.

Swinging back a little isn't much for concern. At 100% mod the average reading meter will wiggle a bit. Some words will bump it foreword and others will make it drop slightly. If it drops significantly something is wrong. A pep meter should always swing forward. If it doesn't you have a serious issue somewhere.

If your radio is really swinging the average reading meter forward some kind of super swang mods have likely been done. NPC mods, swing kits, cap & resistor type stuff.

Reactions: Limeybastard
The finals don't have enough headroom when the carrier is fully modulated so the power reading swings backwards on an average reading meter like a bird 43. Can be caused buy an under rated power supply, bad tuning or just running the carrier too high.

Swinging back a little isn't much for concern. At 100% mod the average reading meter will wiggle a bit. Some words will bump it foreword and others will make it drop slightly. If it drops significantly something is wrong. A pep meter should always swing forward. If it doesn't you have a serious issue somewhere.

If your radio is really swinging the average reading meter forward some kind of super swang mods have likely been done. NPC mods, swing kits, cap & resistor type stuff.

Thanks for your kind explanation.

Just need a video now to see .

It is counterproductive to have it swing back - at all. Means you've hit the wall and it bounced back. Sorta like having an N4 with a 250w max dead key when it should be no more than 100w. Of course these numbers are moot if one isn't using a dummy load and a decent meter to put it where it belongs by design.

A dummy load isn't expensive. Even with a mediocre meter you will be far closer than not. Kindly consider buying one if you are going to go into a radio making adjustments - the life of your radio may well depend upon it. MFJ sells a 1000w load for about $30 - well worth it.

Last edited:
It is counterproductive to have it swing back - at all. Means you've hit the wall and it bounced back. Sorta like having an N4 with a 250w max dead key when it should be no more than 100w. Of course these numbers are moot if one isn't using a dummy load and a decent meter to put it where it belongs by design.

A dummy load isn't expensive. Even with a mediocre meter you will be far closer than not. Kindly consider buying one if you are going to go into a radio making adjustments - the life of your radio may well depend upon it. MFJ sells a 1000w load for about $30 - well worth it.

Yeah, Ill get the dummy load, cheers.

Yes, the MFJ-250 is the better one to use for high power. You can use common mineral oil instead of transformer oil to fill it. It's cheaper and doesn't smell. Any Variety store that sells pharmacy and other health supplies should sell it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated