• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which CB Shops are still accepting mail-in repairs?

Just checked out Bobs CB shop website.
https://www.bobscb.com/shop/products.html
They do repairs but only if you bought the radio from them. This got me thinking, I don't know what shops charge by the hour but if the repair costs more than half of a new one then is it worth repairing?
Hmm, a point I never thought until now. It maybe cheaper just to buy a new radio compared to repairing.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Why not? Radio is not immune to planned obsolescence. Everything else seems to be that way today.
I recently purchased a (like new, in the box) mobile CB from 1978 for 30$, after I install new capacitors I'll have a radio that should last for many years, and is comprised of components and board materials thicker than what is found in a modern CB, arguably the older equipment was made better!

I recently purchased a (like new, in the box) mobile CB from 1978 for 30$, after I install new capacitors I'll have a radio that should last for many years, and is comprised of components and board materials thicker than what is found in a modern CB, arguably the older equipment was made better!

I agree. Been into radio since about 1976 and was a tech in the broadcast business for for 22 years. There are certainly exceptions to every rule and buying a NOS radio for a song is one of them. Having bought something in it's day and having it get beat up and scratched from 40 years of use and trying to hold onto it is a different story. I myself own and maintain a VERY nice Kenwood TS-820S because I got it for a good price and it was near mint and it is a great performer.

The boards were of better quality for sure but the performance from the new rigs is hard to beat. If I were looking for an am/ssb cb in 2018 I'd buy a bearcat 980 over a old 148.

Reactions: LeapFrog
The boards were of better quality for sure but the performance from the new rigs is hard to beat. If I were looking for an am/ssb cb in 2018 I'd buy a bearcat 980 over a old 148.
I agree, I thought I mentioned it was an AM only mobile but I left that out.
The Grant XL is a great radio (for SSB people) also if you can't find an older 148, & if I had to go more modern yet, my choice would be a 980 for sure.

Reactions: Unit 194
The Grant XL is a great radio (for SSB people) also if you can't find an older 148, & if I had to go more modern yet, my choice would be a 980 for sure.

Over the years I have picked up 4 nice Grant XL's that for the most part were unmolested. I had to have one limiter re connected. And I was fortunate enough to buy them before people started asking $150 for them raped and pillaged.

Funny how people believe that they are worth more with all those crap mods and extra channels.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Grant XL for sentimental reasons. Everytime I think of old CB radios I think of what people will pay for an old 148 or 2000. They were great rigs in their day but things have changed and too many hands have been in most of them. They are more stable than the older exports but the frequency stability of the cpu controlled rigs are on par with a bonafied HF radio.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Grant XL for sentimental reasons. Everytime I think of old CB radios I think of what people will pay for an old 148 or 2000. They were great rigs in their day but things have changed and too many hands have been in most of them. They are more stable than the older exports but the frequency stability of the cpu controlled rigs are on par with a bonafied HF radio.
I still get down on a Johnson Messenger 1 from the 60's, it is a few cycles off.. I get compliments all the time on how it performs..! :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.