• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

Look at the pic Yeti Comm. LTD posted Bundy. It shows the board and also states that radios are shipped in the freeband mode with no jumper installed. You may have to solder the jumpers together. Not sure about this so don't qoute me on it. From the manual. Page 6 bottom right corner of page 6.
Freeband Mode
Radios are usually shipped in this mode. All functions and 24.5 to 29.9mhz continuous coverage. No jumpers.
Also know that you will lose the ability to have the enitre 11m band changing jumpers, and will be limited to only the US/AUS CB channels in 10k steps. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps.

Reactions: binrat and Bundy
Mine came with a jumper so you may want to just pop open the case and check (assuming you don't care about any warranty tags). I'm pretty sure it's a standard jumper you can salvage off of any older PC/ hard drive.

I too just use the frequency readout and memories.

Reactions: 222DBFL
solder wire to "cb" jumper spot put switch on there mount to outside of case, you can now have "cb" mode (switch on) or "free band mode (switch off). if you need.
I was told by yeticom that the radio would have to be turned off to reset the mode, and they didn't know what would happen to the presets when switching back and forth either.

I was told by yeticom that the radio would have to be turned off to reset the mode, and they didn't know what would happen to the presets when switching back and forth either.
they are retained in either mode ..been a long time since i have ever had anyone want a optima in any other mode other than expanded .
i did recheck after your email about it and programmed up both usa mode and freeband mode with various memory's and switched between them with the jumper and both retained their respected memory modes/channels/freqs/offsets (necessary's turning radio off then on again to enforce the new mode of operation expanded/channel/or ham only)

but why would anyone want anything other than full coverage ...lol

It is pretty quiet, and sometimes way too quiet with the filter on. It can be nasty switching from ssb to am. When I had my amp inline, i would hit the receive and delay buttons when switching back and forth, and sometimes i wouldn't blow the speaker. What vehicle are you wanting to shoehorn it in?

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma

optima 3k

recently acquired the Optima 3 and have had poor results when TXing on AM...locals say I sound very muffled & Basie...this was using the HM36 mic as well but, I think the one made in China.. LSB/USB seems to work very well when TXing... Over all the radio works well and has great reception hate to reconsider in selling if I cant use AM.. Any one else experiencing the same results...
Thank you
Yes, I just installed mine and I'm told it sounds muffled on am. I can't reach anyone on SSB. At best the rdcdive is very good.

Turbo T,
I just checked in on this thread. I also have a 04 Tacoma and an Optima.
Can you post a picture or two of your install.

I contemplated trying to remote the display and controls. But with over 37 connections and some data signals it probably would not have worked.

SSB is truly where this radio shines. I have to agree with Tucker442, it's not an AM radio. But with the right mic and setting it can be made to work on AM. Just not like a Cobra 29 or an AM only radio. JMO.

but why would anyone want anything other than full coverage ...lol
Some (mostly newbie) CB operators have been known to twist knobs, and turn switches on radios... and some end up transmitting in an area that is not CB, they get lost and think the radio is broken because they don't here anyone, or worse yet they may get the attention of a HAM operator, when they wanted to work "CB" only!

But in this case, I think the operator just wants a legit 10 meter range, no chance for accidental "out of band" operation, a kind of fail-safe way to dummy proof the radio for 10 meter use!

Disclaimer: Just my opinion said here, nothing more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.