• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

I'm new to the base station thing. 3 days ago, my 4th DX contact ever was in Southern California. I'm in NW Florida. I've got a Galaxy DX959, a cheap BJ $75 amp and a home made antenna out of scrap aluminum and copper wire. I'm hooked.
And yes, the past 3 days have been very quiet here too. I blame the bad weather every day lately.
I've got multiple contacts with a 101 Randy in Gulf Breeze in my log book; 921 also in Gulf Breeze; and a 69 in Pensacola.

Last nite after checking in on the SSB net the band was so quiet that I could hear stations out 150 miles + , even got to make a contact with Cabover Bob up north.
About 10 pm I could hear Hawaii but could not get back to them, then it closed up for the night.
Have been to busy today to even turn it on.

Jeff
After talking with Cabover Bob here on the forum, turns out it was not him, I was calling on 17 and the mystery operator is just using his handle......
He said he is still on the radio, but different hours.
Oh well I tried.

Jeff

Figures, I put new antenna on the truck and I'm thinking, is this thing working? Checked a couple of SDR deals online and the band took Sunday off!

JD
I feel you, it's a bummer isn't it. I got the new radio on the air earlier this week and condition have pretty much sucked all week. Maybe you'll get to use that new setup soon if the sun decides to get busy.

I feel you, it's a bummer isn't it. I got the new radio on the air earlier this week and condition have pretty much sucked all week. Maybe you'll get to use that new setup soon if the sun decides to get busy.
We'll be running it out on the big street this week so if all else fails, turn up the echo and yell Baba Booey! LMAO!

JD

Speaking of quiet... the band seemed way more open a few weeks ago. BUT I do get this unpredictable noise that sounds like wind blowing into a microphone. I can see it all the way up towards 30mhz too on the SDR waterfall. It tends to move around sometimes fast and sporadic. What the heck is this?

note: SDR is hooked to a longwire outside, but both my vertical CB T2LT, and longwire seem to pick up this wind tunnel.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-08-28 21-11-07.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-28 21-11-07.png
    467.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot from 2022-08-28 21-21-05.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-28 21-21-05.png
    563.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Wow
Reactions: Rwb
After talking with Cabover Bob here on the forum, turns out it was not him, I was calling on 17 and the mystery operator is just using his handle......
He said he is still on the radio, but different hours.
Oh well I tried.

Jeff
i hate it when that happens

Reactions: AudioShockwav
its been thunder booming here all day n not a drip of water fell. i mean VERY DAMM CLOSE .sadly im off today n radios set unhooked

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.