• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone fish too?

Here is my recipe for carp.

Same story repeated to me for the last 30+ years. And while I could never prove it, I’d believe that 99/100, or probably the full 100, had never eaten one. Quite a joke about eating the burnt board - I’ll take the fish - “bunni” in Arabic.

I used to bow fish for them quite regularly. Had no problem selling my catch, though I never ate one until traveling outside the US.

Reactions: 357magnum
Actually I have eaten one before. It has to be cooked right though. Fresh hot oil with the beer batter and thin slices. The fish flavor has to be tuned down a bit. If the smell of the fish is off I won't be able to able to eat it.

When the lobster tanks became all the rage for grocery stores i could smell it the second the door opened. I was standing there complaining to the manager of the stench of the tank when I barfed.
Other people complained too when they heard me complaining. I told them there must be a health issue with a tank that stinks like that and I would not shop there until they got the malodorous tank under control.

Last edited:
Actually I have eaten one before. It has to be cooked right though. Fresh hot oil with the beer batter and thin slices. The fish flavor has to be tuned down a bit. If the smell of the fish is off I won't be able to able to eat it.

When the lobster tanks became all the rage for grocery stores i could smell it the second the door opened. I was standing there complaining to the manager of the stench of the tank when I barfed.
Other people complained too when they heard me complaining. I told them there must be a health issue with a tank that stinks like that and I would not shop there until they got the malodorous tank under control.

That’s not the trigger for me, but there are a few. I sympathize.

Have had thousands of gallons of aquariums running in my house at one time...I call total BS on puking over a lobster tank.

Fish and shrimp in a cooler smell far more than a lobster tank, unless the lobsters are floating.

Maybe stick to eating cedar boards, or stay at home?

Last edited:
Don’t know about the gar. I was happy with the carp though. Not sure how yours were cooked, I always had them prepared by splitting down the middle and cooked cooked upright next to a hot wood fire...90 degrees to the heat. Let’s the grease drain that way, they are oily. And the y bones, lol.

Popular around here is puffer fish. Hadn’t yet tried them...about a chicken wings worth of meat in one.
A neighbor fixed it for a little get together, I believe he told me he steamed it. Not sure, it was a long time ago.

Have had thousands of gallons of aquariums running in my house at one time...I call total BS on puking over a lobster tank.

Fish and shrimp in a cooler smell far more than a lobster tank, unless the lobsters are floating.

There was a bacteria in the water and that was the cause of the stench.

The REAL PORK CHOP had been using the salt water for a gargle.

There was a bacteria in the water and that was the cause of the stench.

I don’t know. I can only tell you I have bought and sold many live fish, worked in the industry, and have never seen a fresh or saltwater tank that smelled like that. Even very poorly maintained ones.

Bacterial blooms are a very common and occur with new setups, changes in stocking and sometimes out of the blue. With the exception of deep sand beds that can produce an odor when disturbed I’ve never seen bacteria be the cause to stink up a place.

First thing to look for when a tank smells is always large dead things decomposing.

I get from your posts that your stomach isn’t cut out for this type of stuff...so maybe that’s the most significant difference here.

A neighbor fixed it for a little get together, I believe he told me he steamed it. Not sure, it was a long time ago.

Ive heard steaming is a common method, but don’t think I’ve ever had it that way. Grilled, is all I remember anyway, plus however it was prepared for soup.

The only true rumor I’ve ever heard about eating carp is the Y bones.

Often reputed to be muddy and/or fishy tasting...I’ve never had that experience. I actually find carp to be exceptionally mild, and not the slightest bit fishy, compared to any other fish I’ve eaten.

They’re also fun to fish for, and even more fun to bow-fish for. Used to absolutely slaughter them as a teenager. Always a BLAST.

Haven’t done so in years...but would jump at the chance now.

Sorry guys ! I like fish ! But I'm Tapping Out on That ! :sick::LOL: But I am having Fresh Sword Fish on the Grill Tonight ! Ps , I didn't catch it ! :LOL: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Reactions: 2NC995
Sorry guys ! I like fish ! But I'm Tapping Out on That ! :sick::LOL: But I am having Fresh Sword Fish on the Grill Tonight ! Ps , I didn't catch it ! :LOL: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Are you near any native trout fishing?

That’s the fishing I miss the most from way back when. I was lucky to live on a nice branch of the river (or “crick” for us) that had HEALTHY native brookies. Was a bad day when I couldn’t fill my creek with a bunch of fat 12-16 inch fish.

Usually now when I see people talking about natives they’re just little chicken wings. I don’t think I ever kept a brookie under 10...and that was only if they were fat.

Ive heard steaming is a common method, but don’t think I’ve ever had it that way. Grilled, is all I remember anyway, plus however it was prepared for soup.

The only true rumor I’ve ever heard about eating carp is the Y bones.

Often reputed to be muddy and/or fishy tasting...I’ve never had that experience. I actually find carp to be exceptionally mild, and not the slightest bit fishy, compared to any other fish I’ve eaten.

They’re also fun to fish for, and even more fun to bow-fish for. Used to absolutely slaughter them as a teenager. Always a BLAST.

Haven’t done so in years...but would jump at the chance now.
Most of my memories of my grandpa Williams are the summer mornings we spent fishing the Poteau river, I caught a lot of carp, had a blast. I was 11 years old spent a lot of time with him that summer, thank goodness, he was diagnosed with cancer that following December and died that March. That was the most time I'd ever spent with him, I'm glad we had that summer together.

First G Golly , Carp ? I had a shallow river behind the Gas Station I worked @ as a Kid . On my Break I would take a Ball Bat & Club Them ! :whistle: You can't hit them hard as the ones here will Shatter like like the canned Tuna ! :LOL: But I got a lot ! Dan , I'm lucky enough to have a Small Pond about & 1/8 of a mile behind my house , loaded w/ Native Trout ! Been fishing that 20 years , not big but do they fight on a 4' Fenwick Graphite ! I love Trout Fishing ! But also I am " The Cheap Frenchman " ! :D I don't have to $ for a Trout Stamp any longer in this state . I love catching them & the spots w/ my waders on still produce after all these years ! I caught several just last week & kept 1 Brookie & a Rain Bow for Supper . I could eat them all the time ! Once a year is good for my Wife ! :rolleyes: If you ever get up my end ... I have the " Spots " ! Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo Ps & Deer ? I got that covered ! :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.