• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone fish too?

Now this is some good eating!!!! the meat is flaky when grilled and is a dense heavy meat. Very much like a tuna steak. I have caught six of these since I have been fishing up here. These are caught by snagging. Very specific rules for the rigging. The rod cannot be longer than 8 ft and the gap of the treble hook to it's shank cannot be more than 1/2". You spend a day snagging for fish and you are a tired old dog at the end.
Paddlefish_Polyodon_spathula.jpg

Now this is some good eating!!!! the meat is flaky when grilled and is a dense heavy meat. Very much like a tuna steak. I have caught six of these since I have been fishing up here. These are caught by snagging. Very specific rules for the rigging. The rod cannot be longer than 8 ft and the gap of the treble hook to it's shank cannot be more than 1/2". You spend a day snagging for fish and you are a tired old dog at the end.
Paddlefish_Polyodon_spathula.jpg
Is that a dinosaur fish? And you have to use cave man ways to catch it? Wow.

True that! It's black caviar to boot! The fish and game people will arrest you on the spot if you get caught trying to sell it retail so most of it gets buried in the garden.
($125.00 lb.) It is so hard to crack all of the little eggs so you can make scrambled eggs.(Joking) I won't eat sushi type materials. I hear it taste pretty good though. Put raw fish close to my nose and you better duck because my last meal is headed right at you.
no_puking_320.jpg

Last edited:
Put raw fish close to my nose and you better duck because my last meal is headed right at you.

I always ate sushi with cooked meats..

Then one day a friend convinced me to eat “seared tuna”. It was RAW. Seared hell...the most that tuna ever did was look at a grill. Still cold.

And it was frickin’ amazing.

That opened the door for me. Now...real sashimi, raw oysters, even raw clams. Can’t get enough :ROFLMAO:

Never ate caviar...but if I had a good source I’d jump on it.

Oh...and not raw, but crab “mustard”. I used to be absolutely disgusted that anyone would suck the guts out of a blue crab. Haha...man that stuff is good. If you’re picking flakes off meat you’re missing some of the best :)

Last edited:
Swore off raw anything circa 2003.
If one’s immune system has a defect in it, it’ll be found.

I don’t miss oysters as much as I thought I would. Sushi (of quality), the same. That window closed.

As “eating out” (genuine meal) is rare for me, a steak always more than makes up for those above as a focus of desire.

Never cared much about fish. Mountain trout the real exception.

Weird and/or giant fish a source of amazement.

“You mean I’ve been skiing and swimming with those things in the lake?”

4AB3E587-522F-49F6-9551-EC7212DAE005.jpeg

Giant Jewfish down at the coast?

85608D24-3C0B-46C1-8DF1-41D8CD1B39EC.jpeg

Ha!

Swore off raw anything circa 2003.
If one’s immune system has a defect in it, it’ll be found.

I don’t miss oysters as much as I thought I would. Sushi (of quality), the same. That window closed.

As “eating out” (genuine meal) is rare for me, a steak always more than makes up for those above as a focus of desire.

Never cared much about fish. Mountain trout the real exception.

Weird and/or giant fish a source of amazement.

“You mean I’ve been skiing and swimming with those things in the lake?”

View attachment 38320

Giant Jewfish down at the coast?

View attachment 38321

Ha!

After catching a MONSTER like that you can retire your rod and reels.

a steak always more than makes up for those above as a focus of desire.

You triggered a thought.

When far away from home and living on goat heads and rice, everyone around me always longed for a rack of ribs, giant steaks, surf and turf and the like...all the extravagant stuff.

What I missed the most was wonder bread and peanut butter. Tuna salad. Pimento cheese. Cold, fresh milk.

The stuff I actually lived on.

One thing I ate many times overseas (that also brings my post back on topic) is carp.

Always taught they were totally inedible. Not the case at all!

Last edited:
You triggered a thought.

When far away from home and living on goat heads and rice, everyone around me always longed for a rack of ribs, giant steaks, surf and turf and the like...all the extravagant stuff.

What I missed the most was wonder bread and peanut butter. Tuna salad. Pimento cheese. Cold, fresh milk.

The stuff I actually lived on.

One thing I ate many times overseas (that also brings my post back on topic) is carp.

Always taught they were totally inedible. Not the case at all!
I've ate carp, not to bad. I've also been told that gar have some meat along their back that you can eat??

Don’t know about the gar. I was happy with the carp though. Not sure how yours were cooked, I always had them prepared by splitting down the middle and cooked cooked upright next to a hot wood fire...90 degrees to the heat. Let’s the grease drain that way, they are oily. And the y bones, lol.

Popular around here is puffer fish. Hadn’t yet tried them...about a chicken wings worth of meat in one.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...c7cf7cef3e9212d886e4319535f333da&action=click
Gar is edible the swamp people had a big family get together and people chowed down on it.

Here is my recipe for carp. Take a cedar plank that has been oiled with olive oil.
Prep the meat in any fashion you desire. Soaking in milk over nite is good and rub down with chili powder. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the carp on the board and the board on a cookie sheet. Bake until the cedar plank is browning in from the edges.
Take out of the oven. Toss the carp in the trash and eat the cedar plank..

Last edited:
Don’t know about the gar. I was happy with the carp though. Not sure how yours were cooked, I always had them prepared by splitting down the middle and cooked cooked upright next to a hot wood fire...90 degrees to the heat. Let’s the grease drain that way, they are oily. And the y bones, lol.

Popular around here is puffer fish. Hadn’t yet tried them...about a chicken wings worth of meat in one.
I like me some FUGU right about now. That is the one raw fish I will eat, if done right.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.