• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone getting snow?

It's awful isn't it. First measurable moisture since September for us here, First snow of the winter. Lake Meredith here was at about 98 feet in 1996, it had gotten down to around 26 feet a few years ago and hovers around 30 feet now. Nowadays a sprinkle and everyone's gets excited.

Here's the view from my front yard towards what we call boot hill (boots on the posts) and my girls couldn't help but build a snow man.
View attachment 62304View attachment 62305
Did you pose for this sculpture?

Changed my mind. At this rate we will easily have 5" or more in the next 4 hours.

20230124_232453-01.jpeg

The cold damp wind will chill you to the bone
It doesn't get as cold in Oklahoma as it does in your part of the country or the West Virginia panhandle for that matter. But when I come home, in my mind I think I'm going to be warmer because the temperature will be warmer. But at home 35 degrees with 15 to 20 mph wind still feels pretty cold, just not as miserably cold as in the West Virginia panhandle. Same thing in the summer, I think I'm going to feel cooler at work because the temperature isn't as high, but a humid 88 degrees is still hot just not as miserably hot as a humid 105 degrees. I guess at some point cold is just cold and hot is just hot, just different degrees of miserable. And for anyone that's never been to Oklahoma or Arkansas, it's just slightly less humid than the West Virginia panhandle the main difference is during the summer months once the sun goes down I can comfortably wear pants., I can't do that back home. Pants aren't a good option in Oklahoma or Arkansas until about the end of September. I still wouldn't trade my weather for yours and you probably wouldn't trade your weather for mine. I guess it's just where you've lived all your life and what you're body's gotten used to is how we all survive.

Like they say There is no Utopia ! That's why a lot of us retired folk head South for Winter and North for Summer. I remember being under welding gear in 95 F. with High humidity just to feed my family. I'm trying to get prepped for the North South travel deal. The desert in the winter and either Maine or Washington in the summer. They call it Pipe Dreams. LOL

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
And this is how us Old Bucks entertain ourselves while we are remodeling our kitchen while the Snow is flying outside. The other day I listened to AM skip on my hand held while working and didn't enjoy the jive talk on AM so got thinking I wanted to listen to SSB while working in the kitchen. Well I dug out my very first power supply I bought in 1973 or 74 to run my first Royce Mobile and actually talked 25 miles one time on my First Shakespeare Big Stick and of coarse that was Barefoot. Wondering if any of you remember this power supply.
First Power Supply.jpg
First Power Supply.jpg
On low setting she runs 13.8 volts with radio turned on it drops to 13.6 but I sure enjoyed 38 LSB most of the day with PC-122 and a cheap $16.00 mag mount antenna throw ed on a piece of sheet metal in the window. With a surprising low SWR but didn't try Talking. LOL

View attachment 62343
We didn't get as much snow as predicted, maybe just maybe 4". But it's enough to shut Okies down :ROFLMAO: Y'all living where you get real snowfalls would be laughing (bad roads? What bad roads?)
When I lived in Montreal, it was great when the roads got snow packed, because it filled in all the potholes....... Haha!

Yes I am sick of it...lol I find the older you get , the more you dislike it. Spring is not to far now.lol
That looks like the normal winters I was use to around here. In the 60s & 70s most people had snow mobiles and had winter time fun. I'm feeling fortunate for this mild winter because my old joints talk to me after moving the white stuff.

That looks like the normal winters I was use to around here. In the 60s & 70s most people had snow mobiles and had winter time fun. I'm feeling fortunate for this mild winter because my old joints talk to me after moving the white s
I do remember some snowy winters from late 70's and up. Ridin those old sled with the carb shooting fuel and or flames at your stomach! We have been lucky this year for minimal snow to move around and deal with in general.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.