• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

SSB modulation was fine before I started having the feedback or whatever issue it should be called when testing the Carl Built amp (not its fault!) with the Q5N2. Ever since then, the SSB modulation can best be described as crunchy, choppy like when you're using a crappy amp on SSB except this is just straight radio. The modulation on AM and FM is still crystal clear. I have tried various power levels, modulation levels and two different mics, multiple brands and lengths of RG8x patch cables, and two different PSUs (well, three if you count running it from a battery). The Q5N2 is connected to a dummy load and I am listening to the voice on my President Lincoln II+ V4 that is not connected to an antenna. The only thing the Q5N2 is connected to is the dummy load. No antenna switches, SWR/power meters, etc. SSB modulation on the Lincoln is clear both without and with running the amp.

I replaced the four IRF520s with Vishay brand ones from DigiKey and just did the bias voltage adjustment.
Can you listen on another receiver? Just to be sure. (Also check NB is OFF, on the RX you are using to listen).

Just a quick thought, did you check the predriver before the 520s?
To be honest and to show my ignorance, I don't know what that looks like, where it is located or how to tell if it is good once I do find it. But I'm definitely game to try.

To try to resolve the SSB voice distortion, I replaced the four circled IRF520s with Vishay-branded ones from DigiKey, the circled high power bipolar transistor TIP36CW and the L7808CV voltage regulator. The latter two were mainly because they were a) inexpensive b) easy to get to and c) sounded like they may have something to do with what I am trying to resolve (WAG). Please remember I am very new to this, the learning curve is greasy and the amount to learn is mammoth.
NewMosfets - Copy.JPGBipolarTransistor - Copy.JPGVoltageRegulator - Copy.JPG

To be honest and to show my ignorance, I don't know what that looks like, where it is located or how to tell if it is good once I do find it. But I'm definitely game to try.

To try to resolve the SSB voice distortion, I replaced the four circled IRF520s with Vishay-branded ones from DigiKey, the circled high power bipolar transistor TIP36CW and the L7808CV voltage regulator. The latter two were mainly because they were a) inexpensive b) easy to get to and c) sounded like they may have something to do with what I am trying to resolve (WAG). Please remember I am very new to this, the learning curve is greasy and the amount to learn is mammoth.
View attachment 63043View attachment 63045View attachment 63046
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the pre-driver transistor is the one on the left side just around the corner from the other three IRF520s (circled in blue). If so, it was replaced too.

1678150950130.png

View attachment 63043View attachment 63045View attachment 63046
I was thinking of Q109, I believe it is the pre, predriver.

I was thinking of Q109, I believe it is the pre, predriver.
No, Q109 has not yet been mucked with by me. I'll see if I can pull a part number off of it and do some digging.

Last week I invested in a 10 power and a 30 power lighted magnifying glasses. I have joined the gang of geezers that can't read all that damn fine print anymore. Could be much worse though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
No, Q109 has not yet been mucked with by me. I'll see if I can pull a part number off of it and do some digging.

Last week I invested in a 10 power and a 30 power lighted magnifying glasses. I have joined the gang of geezers that can't read all that damn fine print anymore. Could be much worse though!
The only identifying marks I found on Q109 are on the back and they are "02314" on the top and "F 1H" on the bottom. My initial search turned up stuff like the following light reading. ;)

1678198525920.png

Or how about an octopus hook? :)

1678198687891.png

I'll continue looking after work today.

The only identifying marks I found on Q109 are on the back and they are "02314" on the top and "F 1H" on the bottom. My initial search turned up stuff like the following light reading. ;)

View attachment 63053

Or how about an octopus hook? :)

View attachment 63054

I'll continue looking after work today.
The only schematic I am aware of, is the original version of the original 5555. Might not be much help, but might provide some clues.

Attachments

• Schematic_Anytone_AT-5555-V6-7_ENG.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
It might be a 2sc2314, a common 27mhz driver transistor.. heres the data sheet for it, pwr out is around 1.5 watts.

Attachments

• 2SC2314_SanyoSemiconDevice.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: TimmyTheTorch
I ended up deciding to swallow a bit of pride and stubborneness and sent the radio to a service shop a few hours away from here. Hopefully the tech there can get the radio back to a solid starting point and I can avoid repeating the errors that contributed to it needing service in the first place.

The only way to treat these Anytones is to enable 11 meters, and close it back up. They seem to do a very good job at the factory tuning these radios.
By the way, the KL-300-p is loafing along at 150-170 DOSY watts with the Q5n2 pushing it with 12 w. I've gotten 200, but I want it to last.
Are you able to use the 300P on SSB at all? If so, how does it sound?

read the entire thread. appreciate all y'all sharing your experiences. :)

i like the size, and 6 pin mic connector of the AT-6666. the RJ-45 mic connector kinda urks me. however i don't like the heat sink on the AT-6666 near the PL-259 connector. looks like it would be a PITA to connect/disconnect often. digging the features of the AT-5555n II. seems a more refined than the AT- 6666. volume knob seems handier on the AT-5555n II for mobile use. with the heat sink it's 12" long though :O

would the AT-5555n II be better in a noisy environment like a jeep with a soft top? i see it has noise reduction on TX. how useful is it? would a noise canceling microphone be the better option?

how low does the RF power go out of the box on the AT-5555n II? for vehicle to vehicle within sight of each other.

i'm thinking of getting the AT-5555n II. then if Anytone releases an updated AT-6666 II, the AT-6666n II will become a base station.
so I am going to turn on the weather alert function in the menu, and see if it works right.
well, how is it? please and thank you.

I ended up ordering the Tekpower TP3005T Variable Linear DC Power Supply
<rant> i own this power supply. it's OK if you don't need to switch voltage/amperage settings often. problem is the knobs quickly (3 seconds) 'time out' and you have to push them to activate them again. plus, it's fan sounds like a hair dryer at/above 1A. unless you are setting a voltage/amperage and leaving it there, and are willing to live with noise above 1A (or modify the fan) avoid this power supply. </rant>

/richard

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated