• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are you really shocked?

By all means Oil Patch you can be the Ham radio
Sargent recuriter !! for quote on quote all those cb "idiots" out there.(being black and walking into a Klu klaks Klan meeting comes to mind) May the force be with you. Interesting hmmmm ?? So let me see if i got this right here ? If a Ham radio Sargent recuriter .recuits a few cb "idiots" does this mean there no longer "idiots" :roll: :roll: ok ok ok ......IM done now. Peace

So Ham radio is better than C.B. because of a test?
So go buy a book with all of the questions and answers memorize the answers pass the test ( unless you are a complete idiot) and become a ham. Big deal what did you prove that you can read and remember what you read and than take a test and pass and most likely forget most of what you read and most likely did not understand anyways.
I bet the FCC would just give the lic away if they could. I think all they want is the fee anyway. But too many hams would scream bloody murder.
Cb vs ham Ham vs cb? Who really cares spend your money pick your service and run with it enjoy your hobbie witch ever one you pick.
Most likely when you need really to chat or need a communication media in a emergency you will pick the cell phone anyways. 73's

King Mudduck said:
You boys know why there are so many stupid cbers???? That's because there are so many stupid ass CB shops/techs out there telling people to do retarded CRAP to their radios that the few and i mean very very few good shops out hate dealing with them because of that very fact!!! You know whats worse than a stupid cber? A stupid CB tech!

AMEN!!!!!!!

Master Chief said:
Would you agree or disagree that the drug culture has taken over the CB scene? I can tell you its that way here in Southern CA. The number of clean operators are overshadowed by the drug addicts and yes, they are a pain to work with. How was my statement out of line?

I've been in every state in the US, worked on radios during that time in about 18 states, and I can tell you this.

SSBers don't typically use drugs. They may smoke pot, but most SSBers are older, or younger guys with families, that use it just like ham radio.

AM channel 19. They are the drug culture. If not 19, insert any local channel. If you don't have the meth / coke problem in your area, wait... It's coming.

Trucker channel: See above. Especially if your near an interstate and truck stop. For those locations, CBs are use for selling meth / coke, selling truck stop trinkets and looking for sex.

Anywho..... Your right MC... It's not that way everywhere, but it's spreading. I spent 5 years travelling, have been in every state but alaska, and had a radio the entire time. So, yeah, I feel I can also make a judgement based upon experience.

--Toll_Free

Well toll -free ,nothing is for free in this business. You make the choices that you make. You break the laws of the land and you get to deal with people ,that's the way it goes. If you don't do the crime in the first place , you don't have to deal with whatever comes your way there after via people. You want to put your family and reputation on the line when it comes to a cb shop and all the legalities that come with it !! Come on dude !! You been around long enough to know that in the end of all of this ,it's more so a losing battle then not. And you bet your ass I've seen what it has done to the owners and there families as you put it !! I personally do not blame the cb'ers for this , I blame the dude that decided to make a living (or try to) at it !! The God damned moaning and groaning makes me sick !! Why can't a guy be responsable for himself and what he chooses to do with his life ? always pointing the finger at somebody else always having three more of them pointing right back at himself ! Blacklist and Whitelist , Well that's just all good with me !! but I personally don't give a ratts a$$ what color it is !! It's still basically a illegal business and for the most part , when things ain't right with the laws of the land ,things are not right with the folks that seem to break them , problem here is this , some folks are better then others when it comes to breaking the laws in this business , you might say they do better illegal work then the other guy down the road or in some other state , but just because your work may be much better then his in theroy , you will still get the same God damned punishment that he does. So cb'ers are stupid huh ? way I see it is , I think the guy, as you put it, who decides to put his name and family and reputation on the line to play cb shop and does know the laws of the land and decides to do it anyway is surely taking a "stupid" risk and all the bull$hit that comes with it. I told Justin that he was still young and getting out of it as far as I was concerned was a good thing , you bet your a$$ I meant ever word I said when I said it !! because I have seen in my 20 years around this hobby how much it has cost and how much damage it has caused others and there families that decided they were going to play cb shop !! but yet there still trying to blame it on somebody else :roll:

Toll_Free said:
Peddler said:
Master Chief said:
Besides, CB'ers are just stupid and a pain to work with! Not all of them, but most of them!

I think you're out of line with that statement.

He's right.

If you don't believe it, open a CB shop full time and put your name, reputation and your families livelihood behind it.

--Toll_Free

But there again where do you think the attitude that most CB'ers have came from? You think that some one who never used a radio in there life just woke up one morning with the mind set that i know everything about radios and you cant tell me anything so im going to go out and have a swing kit installed,the key turned really low and also have some monkey go turning pots in side my radio just for the hell of it? If you boys want to blame anyone for the mindset that CB'ers/truckers have you better blame the source first!

With all due respect to everybody, and no harm meant on any side, I can say that I have seen this with my own eyes. I used to do some installs on the side for a radio shop that was heavy into CB for a time. A radio comes in all messed up. My shop friend KNOWS it has had someone's fingers in it, but "OH, NO! I ain't never turned the first screw in it!" :D :D

"OK, OK, take yer word for it", so the tech repairs it and sets it up to specs according to the "book" (Prob'ly Sam's Photofact). Then he carefully explains to the CB op, "Now set the mike gain here and the RF gain here, and the ALC here." "Now you see it on the scope; it's perfect, OK?" "NOW LEAVE IT ALONE"!

"Yeah, OK, I won't mess with it"

Couple weeks later the same guy comes in, "This radio ain't workin' right".

Everything is turned to the right, the ferrite slugs have been turned down to the bottom, pushed OUT of the circuit board (James found 'em rattling around in the case), and some of them are wrung off! :cry:

"BUT I AIN'T TOUCHED A THING!"

HAHAHAHA! :p

Jimmy closed the CB shop and concentrated on commercial and
Amateur stuff! :p

(I truly hope I haven't offended anyone as I mean no harm whatsoever. If, OTH, you find it funny, you can certainly relate particularly if you have run a shop,)

CWM

SwitchKit,

for some reason you have taken my words quite personal. Lets clarify a bit.

First, if you were to ever meet me in person or have contact via CB, you would quickly realize that I am quite far from being conceded. What I meant was that I intentionally run very clean sounding radios that don't splatter. Sounding "professional" means that I tend not to get nasty and cuss and be generally shitty on the radio. I like the family that CB radio can be, but laugh at the Drama I've heard. I don't get wrapped up into drama on the radio, although I've seen my share around me.

I dig CB radio for what it is. It's the Wild West out there, and that appeals to me much moreso than ham radio. Ham operators may not understand that, but CB'rs do. Hence, it's why I am a CB'r. Yep, I talk differently on AM than I do on SSB. That doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. I am a more "professional" SSB operator, whereas on AM I have a ball being an AM'er. It's fun, and that is what this hobby is all about.

Humbled you ask? Ask the MasterChief what Chiefs initiation is all about. I was initiated in '95. That may not mean squat to you and I don't care. It means everything to us and that is all that matters to me. Do I know who MasterChief is? I've not a clue. It doesn't matter either. Do I take his side on every stance? No. Do I need to impress him/her because we have similar backgrounds? Nope. Just a commonality and unseen companionship we share being what we are/were professionally in one career. But most of all, he made sense in what he said.

Maybe I did not go back and re-read everything that was spelled out in this entire thread, but I'm not going to do it now either. My comments weren't directed at you, but you take them personal. Look man it's like this, if you sound like shit on the radio because your radio sucks, overdriven, overmodulated, etc., you won't get any help from me. But if you want to have a great sounding radio and want help, I'll be the first to try and help so we all sound better on the airwaves. It's just that simple. I have spent hours helping very poor people with setting up their systems because they wanted to be on the radio. Yeah it cost me money, but they were great operators who cared about local CB. And NO, I'm not rich! Far from it. I've helped young ham operators set SWR's and tune their radios back on frequency to where they could shoot skip and be understandable (on their CB radios, not Ham radios). You would think they learned that stuff, but well...

I am no Tech, nor do I claim to be. But you took my statements all personal. Honestly, I found it funny, but wanted to at least make an attempt to answer your rave. So let's talk about the "Idiot" word shall we?

Now SwitchKit you can't tell me you haven't heard some radios and operators out there on the airwaves you just shake your head at and wonder why their parents bred? Those that walk into a store, purchase a $50 radio, pay for $100 in mods and sound like crap with a $2 antenna and wonder why? Or the Ebay shopper who buys a used radio for three times the price of a new one because it's got a "Supertune, super charged tune, mega tune"....pick your choice. The "idiots" I refer to are the many who wanted the fast food answer to a question without doing any homework whatsover. Lazy people get what their money will buy. "How can I run a 2X4X16 pill amp into an RadioShack mag mount antenna with RG-58"? But that is what somebody told them, and they don't believe you when you tell them the antenna is 95% of the solution, and they have spent $1000 to still remain a mudduck. Go figure.

Okay, I have made my attempt to give you a straight answer to your interesting response to my post. I have not personally attacked you or made any attempt to make this post nasty. Maybe I not was clear before, but looking at the length of this response, maybe I have shed better light on my perspective of CB radio. I like CB radio a lot. I just wish there wasn't so many crappy sounding radios out there. Even a stock radio sounds cleaner than many we hear.

Now it's your turn....

Alsworld

I have my own personal beliefs and how I personally feel AW , I honestly try not to take things to personally even if they should sound that way in my words written , folks may take them anyway they like , I suppose I might be able to control something like that but then I might not be saying what I want to say at any given time.Maybe IM Blunt comes to mind ? , maybe my bad ,but blunt all the same , sorry if I offended you, because you are certainly intitled to feel anyway you chose as I am or anyone else for that matter. Someone writes it ,and then we have a choice to reply to it or simply pass on. I would agree though , that there has been many times for me,that passing would have more then likely been the better way to go for myself......even still AW , as for most times ,I pretty much meant every word I said as IM sure you did as well. Peace

JustinDePolis said:
Jimmy closed the CB shop and concentrated on commercial and
Amateur stuff!

Now you know why we are closing and moving on, not to mention that there just isn't any money in CB work.

I mean compare the everyday Cb'er, they will scoff at spending more than 100.00 on their radio, ask 1000 questions, tell me their life CB radio story, tell me they want a lot of swing and to be loud and proud, complain that there must be something wrong because their D-104 with the talkback all the way up causes feedback, but a city has a contract flat rate of 120.00, and doesn't think twice, they just send them in, you fix them, and get paid.

Yep. Jim did it for 20 years, patiently trying to get operators to
operate their CB equipment within spec. In vain, of course. And those guys didn't realize that they were LYING when they came in with a twiddled, "golden-screwdrivered" radio and said, 'I ain't bothered a thing in 'ere" and a tech can TELL that it has been monkeyed with! :D

"Can'cha git just OOOOONE more watt out of it"?

(Jimmy) "One more watt isn't going to help you-it takes 4 times the power to get.........................."-- you know the story :D

"MY 'swrs' :D are 1.3 an' I want it flat!"

(I always wondered how many 'swr-zzzzzzzzzzz' there were in ONE feedline! :p )

"It won't make a BIT of difference".

"I broke my 'radicals' off my antenna (radial".

"Well of COURSE I can fix it,but it ain't a 'radical', it's called a RADIAL!" :p

"I'll come back when you get them 'radicals' put back on! :D

Break 'em

Fix 'em

Tell 'em to leave it alone, IT AIN'T GONNA GET ANY BETTER!!

Bring it back.

Slugs broken off down in the pots.

"NOW I TOLD YOU TO LEAVE IT ALONE! WHASSA MATTER WITH YOU"? :evil:

Increase the shop hourly rate.

"Now, Jim, you KNOW I'm your old friend an you surely ain't gonna charge ME that much are ya?" (read: he's special and that rate applies to everybody ELSE)

= one fed up radio tech and a shop whose sign is rusting away.
The only thing it's used for is storing LOTS of AM ham equipment he built over the years.

"If I bring my 'reddio' over to your house, would you fix it"

NOPE!!!!!! :D ;)

Sound familiar?

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.