• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBi explains antennas. (put on your high boots)

DC voltage drop per foot...
Ever put 12V into 100' of wire and get a lot less at the other end ? I'm sure you have.
Ac losses in db/ft @ frequency...
If there is sufficient loss in a lengthy coax run it's nearly the same but,
it works in both directions!
So if 20% of your energy never makes it to the antenna then 20% of the reflected energy never makes it back to the VSWR meter at the radio !
It's just numbers .

Reactions: Rwb
DC voltage drop per foot...
Ever put 12V into 100' of wire and get a lot less at the other end ? I'm sure you have.
Ac losses in db/ft @ frequency...
If there is sufficient loss in a lengthy coax run it's nearly the same but,
it works in both directions!
So if 20% of your energy never makes it to the antenna then 20% of the reflected energy never makes it back to the VSWR meter at the radio !
It's just numbers .
So I guess running 1000 ft of RG58 would not be a good idea?

For anyone still interested ...

I went here,
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Systems/Antennas

Found Hertzian Antennas...

If you look at the diagrams and then his

CCADemo.jpg

Then his ....
BBIAntennaDemo.jpg

Hence the problem - now if we can only get him back to correcting it - instead of this entire thread - we may have salvaged another user from becoming an isolationist...

He drew "capacitive" effects - we just need to re-direct his efforts...

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
Well good luck with that Andy. Cause he disabled comments on all his videos and I haven’t got an answer from an email yet, I was trying to spend money too.

Maybe you can call him?

man this is an informative thread!

based upon all the good info here, i have made a couple of changes to my antenna system.

I took a hacksaw and cut my aluminum vertical right down the center. then i folded the two halves down to a perfect horizontal angle.

now my signal is coming out the ends of the antenna and my neighbors have never heard me so clearly!

they told my my audio was louder too!
LC

I got lost in this.now im trapped

.... There’s got to be a way to stop that pesky RF from going up instead of out, dang ole RF man... talking bout goin’ up and all man...

You just need one of those exposed coil antennas, the reason they work so well is because as the signal goes around that coil the centrifugal force throws the RF off the side of the antenna before it can make it to the top and go straight up.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated