• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Build me a Ham Shack

@BJ radionut thanks. I was going to jump into the antenna subject in my last post but thought otherwise, thank you for bringing it up. As a new guy I hear things. LOL sounds like a double naught spy opening line. Antennas are key. I think Night thumper aided me big time with the endorsement of 718s, as well a a few other men. The price suits me just fine as well. There's always the ' next radio' consciousness, just like the next spinning reel, or next Fenwick fishing pole, the next rifle, the next car, the next next. I will certainly look into your suggestions as well. I appreciate your sticking by me through this thread your help is valuable.

As an aside, I am working on the Extra exam. That exam has singed my short hairs after failing it once. Taking it just after the General Exam and being totally unprepared I failed. OK, I took a shot at it and missed, but I don't like failing. Back to the subject at hand, I need to get my hands on my HOA's rule book and see it's position on flag poles. Antennas are a complete mystery to me right now but I'll figure something out even if it means using my car or using a platform that needs to be taken down at night. I saw a video os some woman getting help with an attic installation which worked out just fine. After some adjustments she was able to make some long distance contacts. She does live near me. I think she picked up Ireland.

I was HUGE Kenwood fan for years...would own nothing else.
They produced some marginal stuff in the 2000's (TS-2000) IMHO was junk, they made it for 20 years and never really fixed the major issues! (Very poor ergonomics and it was DEAF on HF frequencies)
However, the NEW TS-890 and 990 series are VERY GOOD but $$$$$
Just examples.
Then started looking around Yaesu...have been a big fan ever since.
Nothing wrong with some ICOM's.
I have the IC-9100 (full dress version $3K in 2010) it's OK...had other ICOM's did not like the programming set-ups or receive audio (just me)
I like the 718 except no 6m!!!
Good entry/bare bones level rig!
The IC-7300 or IC-7610 in my book...well don't ask because I am not a fan!:eek::rolleyes::LOL:
IC-7700 Top notch...but no longer in production:(
All the Best
Gary
Trashing the HF Airways since 1979

Gary, I did operate big radios with antennas mounted on very tall masts once upon a time. The point being that had these very delicate tuning knobs and I enjoyed being able to 'feel' my way around the frequencies. It had well balanced tuners that made the operator think he was opening a fine safe. How do todays radio knobs, wheels feel?

@sp5it, is that a fact? I see a lot of antennas with a bend in it, such as j-pole or a home brew with an inverted L shape. Are they considered a radial? Beaucoup bucks for the flagpole, but before I even consider any such device I need to know the rules in my community. I need to start dropping hints that I want a different house north of my current position Hmmm, them's fighting words round here podna. The Mrs. throws a terrific verbal uppercut.

I have solution for your antenna restriction problem.
Buy a junk car. Park it on your driveway.
Almost every car have roof rack mount. Make antenna mount placed on it's roof.
Put Titan TX on top.
Problem solved.
see a lot of antennas with a bend in it, such as j-pole or a home brew with an inverted L shape. Are they considered a radial?.
There radial is coax, metal gutter, everything metallic around. Which is very bad and lossy. Imgine, that you put 100W into, but antenna radiate 0.1W, the rest is heat.
There are many antennas don't require radial system, but vertical isn't one of them.
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRiverII
stealth-antennas.pdf (w4cae.com)

Indoor Antennas (arrl.org)

"Ladder-line fed dipoles are ideal for attic use—assuming that you can route the ladder line to your radio without too much metal contact. In the case of the ladder-line dipole, just make it as long as possible and stuff it into your attic any way you can. Let your antenna tuner worry about getting the best SWR out of this system."

HF Antennas Especially stealth models for those in an HOA (bvarc.org)

7 ideas for Indoor Antennas (dxzone.com)

StealthAntennaBkTextV28.pmd (rsgbshop.org)

@sp5it, is that a fact? I see a lot of antennas with a bend in it, such as j-pole or a home brew with an inverted L shape. Are they considered a radial?

A single radial will only work if it is elevated above the ground (3 feet or more). If on the ground or buried, you need several. That has been my experience.

Reactions: RedRiverII
I have room in the attic, low overhead but runs the length of the house. I will view all the material thanks.
@sp5it, I have not seen your suggestion yet, but if it reflects a Marty Feldman idea I can'r wait. I still cry laughing at Young Frankenstein.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated