• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fcc Warning To Pirates

I seem to notice a "common" theme with the OPERATORS of the Pirate stations.

The FCC trying to hold the building OWNERS responsible for some tenants illegal OPERATION of a radio is plain B.S.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION ENFORCEMENT BUREAU REGION ONE Columbia Regional Office 9050 Junction Drive Annapolis Junction, Maryland 20701 FIELD@FCC.gov (301) 725-1996 June 11, 2019 Watkins Cluster, L.P. Attention: Frank Lang Brooklyn, New York

NOTICE OF UNLICENSED OPERATION Case Number: EB-FIELDNER-19-00028711 On March 19, 2019 and April 18, 2019, Agents from the New York Office of the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC or Commission’s) Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) investigated an unlicensed FM station operating on the frequency 92.9 MHz in Brooklyn, New York. The Agents confirmed by direction finding techniques that radio signals on frequency 92.9 MHz were emanating from a multi-family dwelling at 2187 Strauss Street, Brooklyn, New York (AKA 73 Riverdale Avenue, Brooklyn, New York). Property records list you as the owner of the property.

It may be, but with no other recourse (I.E. they can't get into the building to locate which unit the signal is coming from) all they can do is to contact the building owner. Then said owner will have to do his/her own investigation to stop the broadcast, otherwise it will fall on them for doing nothing.
Does it suck to be put into that situation? Absolutely. But there is no other way to resolve the situation.

The punishment for operating a pirate station could soon be toughened if Congress passes the proposed Preventing Illegal Radio Abuse Through Enforcement Act or “PIRATE” Act (H.R. 583). On a voice vote the House has already unanimously passed the bill that would allow the FCC to fine someone who “willfully and knowingly” operates an unlicensed radio station up to $100,000 for each day they’re on the air—up to a maximum $2 million per incident. The PIRATE Act would also require the FCC to conduct at least twice-a-year enforcement sweeps in the top five radio markets—New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas.(y):D

Reactions: 357magnum
The punishment for operating a pirate station could soon be toughened if Congress passes the proposed Preventing Illegal Radio Abuse Through Enforcement Act or “PIRATE” Act (H.R. 583). On a voice vote the House has already unanimously passed the bill that would allow the FCC to fine someone who “willfully and knowingly” operates an unlicensed radio station up to $100,000 for each day they’re on the air—up to a maximum $2 million per incident. The PIRATE Act would also require the FCC to conduct at least twice-a-year enforcement sweeps in the top five radio markets—New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Dallas.(y):D

What happens when they're unable to pay? I've always heard that amateurs and cbers that get busted usually get off because they're broke, or get the fine reduced substantially.

An old college friend had a pirate FM in Berkeley CA back in the 90s. Called it "Free Radio Berkeley". Used a frequency after the licensed station signed off Sunday nights. Got around the direction-finding thing since feds only work days Monday through Friday. Hiked up into the Berkeley hills to get antenna elevation. The whole station fit in his back pack. Gave out the street address and phone number of his office on the air. When the FCC first came to visit, all there was to see was a couple of desks, a phone and a filing cabinet. No studio, no transmitter.

They hauled him into court anyway. The fancy DC lawyer the FCC sent to 'Frisco federal court was snotty with the woman judge and got sent back east to improve his 'case'. Stephen's lawyer used a first-amendment argument that probably wouldn't have worked if the FCC lawyer hadn't been such a dick.

The assessed fine was $23,000, but a new court appearance was never scheduled. I'd bet the farm he'll never pay it as long as he lives.

Monster fines sound scary, but I'd love to see a score card for how many of them ever actually get collected.

nomad, you went to college with Steve Dunifer?

very cool. i have been following his exploits for a long time.
a true free radio activist.

I think they were selling kits for a while for low power transmissions.

was he the same rebellious soul in school?
LC

was he the same rebellious soul in school?

In a word, yes.

Not sure about statutes of limitation, so I'll skip some of the stuff we wanted to do back then. Our attempt at building a blue box didn't turn out well. Still had a lot to learn about precision circuit design.

He's the only person I know to get his "First Phone" license younger than I did. I thought getting mine at 19 was young. He was 16.

The FRB transmitter kits are a thing of the past, far as I know. He still does some free-lance electronic design.

We stay in touch. Seems oddly reassuring to talk to somebody from time to time who makes my politics sound conservative.

kop, i have that book in paperback somewhere.

very cool stories and info in there, especially the urban neighborhood stations!

thanks for posting that, i haven't thought about that book in a while.
LC

Reactions: bobl9355
So 20 years of "Cease and desist" with no fines or equipment confiscations wasn't working out so well?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated