• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many radios do you run?

On my bench I have a Lafayette SSB 140, an ICOM 7610, a Yaesu ft 2400 and an anytone 778. I have an antenna switch between the ICOM and the Lafayette, then I have an antenna switch between the anytone and the Yaesu. Two antennas on my third floor deck and 180 foot wire across the house.

That stuff cracks me up, people have like 5 cb radios all hooked up and powered on, hahahaha, whats the point? One radio for each Channel? Lol, absurd. Even hf rigs, i can see one vhf/uhf, one hf and maybe another hf rig thats set up for data or something. More than that is just ridiculous. 5 cb's, hahahahaha.

I juggle between 3 base station trying to figure out which one to invest more time and Money in. ( 1 ) Cobra 2000 with Extra Channels, ( 2 ) GE Super Base, ( 3 ) A new Galaxy DX 2547. I know it's only a matter of time before the Old radios need some money dumped in them to keep them Stroking, but the New galaxy could use some upgrades also! And then sometimes one of my Mobiles takes a seat on the bench for testing. Keeps me home and out of Skirt Trouble. LOL Remember I'm a Old Dog and been Barking at The Moon a LOOOOG time !

Reactions: Rwb
I have somewhere between 0 and 12 radios running at a time. This time of year I ramp up especially when it gets cold outside. Now with daily openings on 10M I reallly like monitoring the FT8 with WSJT .

I guess that I would not count the satellite receiver stuff on SATNOGS and the ADSB receivers at home and the airport along with the APRS digi station since those are mostly automated. That would count as 5 radios and antennas.

Most of the time I have one HF radio monitoring digital modes most recently FT8 and WSJT.

I like building antennas and really enjoy things when it all comes together with the feedline matching the antenna matching the receiver and getting first class results. I heard OMAN on 10M this week.

Sometimes I leave on the scanner with fire/ems/sheriff/aviation but only a few hours a month as of late.

A Navy buddy used to say "He who dies with the most toys wins" but I think that too much stuff is a waste of time... so I just keep it down to the things that I enjoy using year after year.

I have dozens of radios, only 8 in the operating station at the moment. President Madison, Icom 718, Hammarlund HQ-One Eighty, Midland MXPW115 GMRS, Stryker 955, Sonar FS-2340, President Lincoln 2+ and a Uniden BC785D Trunk Tracker3 scanner. I only use one at a time, depending on what I feel like running. Having multiple radios on the big MFJ-4726 allows me to compare the RX on multiple radios at the flip of the switch.

Awh crap, wack my pee pee, RTFM! Does RTFM mean RTFQ; "Staff Member"?

Q: How many radios do you run?​

A: 5

I beg your pardon for my expounded upon response. Curios I am; how many egg rolls does near 17K posts equate to.

Last edited:
  • Haha
4 total. They are:
Base 1: Realistic TRC 490 Navaho SSB with a Turner Super sidekick.
Base 2: Uniden PC-122.
Marine mobile: Cherokee AH 100 SSB walkie talkie.
Mobile: Cobra 148 GTL

A few others are in the closet, but these are the ones hooked up and getting used.

Reactions: Keto and Rwb
I juggle between 3 base station trying to figure out which one to invest more time and Money in. ( 1 ) Cobra 2000 with Extra Channels, ( 2 ) GE Super Base, ( 3 ) A new Galaxy DX 2547. I know it's only a matter of time before the Old radios need some money dumped in them to keep them Stroking, but the New galaxy could use some upgrades also! And then sometimes one of my Mobiles takes a seat on the bench for testing. Keeps me home and out of Skirt Trouble. LOL Remember I'm an Old Dog and been Barking at The Moon a LOOOOG time !
Sell the Galaxy all it is is a dx 949 in a box, they drift so bad on Sideband most people never turn them off but still an unstable radio as far as frequency on Sideband goes

Reactions: whiteastro
I have dozens of radios, only 8 in the operating station at the moment. President Madison, Icom 718, Hammarlund HQ-One Eighty, Midland MXPW115 GMRS, Stryker 955, Sonar FS-2340, President Lincoln 2+ and a Uniden BC785D Trunk Tracker3 scanner. I only use one at a time, depending on what I feel like running. Having multiple radios on the big MFJ-4726 allows me to compare the RX on multiple radios at the flip of the switch.
You remind me of one of my locals triple three he’s got a ton of radios, they all work
and he switches them around

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Sell the Galaxy all it is is a dx 949 in a box, they drift so bad on Sideband most people never turn them off but still an unstable radio as far as frequency on Sideband goes
I think I,ll keep it for my camper and add extra channels to it. After all it is the only New base I have and with the lack of radio techs I'm getting tire of investing in Old radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.