• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this the new Stryker SSB?

I just keep shakin my head when looking at that board!!! You gotta love that nightmare looking SMT and I can only imagine how these would take a special hand for warrany work like some of the others.:eek::w00t::censored::unsure::headbang

Sadly Tony the tuning coils and presets aren't also smt,that would keep the nuggets out them with their super whack pack mods/npc mods,limiter removals etc.going by the soldering i've seen in some of these mods,if these guys tried to mod a smt radio they'd short out half the board with their blowtorches.

when i look back over the years at the amount of quality radios i've seen butchered by fuckwits i think the only thing missing on these smt radios is them having the cases welded on.

LMA:laugh:R:LOL:TF!!! @ JAZZ....Thats actually funny because thats the first thing I said to my wife about these boards how touchy ans small it all is and explained that its like her HF rigs. I told her that Ill watch the internet and can possibly score one from someone who indeed whacked it but never got to pack it because the whack backed them into a corner where there was noway or nothing left to pack.

I really want one of these things if Bob can get his hands on one of these Ide send him the money to purchase and send one back to me here in the states providing the SSB is solid. (y) Can you get these Bob or PM me info please????

That should tell you all you need to know about who paid to develop that board/radio.

exactly,i think you'll find them a lot easier to source in the states soon Tony than we will over here,unless of course CRT France gets ranger to do them a version as they are about the only ranger supplied importer in western europe now as president only deal with uniden now after falling out with maycom over the enigma that was the President Roosevelt/Stabo XF-9082/Super Star 4900B/maycom bs27.

most likely it will arrive branded as superstar/ranger or galaxy or probably all three.

Although i ain't entirely convinced Ranger isn't making uniden boarded radios too nowadays,i'm sure shioda can confirm/deny that,i know at one point certain european president radios went from being uniden made to ranger made but still kept the same transceiver names which would probably infringe copyright,but theres no trace of any copyright lawsuits on the net.

i personally think ranger rci bought over a lot of the old uniden companies that made export radios sometime in the mid 80's to early 90's,but finding anyone to confirm it is like trying to find dodo pooh.the i in rci stands for incorporated if i'm not mistaken and i think they incorporated factories that previously did uniden stuff.

its a subject i'd love to know more about as i'm interested in the evolution of export radios,but despite e mailing uniden both in the states and australia there is nothing but denial,a bit like cobra denying anything to do with the 148 gtl dx despite it having their address on the box,duhhh.

i may be wrong but i'm sure shioda could clarify the situation,he seems too know more than most about ranger rci's history.

i'm very surprised anyone thought it was a stryker radio as it screams RANGER RCI.especially the knobs which are typical of ranger built superstars,galaxys etc,as is the rectangle around the channel selector.First thing i'd do when i get one is haul that green ch led out and replace it with a red one.the green looks totally out of place on an orange and red display radio.

i'm hoping that the backlit lettering is led or flourescent based as opposed to the crappy whining el based ones,if so it would be a radio well worth having that won't howl like a banshee or go dim in time like el displays do.backlighting is ideal for night operation and long overdue.

Last edited:
Jazz I also looked at that Green channel display and thought what the hell??? It is definately out of sorts with that orange Frequency display forsure. I am not really into the export thing but this radio has caught my eye I can do with out any channel display but theres one on those rigs so its either black tape over it or deal with it I guess.

I am anxiously awaiting these radios I was looking at other HF Rigs though I have to many now and I also would like a 4 pin export or cb type radio like a galaxy 959 or a ranger style 696FC or something. I really dont use my exports on 10 meters even though Im sure I could.

If this new radio is a solid SSB radio as my RCI Chassis radios I have now are, then I will just pull my wifes 857D from her vehicle and have her run one of these new radios with an amplifier for 10 meters and if I dont get rid of this newer Icom I have in the box here Ill put that 2200H in her vehicle for 2 meters I have mostly Yaesus and a few others I could also use for 2 meters for her. Seeings how we really only use 10 meters and 2 meters anyways due to her antenna setup shes running.

Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled for this new radio and if any of you know of them hitting the states PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS A HEADS UP ;)

Jazz I also looked at that Green channel display and thought what the hell??? It is definately out of sorts with that orange Frequency display forsure. I am not really into the export thing but this radio has caught my eye I can do with out any channel display but theres one on those rigs so its either black tape over it or deal with it I guess.

I am anxiously awaiting these radios I was looking at other HF Rigs though I have to many now and I also would like a 4 pin export or cb type radio like a galaxy 959 or a ranger style 696FC or something. I really dont use my exports on 10 meters even though Im sure I could.

If this new radio is a solid SSB radio as my RCI Chassis radios I have now are, then I will just pull my wifes 857D from her vehicle and have her run one of these new radios with an amplifier for 10 meters and if I dont get rid of this newer Icom I have in the box here Ill put that 2200H in her vehicle for 2 meters I have mostly Yaesus and a few others I could also use for 2 meters for her. Seeings how we really only use 10 meters and 2 meters anyways due to her antenna setup shes running.

Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled for this new radio and if any of you know of them hitting the states PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS A HEADS UP ;)

Hi Tony,

yeah i thought the same about the ch display,but its no big deal changing it for a red one if you can use a solder sucker,at least its not those horrible blue ones.

i saw ch displays in italy that changed from green to red on tx/rx,they looked ok but the seller has disappeared recently.

i can't see any reason for not using an export radio on 10m,especially if you keep it to legal coverage,;) outwith a few snooty farts giving you grief over it i'm sure they work just fine,in some cases better than hf radios which have compromised performance to cover many bands.

if the counter on that one is an actual counter and not just a display as many are then if you changed crystal to cover the whole of 10m then it would read out the 28/29 mhz frequencies too.

its a fine looking radio and a vast improvement over all those previous mp3,bluetooth type gadgety radios that have been appearing lately,only thing i'd add to it is a processor for poor ssb conditions to give a bit more oomph.

i've never had any trouble with any ranger built radios and in all honesty i think the difference between them and early uniden exports (namely the cobra 148 gtl dx and superstar ss360 fm) is grossly exaggerated by those who let nostalgia override reality.only thing i found is they drift from cold to warm,but then so do most radios and once they reach operating temperature they are pretty stable,for the money i find them hard to beat as i don't do flashy radios with gizmo's that offer little constructiveness to the radio,i prefer basic honest hard workng radios that are reliable.the rci 3900hp looks nice too but sadly hasn't reached here yet,although i would prefer a +10kc shift to the talkback offered on us models and a processor instead of an echo board fitted which are the two niggles i have with my 3900 eghp.but other than that i love these type of radios.

I feel the same way 100% WITH ALL THE ECHO AND GADGETS LIKE ROBOT VOICE CHANGER blah blah blah. Ide like to leave all that out and just have the frequency display and a Processor

its a nice looking radio for sure!! BUT on a serious note i wouldnt expect many to be sold! not here in the uk anyway! you would have to say it would be about £300 when all is done like vat. import duty ect ect!! if its cheaper then its a bargin!! still makes the second hand hf rigs look good!!? thanks for posting pics bob!! 73s.

To bad the mic plug is on the side of the radio, it almost looks like a car stereo and you could buy an adapter and make it in dash

I actually have a SuperStar 4900B (Maycom made) it looks nice but has issues so Ive never actually ran it I was thinking about using it as a wheel chuck or as a stepping stool for my wife to get into the higher up cabinets!!

I actually have a SuperStar 4900B (Maycom made) it looks nice but has issues so Ive never actually ran it I was thinking about using it as a wheel chuck or as a stepping stool for my wife to get into the higher up cabinets!!

That's the one! Couldn't keep finals in it.... :bdh: On second repair I sold it with out even trying to use it, I had enough!! :censored:

mechanic

Not a Ranger, but has copied some things they cannot sell here, so if it is sold there is going to be a lawsuit, for sure.

This radio finally steps out of the mold of CB radios we have seen coming our way for the past years. Although the board is similar it has been redesigned using all SMD components so is very neat and spaced out. Very few wires cluttering the insides. What makes it so different? Well apart from the pretty colours; It shines up like a christmas tree in the dark...it has a PC function. With the progrm and cable we can program this radio from our PC's. Although the radio came with 6 banks of 40 channels covering from 26.5 to 28.3 you can use the program to put in whatever frequencies you want up to 60 per band. Neat..Hell yes.
I did not like this radio too much at first..it does have some weird habits that take getting used to. It is fiddly and arrived with the Beep on that just drove me nuts while I searched the manual for the buttons to push to get rid of the beeps everytime you pressed or moved something! It also has a strange habit of remembering where you moved the multifunction clarifier to and returning to it instead of the channel that should be in that spot. However the PC program made it all come right. I could program in the entire freeband from 27405 to 27705 in 5khz steps. Beautiful. No more messing around with the clarifier. You have the choice of programming in different frequencies for TX and RX so you have some fixed split frequencies ready to go as well. 60 channels s a lot of inputting and it all has to be done by hand. Once you get what you want you can save it and go about devising another set which you can save under another name. Unreal.

More at 91DD018`s Blog91DD018's Blog - Windows Live

Jeff

Attachments

• AT-5555.JPG
    AT-5555.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 108
this radio

Hi guys, I have them and can sell them into the US but the freight will be high.
I think I can land them on your door step courier paid for US$285 ea. 5 to a carton or singles.
it is a strange radio...I wasn't too impressed but you can buy a programming cable and upload what ever frequencies you want between 25.5 and 30mhz into the 6 bands of 60ch.
Anyway check my blog for more photos and details of the program. Needs a PC and the cable. (US$8.00) Cable fits into a slot in the mother board. This thing will take you places you have never been before with a CB./10m rig. Dual IRf520 mosfets but set for 21w PEP so runs clean and cool. No bloody mic gain which is a bummer in my book. General design is similar to the norm but all SMD so fiddly. Very neat board. New front panels are blank. Will be going on sale in the EU for about 200 euros. Not sure if anyone has picked them up in the USA yet.
Also the SSB handheld from dragon is being re - released. I heard Magnum may have the rights for the US...Sam may already be looking at them...pretty much the same as before with a few new parts but no new features.
There you go.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.