• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's getting closer to quiting time for Radio Shack.

just about 2 or 3 years ago best buy was planning on buying radio shack,and changing there name to the shack,,,i ddint think it would ever go thru or work if it did,,,what happened to laffette,,,,

They did try to change their name to "The Shack", but that had nothing to do with Best Buy. That was a Radio Shack management idea to try and move them away from what people thought radio was at the time, instead they wanted people to consider them as competition to the big box stores like Best Buy, who was doing well at that point.

To double check I looked around, and I can't find anything anywhere stating that Best Buy tried to purchase Radio Shack at any time. I, however, can find tons of news articles on why they Radio Shack to change their name to The Shack.

The DB

RS can stay afloat if they start selling lotto, cigarettes, beer and energy drinks.

Maybe even slot machines that pay out tokens for store credit. :ROFLMAO:

Edit:
...and e-cigs. I passed an Amish store in southern OK recently and I'll be damned if there wasn't a vape shop behind it.

Last edited:
I might go see Norm(anything but), a ham operater that works there at my nearest shack in January for a new phone and and maybe some clearance sale items.
Nowadays I go on www.superbrightleds.com for that,and on different websites for any other goodies.
Radio Shack might be good to buy some electronic part at the spur of the moment if it's in stock anymore or not.
These were the only other guys in my area but I think they've changed since then
http://www.slaytoncomputers.com

Last edited:
our radio shack left town a couple weeks ago. I will miss them, they had a few items that I would pick up there now and then. there is still one about 15miles away , we will see how long they last, ill have to go there till all of them get shut down

RadioShack (RSH) shares on Thursday plummeted a whopping 35.6% -- to a scant three nickels per share -- on a report that the company could file for bankruptcy protection reportedly as soon as next month.

I personally cant say all their product were or are junk, I own several items and yes like most companies Radio Shack does have some garbage in the thousands of products they have or had. There 2000 Watt analog SWR meters are far better built better and mor accurate than Dosy Workman and half the other garbage CB type crap sold today. Their Digital 2000 watt meters made in the mid 1990's are far better than the new MFJ types made today. I read the reviews on the Radio Shack meters and was not surprised the were ranked higher than a lot of or most of the others but a lot of people don't know that because they never checked on it. There are mods to help the meter readings to make them even better and I have 2 digital and 6 of the analogs versions.

Their CB radios were made by Uniden and there Ham gear was made by Kenwood and Icom. The problem is their prices were sky high!! Biggest issue is as mentioned the workers have absolutely NO knowledge or electrical know how or background and when asked a question they are dumbfounded and say they don't know or bull$h1+ their way through the question. My wife and kids used to laugh when Ide mess with the workers in the stores kids and I would look at something Ide explain a few things and then ask a worker about it and my kids would laugh at what came out of those employees mouths because my kids were already told the answers but then the kids would laugh and kinda ruin it.

It sounds mean but I wanted my kids to know that life isn't always handing you all the right answers and you have to becareful with what you hear or learn and you should get a few views and answers to narrow it down to being whats correct. Those staores are simply their own demise in the end.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Their Superbowl commercial last year was clever, but actually missed the mark by 180 degrees!

I had more use for EVERYTHING they took out, than the 10,000 flavors of cellphone covers they stock nowadays. :rolleyes:

The '80's are calling... and we DO want our store BACK!!!

Reactions: TonyV225
not seeing any signs of a GOB sale. the one a few miles away has some 102 whips in stock I wouldn't mind getting on the cheap.
not seeing any deals on line either.

Got a text from a friend last night, told me that all items at Radio Shack were being sold for 30-50% off. Some items more than that. May stop by my local one and see what they have left.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.