• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It's getting closer to quiting time for Radio Shack.

If Radio Shack would actually sell a better overall quality choice of items at a fair price, they would stand a chance. Furthermore, they would need to have continual oversight. Their bookkeeping practices got them where they are today.

There needs to be a place where one can go to to build and fix consumer electronics, get pro advice, and have decent quality parts available.

They should also dump that 'Realistic' trademark. I cannot think of anyone that deserves to get the 'top cheesy' award more than Radio Shack does with that branding. It evokes the thought that what they are selling is just phoney enough to pass for the real thing. Or second rate, for which it has been. Really messed themselves up by promoting a negative confidance like that.

tandy/radioshack shut up shop here years ago, they drifted towards cheap n crappy remote control cars stereos phones ect and less components at a high price ,
the staff were trained to talk bullcrap about things they knew nothing about then they closed,
maplin seem to be going in the same direction.

That's the issue...There aren't enough electronically inclined hobbyist to keep a store in business.

You beat me too it. I was thinking the same thing, that there are very few qualified service techs out there that work at the component level. Most simply know only how to diagnose a problem down to the board level and swap them out.

The Internet created this

I disagree actually. If anything the internet has allowed a better sharing of info enabling someone to repair their gear. That's what I think unless I misunderstood what you meant by it.

I'll admit that not enough people are savvy enough to fix their own problems when they arise. We do live in an age of disposable items. As a country, I think that we should stop being that kind of stupid, as we become more dependent upon electronics, we should also be able to fix it. I consider this a major fail.

We live in a disposable world full of cheap goods that have planned obsolescence built into their service life. The hobbyists are just not in large enough numbers to have retail stores full of almost every imaginable part required to fix everything unless tat is all they do is sell parts like Mouser and Digi-Key. radio Shack could never exist in that market alone.

Its a shame really. I walk into radio shack, and all they wanna do is sell me a cell phone. They're like vulture used car saleman. I guess that's their A game anymore.
Its easier to just buy parts online, rather than waste your time going to radio shack to buy parts they don't have.

Reactions: Lil'Yeshua
That's the issue...There aren't enough electronically inclined hobbyist to keep a store in business.

I disagree with this. We have several electronics hobby groups in the area. That being said, unless it was an emergency situation, not one of the members I know of would be caught dead inside a Radio Shack, and I don't blame them. Radio Shack simply doesn't cater to any of the communities that made it a success decades ago, and this goes from hobby electronics to radio, and beyond.

The DB

I was always excited about going to RS as a kid in the mid 60's. It was in the early to mid 70's that I started to notice that their products had a much cheaper feel to them. Their early gear was stout and well made, only to become cheap, light and flimsy. It really started to turn me off. I feel that was the beginning of their demise, just my own opinion.

Today's SM stuff requires a higher level of knowledge the average tinkerer doesn't want to learn. Plus, it doesn't help when the far east churns stuff out so cheap that all you have to do is go out and buy another.

RS can stay afloat if they start selling lotto, cigarettes, beer and energy drinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
I disagree with this. We have several electronics hobby groups in the area. That being said, unless it was an emergency situation, not one of the members I know of would be caught dead inside a Radio Shack, and I don't blame them. Radio Shack simply doesn't cater to any of the communities that made it a success decades ago, and this goes from hobby electronics to radio, and beyond.

The DB

I SERIOUSLY doubt that your local hobby groups are going to spend enough money to keep a local fully stocked electronic parts shop in business.

Guys we have to accept the fact that RS will never make a comeback as we once knew it. It’s a dead horse. I do visit them once a month for a few small items and they know not to bother talking to me by now. But RS is done so you can stick a fork in them.

Yes I miss the days of walking into a fully stocked RS or any electronic parts store. But with the help of the internet and overseas buying they are now obsolete. Other than the few bins at RS there are no electronic parts stores around here anymore. Not one within 100 miles. And there used to be 10 within 30 miles here. When I go online I am only after what I am looking for. When I walked into a electronics part store years ago I see things that I would not see online and end up spending more money.

With that there are also no repair shops around. And this is no small town I live at. Even I used to work at a Curtis Mathis store here years ago. And I don’t count computer stores either since they only change out boards and stuff. There is 2 TV shops still around, but they are in the country side and both are ran by older retired gentlemen.

So I agree this is a throwaway society we now life in.
Short story, I bought a refurb pc 2 years ago. It runs XP. We have tons of computer stores here. Not one of these stores sales a copy of Windows 7. Only Windows 8. This machine will run Win 7 with no problem but not 8. This forces me to do one of 2 things. Order 7 online or recycle a perfect work pc and buy a new one.
I shut up now...

I miss the old RS as well but they were never going to survive progress in electronic technology because they couldn't become anything other than what they were. Actually they sill have an identity crisis going on. So they sell mobile phones and whatever cable or satellite service they are hawking this month and not much else. I really don't even pay attention to the other crap they sell when I go in there for a fuse or LED bulb.

I go to Best Buy for my entertainment technology needs, eBay for parts and any one of the online Ham gear retailers for radios, antenna, etc.

I think I miss being able to walk into Heathkit store more that I'll miss RS when they go.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.