• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New connex hp with 4 pills built in!

oscar169 said:
..... the only thing werid is the radio has about a 6" lead on the antenna wire coming out of the back.....

the reason they are doing this is to eliminate stress on the coax. many times the radio is pushed all the way to the back wall of a radio hole or to the windshield for a dash mount. the coax is then bent right up on the coax connector. having a pig tail eliminates this. companies like yaesu, kenwood, icom, etc figured this out some time ago.

There is no way that this can be reliable with the amount of heat it will generate especially if you change the 1446 pills to 2879's. Not to mention i don't even know if its possible to shield the inner workings enough from the massive amounts of RF this thing will generate.

I cant really see many people spending $600.00 or more for this thing any way and i would be willing to bet that this will be one of the biggest flops in the history of radio!

I sent the mod info to Bennie @ CBTricks for what needs changed for the pill swap for these. Hopefully he will post it soon.

King Mudduck said:
There is no way that this can be reliable with the amount of heat it will generate especially if you change the 1446 pills to 2879's. Not to mention i don't even know if its possible to shield the inner workings enough from the massive amounts of RF this thing will generate.

I cant really see many people spending $600.00 or more for this thing any way and i would be willing to bet that this will be one of the biggest flops in the history of radio!

DIDO,
$600.00 can buy you a Kenwood.. That does 50 to 100 watt's..
Tom

" Get the new 4 pill connex and your 2970 and swap the bottom cover/heatsinks and wala!!!!!! Make sure the connex uses about the same amount of drive as the rci does though. You may over or underdrive the amp. I also wonder If the connex uses 2 1969"finals" instead of rangers 1 final driver. Any way If you really want your 2970 to be 400+ watts try it and if it works put the old 2970 amp back on the connex and sell it as a 4600 turbo "

That has to be the dumbest thing i have heard yet about these new radio's, give me a break. This thread is worth reading just for the laughs from people gonna swap in 2879's and swap covers and this shop here says 500 watts, that one says 600 watts. Get real here people.

too much heat in so small a enclosure
we will wait and see

besides at those prices
there are far better used radios to get

you know what i mean

were is it going to end these galaxy radios on the market right now the likes of the 95t are suitable enough for a big truck and plenty of power for talking across the pond

Ok, I have the radio on my bench.

Here are my first impressions based on appearance alone.

The amp looks like a very well-thought-out design from a layout point of view, with the cabling all going to the amp before heading to the radio. Its very easy to work with compared to RCI chassis with the built-in amp. The supplied power cord is made from high-grade, fine-stranded wire, with a monsterfuse link in-line. Fusing is redundant, as well, with each amp section having its own 30-amp internal fuse. The power connector is a heavy-duty unit, and should handle any current the radio could ever pull.

The amp appears to have some low-pass filtering built into it (surprising), and is housed in a pretty sturdy and RF-tight casing. This casing also will be VERY good in dissipating the heat. I'm not sure yet, but it also appears to have some rudimentary biasing going on. I need to test the radio to say for sure. As for the 2879 conversion, just from a first glance, I personally don't think it would be worth the bother, even though it looks like the 2879's will juuuust fit. The rest of the radio is a typical Connex 3300/4300/4600 board, so I won't bore anyone with discussions there.....

Here are my opinions base on some quick tests.

The amp does VERY well (as was expected), topping out at around 375-400, even with less than the best power connection (I used some doubled-up #14 speaker cable with alligator clips for quick testing). Audio is nice and strong with good clarity once the AMC is set properly. The amp DOES seem to have some biasing, because it draws about an amp or so with no drive, and with the AM regulator unhooked from the circuit (no voltage to driver/finals).

Over-all, I think its a good radio. Time will tell if its going to hold up in a truck, though.

I'll see about posting some pics later....

Oh, I almost forgot, the amp board is a Ranger EPA400W10B.

Connex CX4300-300

Member of the site send in some pictures of the Connex CX4300-300
I wanted to see it but couldn't due to work and he only had a few.
They where all sold and had to be shipped out before I could get over to his place.
He said it was way too expensive and didn't think he would sell many but it is cool they could cram all that in the chassis.

Anyway we have some pictures.
http://www.cbtricks.com/new_products/radios/connex_cx4300_300/index.htm

Bennie

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.