• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New SSB export radio coming soon - RCI X9

hmmm. a five digit counter, no course on the fine tune. no vfo....great am rig......I cant see a lot of fun on sideband, am I missing something ?

Sell sheets are silent about what's in the "120 Watt" power stage. Four IRF520/RT1 smoke grenades?

A SWR-sensing shutdown, or "turndown" would be real news. Another firestarter isn't.

I just worked on one yesterday. New out of the box, plugged it in and it blew a 30 amp fuse. Turns it the wiring harness was wired incorrectly! 12 gage wire is separated in 3 sections for + & - . Someone at the factory put red tubing on the negative and black on the positive 12 gauge wire at the Molex connector. So some genius wired it in reverse into the Molex connector. Poof. Have to post a picture. FYI it borrows the same 4 mosfet board from the 2995DX CF.

I just worked on one yesterday. New out of the box, plugged it in and it blew a 30 amp fuse. Turns it the wiring harness was wired incorrectly! 12 gage wire is separated in 3 sections for + & - . Someone at the factory put red tubing on the negative and black on the positive 12 gauge wire at the Molex connector. So some genius wired it in reverse into the Molex connector. Poof. Have to post a picture. FYI it borrows the same 4 mosfet board from the 2995DX CF.
So it burned up a few minuets before it normally would...

So it burned up a few minuets before it normally would...

Gotta wonder. Has anyone compiled a "KBK" rating for this radio yet?

As in "Keys Between Kabooms". Brand new, we have found them with the gate bias turned way too high from the factory. How many times can you key a new radio on average before this causes trouble? Makes me wish for a tiny counter inside the radio that bumps up one every time you key the mike.

Even a radio that gets the amplifier bias set to a safe level will be unhappy with any SWR at all. And if you want to drive an amplifier with it, this will count, too.

That story + one I saw in the Lescom video with the crushed wire from the amp section makes you wonder.

If the manufacturer will replace a $25 RF output transistor with a 25 cent power supply part, you know any quality control went right out the window long before that poor choice was made. You also know that bias mistake is nearly impossible to make unless no care at all was used to set the control. Probably set by "eye" with respect to the pot, rather than ma. meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.