• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

Wow, I just read all this and the thing that sticks in my head is the hand full of resistors from that one video that was needed to make the amp work. He didn't know the value of resistance because he didn't even know how many resistors were all bundled up. He is just doing anything. You would think that he would at least google it in order to figure out what to do. To the people defending him, it is great that you are satisfied with the work he has done for you. This is your choice. I hope he continues to work out for you in the future. The hand full of people on this forum won't make or break him but his YouTube videos will. I don't have any tech certs for radio and I don't even have a gold screwdriver. I have a plastic screwdriver and I would never have him work on my radio based on his videos alone. This is my choice.

You want certifications?

Ok,

We're all customers here, yes - we are his customers - the fish in the school - with tim and his sharks circling about look for an easy meal...

I'm the guy that got charged $121.74 for the same part the tech claims to have put in the radio because the first one was "bad" but he had a spare...gee, tough luck eh?

I'm the guy that paid cash for that radio - took it home to try it out - returned it to have it checked because the "TX audio" wasn't quite right, what I got back was a totally different serial number - with a claim that " it had a bad part - so I sent it back to the factory to show them - a quality issue" - I gave back a brand new radio now I'm stuck with someone elses' refurb.

We are the couple whom he spends 5 minutes on a vid for us when we decided to buy a 980 for our trip - he rants on just telling them to keep the box looking like new and how to go about keeping the box in good condition so he can accept it if they don't want it and wish to return it.

I'm the guy that found you thru these posts and you know tim and he owes us a lot of money for the free advertising he takes out on us - we call it spam - keep it to yourself and your Youtube account.

Looks more like the customers that come thru his doors are paying for his previous mistakes...

We are the ones that Tims' sends his Minions out to find due to his less than ideal results that get posted as true facts. Once discovered they are harassed. Stalked. Harassing them until they are forced into hiding, erasing their tracks due to veiled threats. (Sound Familiar?) Take your rape and stalking issues out of here - they simply do not belong

We are the ones that do our research first, and if you don't like our decisions - too bad.
(It took over a year before any resolution was made...)

We are your your "Caveat Emptor"...

Understood?

There are a lot more sane ways to reduce the output power of the 880.
It was doing 7 watts or something.
The radio, in order to meet regulatory requirements does 4 watts max.
But they usually align these to below 4 watts "just in case" and less than 100% modulation "just in case"

If he had left the radio alone he would be a lot closer to managing the problem.
The simple solution is get the modulation to 100% if desired and then detune it slightly. Won't hurt anything and it will reduce the output to an acceptable level.

That bundle of resistors will affect the receiver as well.

Tweaking the radio to max output then trying to attenuate it to drive an amplifier shows a complete lack of even basic abstraction or understanding of the problem to even determine the best solution or outcome.

Now, some poor unsuspecting customer has a radio that will likely fail and certainly have reduced receiver performance.
Let alone the now horrible mismatch between the amplifier and the radio.

But that's okay. Snake Radios customers can put their heads in the sand.

ok please tell me that someone got a copy of the general Lee video that was up last night but has since been removed!

It was pure gold.
LC

well, in the interest of defending my use of the word "gold", here is a basic run down:
(these are not attacks, this is the actual content of a video he posted to youtube)

Tim has a General Lee that he is doing his mods to and adding a stinger board.

He notices the volume control is getting worn out and decides it needs replacing.
He finds an old junker in his radio pile and decides that the pot in it is better than the one in the radio so he changes it out.

He notices that the receive is cutting out before replacing the pot and starts smacking the solder side of the PC board hard with the butt end of a screwdriver for a good couple of minutes straight.

During this time one of the people he lives with comes in to tell him about the wonders of Cymbalta, and how it might be good for him. He gets frustrated with the person and tells them he's not changing anything.

soon after, another roommate comes in to ask him to turn something down, and he responds with "close my door!" "close my door!"

he shames Truck CB shop for putting in a swing kit while taking a radio that does 40 watts PEP and then installs an amp in it that does 130 watts PEP. (who knows how many watts were actually on 27mhz as he never uses a spec analyzer. swinging 40 watts into a stinger board is sure to drive it right into saturation)

He also calls out Loyal Servant for slandering him.

he installs a larger AM modulator transistor. It was unclear whether it was an actual Max Mod, or if it was a sub. Since he has not installed one of these before, he decides to do a "stress test" to see how hot the radio will get under full modulation and leaves the radio keyed up until he can't even touch the chassis.
Yes, he experimented on a customer's radio!

this customer paid almost 300 dollars for a harmonic spewing radio with used parts put into it.

Is it any wonder that video was only up for less than 24 hours?
LC

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N and PoDuck
The issue I see with Tim is that he doesn't need to be slandered.
I don't see anyone actually doing anything but pointing out what he himself is doing.

The idea of being slandered is that it has to be false.
If we are pointing out the resistor thing as was earlier in the thread, that's not slander.
It's his video. He did it. He posted it.
As is the case in this thread. It's just point out what HE is doing.

If he wants to go get an attorney and pursue it he is welcome.
But he is going to need to find one that does not value his/her reputation.

How long before the 880 with the resistor comes down?
Best save it now or watch it now.

no, no, NO!

The last video he put up he is telling a customer that he needs to see a picture of the SWR "with the amp on" to check their antenna so he will warranty the radio/amp.
He also talks about being "harassed" on the internet.

So, if you are a customer and you want to check your ANTENNA SWR do *NOT* turn on the internal amplifier. The radio is going to measure the SWR of the AMPLIFIER, not the antenna!

I drew a crude diagram for reference.. so excuse the crude drawing...
It should be obvious why you cannot use the internal SWR meter with the amplifier on to check your antenna...

980 with amplifier swr the right way - Copy.png

OKAY.

So what I detect is that Snake Radios put out a call to his loyal followers to come and counter the mean people on a forum.

Am I correct @DavidB?
I'm not one of his customers, but I've spoken to a couple of them over the years. Both of them sounded just fine unlike the several muddy sounding radios tuned by Mike I've heard recently.

I would not know because I don't ask the people I talk to who did their radio.
It's irrelevant. If I hear them and they hear me that's good enough.

What gives me pause about your assessment of anyone is you have admitted to doctoring audio to convey how you thought it sounded rather than how it did sound.

I talked to a guy a few years ago that was running a Cobra 148 GTL that was done by Snake Radios. It sounded good and made the trip. Lets stop bashing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.