• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scary Snake Radio "Setting Up" President Lincoln II V3

He does that. Like I said a nervous person. A while back when CB kidd was posting videos of his work he did the same thing.
But it looks like he does have his clients who love his work.

There is a distinction.
Is the activity stupid or is the person stupid?

We should refrain from calling the person names or applying stereotypes but point out the activity as such and why the activity is the problem.
We won't get anywhere with him or his following if we call him names.

So, I disagree with him being called "Stupid"

Stupid people do stupid things. After someone does a lot of stupid things they are deemed to be stupid. Smart people know that. Stupid people don't.

I would never send a radio to a guy that cleans the radio with water, that's just plain stupid. Yes Tim, I said you're stupid, now Minions go tell Tim, I said he is stupid and has no clue about electronics.
In principle, I agree with you, in 99.5% of all cases there are much better and more professional detergents to clean a device. But there are also special cases where hot water (around 50°C) and a soft brush (animal hair) is the most efficient method, such as Cola on some PCB's. Of course, one should also use his intellect and make sure beforehand, if indeed all components tolerate this procedure! After that an ordinary hair dryer is used and the circuit board can be installed again.

As I said, that certainly happens very rarely, but justifies the use of clear water.

Reactions: PoDuck
Why? So people can take offence after posting something stupid or making false claims that their tech can get outrageous performance?

No sir.
I'm just behind the times, binrat, or out in left field because I just can't grasp calling Tim stupid (or anything else). It seems to me that pointing out the things he does that are questionable or known to be wrong should be enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Low_Boy and Martian
Again, there is nothing wrong with cleaning electronics with water. I use water on surface mount boards all the time in the ultra sonic bath, and that is something I do multiple times a week. All surface mount boards get the bath in my shop after I have done anything with a surface mount chip, because it is too easy to have debris get between pins on those boards, and flux has a habit of being a little sticky. Any board I find, surface mount or otherwise, with more than just dust on it, such as a spilled drink, or insect droppings, I will wash, whether or not it is surface mount. Washing radios is not a reason, in itself, to not like the guy's practices. I would say that there are situations where a technician refusing to wash electronics would show they are not a very good technician.

On the other hand, I ran across a President Washington video of Tim's last night, where it was a little dusty, and he told the customer a wash was needed, and that it would be an extra cost. I saw no reason it was necessary on that particular radio. A vacuum and a light brush should have gotten that board as clean as needed. There was nothing on the board that needed solvents at all.

In that video, I watched him change out poly caps and tantalums that were just fine, he changed out every pot, regardless of whether or not it worked, and several other parts that were unnecessary, such as wires. He also makes a point that he is using $100/lb. solder, which is meaningless.

That guy either has the dumbest and richest customers in the world, and/or he doesn't charge what he should for his time. He spent over 16 hours on that radio, which in my shop, 16 hours worth of work would be around $1000, if I have a less skilled employee do it, and $1600 if I do it, and that's not including parts.

I don't have to speak to whether or not he gets the job done when it comes to repair. Every single thing he did to that radio could have been the right thing to do if cost were not an option. In reality though, even if the customer just demanded it be done, regardless of the cost, that customer should be counseled against going to such extreme measures, because that radio will never be worth the money he puts into it.

So, no matter if his radios sound the best in the world, I couldn't endorse going to the extreme measures he does. It just isn't worth it.

You mentioned cleaning a board comprised of surface mounted components.
We use ultrasonic cleaning in manufacturing and yes, it's base is water.
The difference is that components are verified to be safe in ultrasonic cleaners.
Not all are, but we know that he isn't using ultrasonic cleaning so that's moot.
But since you do it.. you know the additives prevent issues unlike what straight chlorinated city water will cause.

We are talking about a radio using leaded components built between 30 and 40 years ago that contains transformers that will wick that water right up.

There are some videos on youtube in "other places" that have some of his deleted videos. He shows a working radio, then he washes it with a hose, then a few days later it had bad transformers.

I think we can draw a reasonable conclusion that the transformers rusted internally, and either became open or shorted.

He replaces a lot of transformers... ironically in previously working radios... like, when he shows them working. Then they suddenly stop working.

You just have to know what your doing. He does not.

Reactions: MicroWave
sorry for destroying this thread from now on
ill keep my personal feelings of certain people to myself
have a nice day.

sorry for destroying this thread from now on
ill keep my personal feelings of certain people to myself
have a nice day.

Jon,

You'll always be high on my list because you are the only member who graciously participated in my Random Act of Kindness thread and took the time and effort to help a fellow member. I admire you for that.

It's me who has destroyed the thread.

Jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.