• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Time is now to revive CB Radio

That’s really weird but I ordered 2 as well. $17.98 and free shipping. I doubt they’ll ship because the cost is ridiculous. It will cost them more in shipping than the cost of the radio. We’ll see, someone screwed up on pricing.

Well they are shipping /something
That’s really weird but I ordered 2 as well. $17.98 and free shipping. I doubt they’ll ship because the cost is ridiculous. It will cost them more in shipping than the cost of the radio. We’ll see, someone screwed up on pricing.
Well they are shipping /something/ to me. Hopefully its not some lame mixup and it's just the owners manual or microphone or something lol
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 12.17.17 PM.png
Oh well if it is. It's only 8 bux.

I actually started a thread about these radios a few weeks ago because a local had one he wanted to sell and I was wondering if it was a rebadged Cobra25 (its not).

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/midland-5001z-what-is-it.260382/

999 posted the schematic there. If these actually show up i'll post the board pics and channel mod in that thread rather then derail this one.

Last edited:
Is it worth petitioning the FCC for FM use on CB
A couple of the radio manufacturers submitted comments during the circa 2017 Part 95 reorganization open comment period supporting narrowband FM (about 2 kHz deviation in a 10 kHz channel) on the 27 MHz band. The FCC declined the request/suggestion to add FM modulation. Too bad, it would have put the European CEPT and U.S. FCC CB services more in alignment.

After the initial decision, a manufacturer submitted formal notice requesting reconsideration. Here's a copy of President Electronics USA's comments on the matter, from the FCC archives:

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/105242612413431/May 24 2018_CBRS_ex parte notification.pdf

For some reason, the FCC wants to keep the CB Radio Service the same as it was in the 1970s? I think FM modulation has been available as an option in European countries since the 1980s. The hard work has been done, all you have to do to harmonize the U.S. and European standards is to copy the parts of the European standard that cover angle modulation (FM) into Part 95. Here's PDF copy of the European standard ETSI EN 300 433 Citizens' Band (CB) radio equipment:

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/300433/02.01.01_60/en_300433v020101p.pdf

Last edited:
Talking repeaters and such??
No, repeaters were not considered or suggested by the manufacturers. Just FM modulation as an option, like you have AM, USB, and LSB modulation options in a current U.S. market radio.

Imagine if you could run FM modulation and a 100 Hz PL tone so the squelch didn't open on every modern diesel truck ignition system or overhead power line you encounter on your drive. Though technically the current FCC rules permit PL tones or DCS with AM/SSB operation, no manufacturer puts a tone board in an AM/SSB radio for the U.S. market. Tone boards are sometimes manufacturer options for the parts of the world that allow FM modulation, and are standard on higher-end 10 meter radios.

Some EU countries are FM only for their CB band. Presidents letter to Uncle Charley didn't seem very convincing to me. They didn't push any major benefits to be had by adding FM other than they can sell more radios.

Is there much desire here for the use of 11m FM?

Is there much desire here for the use of 11m FM?
Maybe from a radio enthusiast prospective. But realistically today I think it would just fragment an already small userbase.CB's main advantage is it's universalness and low learning curve. "Go to channel 4".
The #1 user of CB by a long shot is the trucking industry.
The 2nd largest is the off road community.
Way down on that list is the people who would know or care what FM was. And those radio enthusiast (users of this forum) types are already running something like an "export" radio or amateur rig anyways. FCC? who?

Another issue I see with private line fm existing on the same channels as AM is the PL users would just step on AMers because they wouldn't hear the traffic.

If this thread succeeds in reviving CB it might be worth revising FM. (y) But for now I think it would hurt more then help with the fragmentation.

Edit: If CB did take off again and I was radio king for a day I would have FCC accepted radios be hard coded for Ch1-23 AM only. And then multimode 24-40. AM/FM/SSB/digital. :cool:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.