1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

What about a food ideas section?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Captain Kilowatt, Oct 7, 2014.

?

How about a foodie section where we can swap recipes, cooking or grilling ideas etc.

1. Sure. I am a foodie and am always looking to share ideas.

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No. It has no place on a radio forum.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. fogdog

fogdog Sr. Member

Tonight were making a favorite up here.
    Highlander Fries.
    A plate of fries topped with pulled pork, Cheddar cheese , and then Bar-B- Q sauce.

See you at the Cardiologist office. Lol

2. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I think the fries, cheese, and BBQ sauce should be on the side.
    Just give me some flour tortillas some Pace Picante sauce or Pico de gallo and watch out for your fingers. I had had a very old BBQist tell me the only time you put sauce on the meat is to hide a mistake you made.

3. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

You got me wanting to leave early for work tomorrow morning just to get to Habenaro's for some badass breakfast tacos with fresh Pico. Barbacoa and fresh Pico.

357magnum likes this.
  4. Tallman

You just cannot beat several tacos stuffed with Barbacoa good pico a dash of salt and very light spritz of lime. Especially if it is lingua!

357magnum likes this.
  5. Tallman

The wife has been given the task of locating a beef tongue for the Crock Pot.
    Man you talk about an easy meal, rinse thoroughly, split the tongue with a sharp knife.
    Take one Spanish onion dice fine and caramelize in butter and place in crock pot lay both sides of the tongue on top of the onion. cover with water and add four or five Bay leafs. Set on high until it boils, switch to low and cook for 10 more hours.
    When done take the tongue and use a spoon to scrape meat from the rough outer covering. Discard or feed the rough cover to your dog.
    Use a fork to pull the meat apart and serve with the broth.
    Lingua here I come!
    You can do the same with Chuck roast, but you can't call it lingua.

#80 Tallman, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    357magnum likes this.
  6. Tallman

One thing I forgot to mention, as it is cooking in the crock pot you get hungry, and hungrier as time goes on. Right now I am so hungry I could eat the ass out of a skunk!
    When the cooking is finished do not discard all of the thick and rich broth.
    There is another dish I'll make with it later and it is a childhood favorite mine and my son loves it too. The Amish call it "PanHaus". Sliced into 1/2" slabs and fried in butter.
    Then you fry some eggs and place on top. When I do the egg routine I cut it all up and use some salt and pepper. It is a great winter morning breakfast for outdoor activity like hunting. Or you can pour Molasses or maple syrup on it and chow down.
    My recipe includes equal amounts of cornmeal and flour and no liver as some do.
    https://www.tasty-german-recipe.com/pan-haus.html

357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  7. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Would that be scrapple? It is a Delaware favorite!

971c5260-4fb2-4622-9312-64a9ae9950e2_1.ac77f1b940fb8a6d0f8dace49d9b8e96.jpeg

2NC995, 357magnum and Tallman like this.
  8. Tallman

I have heard it called both. I like my mom's recipe equal flour and corn meal. I have had it with liver in it and did not like that at all.

357magnum likes this.
  9. Shadetree Mechanic

I have been told that there is everything but the squeal in it. I put ketchup on mine, unless it's with pancakes. Then it gets syrup.

357magnum and Tallman like this.
  10. Tallman

I have bought 2 or 3 lbs of pork sausage and boiled that for the broth and it works very well. Mom did it the Old Stingy German way by scraping old soup bones and digging the marrow out of the bones. On rare occasion she would toss a pound of ground meat in it.

Shadetree Mechanic and 357magnum like this.
  11. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Back in the 70's on a Bike Trip through Pa the Wife & I stopped @ a Diner in Pa . I saw Scrapple on the menu , ordered it , tried it ... Nope Not for Me ! Never had it again ! This Yankee will stick w/ his plain Ol' Bacon !:whistle::sick::LOL:

2NC995 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  12. Tallman

Must have had liver in it! I don't use liver in my Scrabble/Pan Haus. I bet you would like my recipe.

13. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

No offense Tall , I don't like Liver ( another Body Part I don't Eat :LOL: ) Growing up my Mom was from Wv & cooked it often & different ways , never acquired a taste . When I got my drivers licence she would say " Better stop @ Mc Donalds tonight it's Liver & Onions for supper " . But I ate it a lot of years because in our house you ate what was put in front of you ! Not sure it works that way any longer in some homes .

2NC995 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  14. Shadetree Mechanic

Oh yeah, when our kids don't finish their supper they eat it for breakfast the next day. They are not afraid to try new food and they even like brussel sprouts. Haha

2NC995 likes this.